News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever try electrolysis for rust removal?

Started by General_01, January 13, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

My cousin brought this to my attention a while back. He found this on the web. We have not tried it yet, but I am thinking of doing this to my hood. I plan on trying smaller pieces first, but it looks like it works. Has anyone here tried this?

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

General_01

Thanks Troy.

I guess I need to remember the search function, eh.
496 stroker
4-speed

moparstuart

back in the 70 's and 80's jc whitney sold a little electrolysis box you hooked up in your car to the body.  It was suppost to prevent\stop rust.  I had one dont think it worked .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Troy

Quote from: General_01 on January 13, 2009, 01:27:50 PM
Thanks Troy.

I guess I need to remember the search function, eh.
It pops up every now and then and every time I learn something new. I think the biggest drawback that most people point out is the time involved. But hey, my stuff sits for long periods of time with no progress so if it were to be rust-free for once I could consider that progress.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

General_01

I think the time issue is only valid if your trying to make money in repair. For those that do this stuff to our own cars I don't think it is an issue. Just my opinion though.
496 stroker
4-speed

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Chad L. Magee

Electrolysis does work on smaller parts, but can be a pain to scale up for large ones.  (I usually use dilute acids like vinegar in my rust cleaning processes as they are much easier to do: place a part in the solution, wait a week and rinse.)......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......