News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a good distributor choice for my 383?

Started by bull, January 13, 2009, 12:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I found a guy who's got a used Mopar Performance distributor for sale, part #P3690427 Electronic ignition conversion kit for 361-383-400 engines. He wants $50 and tells me it was only ran for two hours during some dyno tests, aka "virtually new" he says. It does not come with a electronic control box, distributor only.

My question is would this be a good one? Also, how much will and ECU run me and what else will I need to make this setup work? I assume I'll need a harness and a ballast resistor too.

Charger-Bodie

bull, combine that dist. with a msd6al (for the rev limiter) and you will have the perfect combo for you're application.

A rev limiter is very cheap insurance for any manual transmission vehicle. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

That seems like a good deal....new electronic distributors sell for ~ $150 at Summit. If it's a newer version (less than 5 years old) it will also have the adjustable stops built into the advance plate so you can fine tune/recurve the distributor....a huge bonus !  :2thumbs:

I agree with Brian on the MSD 6al.....with a stick car i would definately want a rev limiter. Missed gears can ruin your day in a hurry.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rt green

adjustable stops? i have one thats new thats from the 90's. i also have one thats i'm guessing 2? years old. theres a difference?
third string oil changer

Ghoste

Yes, the older ones had to have the slots altered in the timing plate in order to fine tune the advance curve.  You had to either file or weld up the slot.  The newer ones are actually made for Chrysler by Mallory and they have adjustable stops in the plate.

rt green

third string oil changer

bull

It doesn't sound like the older ones are really worth having based on what I'm hearing here.

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on January 15, 2009, 10:22:03 PM
It doesn't sound like the older ones are really worth having based on what I'm hearing here.

Sure they are....just weld up the slots to limit mechanical advance and they work fine. I have one of the older MP units in my 446.  :2thumbs:

The newer distributors are just so much easier to set up.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

I'm not following. :shruggy: Anyone have pictures of this procedure? Some you have to file and some you have to weld? I'm confused.

Ghoste

If you weld too much you will have to file some out, there is a bit of trial and error to it.  Sorry I should have clarified that.

bull

Oh, ok. I couldn't figure out why you'd have to do both.

So is there too much adjustment in the older ones? I wish I could see what it is you're talking about.

**EDIT** here's something: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=4774218&page=0&fpart=2

69chargerR/T

Does the guy who has the distributor know when he got it, if its only a few years old it will be the new style with the adjustable advance. Also if you look down inside  the distributor where the weights and springs are you will be able to see the screws that adjust the advance if its the adjustable one. I'm not sure what year they started selling the adjustable one but, I think it been quite awhile. 

bull

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on January 17, 2009, 06:45:04 PM
Does the guy who has the distributor know when he got it, if its only a few years old it will be the new style with the adjustable advance. Also if you look down inside  the distributor where the weights and springs are you will be able to see the screws that adjust the advance if its the adjustable one. I'm not sure what year they started selling the adjustable one but, I think it been quite awhile. 

He thinks it's less than five years old. :shruggy: The sticker on the box says 1998.

There are adjustment slots underneath but they use allen head bolts. I'll post some pictures later.

69chargerR/T

I did some checking you can also tell if you have the adjustable advance if the distributor is brass where the rotor slides on the shaft. If you see screws and adjustable slots it is the adjustable advance. Get the mallory advance kit and its very easy to set up :2thumbs:
Just make sure you check the air gap, but if its already been run it should be ok. This is the advance kit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MAA%2D29014&autoview=sku

bull

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on January 18, 2009, 02:42:19 PM
I did some checking you can also tell if you have the adjustable advance if the distributor is brass where the rotor slides on the shaft. If you see screws and adjustable slots it is the adjustable advance. Get the mallory advance kit and its very easy to set up :2thumbs:
Just make sure you check the air gap, but if its already been run it should be ok. This is the advance kit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MAA%2D29014&autoview=sku

Yea, it's brass on top. Here's some pics of the adjustment setup and the rest of what I got yesterday. In the box we have a steering column/firewall seal, a steering coupler seal, a water outlet gasket and an inspection plate. Got all of it for $75 :2thumbs::

69chargerR/T

Thats a good deal Bull, you can tell that distributor looks barely used  :2thumbs: They sell for $161.00 at summit.

Charger-Bodie

Now , get youself an MSD6AL And you will be all set!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 19, 2009, 08:16:51 AM

Good advice !

Nice score Curtis....that distributor is the one you want.  :2thumbs:

Ron

bull

Like so? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D6420&N=700+400122+115&autoview=sku

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else do I need to know to complete the electronic ignition set? The distributor came with a ballast resistor so I got that covered.

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on January 19, 2009, 10:45:14 AM
Like so? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D6420&N=700+400122+115&autoview=sku

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else do I need to know to complete the electronic ignition set? The distributor came with a ballast resistor so I got that covered.

Yep, that MSD box is exactly what you need ! You don't need a ballist resistor with the MSD box.  ;)

One other thing is good ignition wires. I can get you a nice set of Firecores and you'll be all set.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 19, 2009, 08:16:51 AM

I actually like the MSD6AL2 myself - I like that is it smaller...   I don't need the two stage rev limiter - but the smaller size is pretty cool.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 19, 2009, 11:02:28 AM

Yep, that MSD box is exactly what you need ! You don't need a ballist resistor with the MSD box.  ;)

One other thing is good ignition wires. I can get you a nice set of Firecores and you'll be all set.  :2thumbs:

Ron

I was looking at the MP ignition harness from Summit since I'm probably already going with their MSD box. Are they any good?: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DCC%2D3690152&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I sent an email off to ask for a price on a Firecore set. Any idea what they normally run?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 19, 2009, 07:27:16 PM

Ron

I was looking at the MP ignition harness from Summit since I'm probably already going with their MSD box. Are they any good?: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DCC%2D3690152&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I sent an email off to ask for a price on a Firecore set. Any idea what they normally run?

Bull, Ron (firefighter3931) Is a salesman for Firecore wires I got mine from him.  :2thumbs: he'll treat ya right!

Charger-Bodie

Also bull, you really shouldnt need that harness you linked to. Unless just for the end tha plugs into the dist wires....but you can get that off of any jusk yard car with that style electronic ign.

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 19, 2009, 08:02:10 PM
Quote from: bull on January 19, 2009, 07:27:16 PM

Ron

Bull, Ron (firefighter3931) Is a salesman for Firecore wires I got mine from him.  :2thumbs: he'll treat ya right!

Oh, heck, that makes it easy. It's about time something was easy. :2thumbs: Now, are we talking spark plug wires or ignition harness wiring from Firecore because I didn't see any ignition harnesses from Firecore them like the ones I linked above from MP.