News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So how much should a slant 6/318, plain jane 68 and 69 go for?

Started by elanmars, January 12, 2009, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elanmars

I'm on the search-but all I see are 440 this, 440 that or on the other side of the spectrum, waaayyyyy too much rust, basket cases...I know that Chargers aren't as common as other rides from other companies. As a Charger lover, I just want the killer looks, not so much the performance so if i want to, i can use it for daily driving. I'll leave my '73 as the faster car, I hope to give it upgrades to make it more fun than it already is.

anyway, just curious as to what prices I should be looking into, what a fair price would be, etc. I don't even care if the inside needs re-doing, if it needs paint-just as long as the body is straight, no rust and it's mechanically sound.

I can dream.....
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Troy

Well, realistically, most people will tell you it costs the same to restore a "Plain Jane" car as it does for something a bit more rare (but the rarer car will be worth more in the end *if* you had to sell). Also, it doesn't cost much more to rebuild a big block than a small block and its simple to toss in a 440 where another big block once was. That's why you see so many converted cars. A large percentage or total Charger production was 318 and 383 2-bbl cars. Add in 383 4-bbl cars and you have the bulk of everything that was produced. There were very, very few 6 cylinders made - probably because a Charger is such a large car. People also tend to use the basic cars as parts to restore the more desirable cars. I have more big block cars than small block cars just because that's what I found.

Back to my first statement, the body work, paint, trim, interior, wiring, and lights/lenses cost the same no matter what the original engine was. The rear end, transmission, brakes, and suspension are nearly identical in cost as well. The only time you'll see much of a price difference is in finished cars. Sometimes a really rare project will go for big money but nice projects aren't cheap in any case.

As for a price range, I'm not sure. The market is way down right now but I'm not seeing a lot of good stuff selling. Parts prices don't seem to have been affected much.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ITSA426

I've got a plain jane zero option 3 speed '66.  It wasn't any cheaper to restore than any of the other cars but it is a lot more driveable, better gas mileage and just fun. 

That being said, plain doesn't make them cheaper to buy, and rare doesn't particularly make it more valuable when selling.  I paid what a Charger is worth in its condition and it would sell for what a restored Charger sells for if it ever were to go up for sale. 

Neal_J

Due to their rarity, I think there is a base price for a solid base-model Charger in good shape to which one or more premiums is added for highly-valued options (e.g., 440, Hemi, 4 speed, SE or combination thereof).  A finished & complete 318 2nd generation Charger in great shape is worth, roughly $10-15K, IMO.   

Not to hijack the thread, but I've also noted that parts prices have yet to drop as much as cars as Fearless Leader commented.  I'd hope to pick up a few things but I guess folks that need $$$ are selling the cars not the parts. 

Neal