News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What all do I need?

Started by jdiesel33, November 20, 2008, 01:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

I am getting ready to order new floor and trunk pans for my 68. Are there other things I need besides the actual pans themselves? I see other parts listed like extensions and braces, etc., but not sure if I need those for this exercise. I want to make sure I get everything I need and preferably all at once. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

hemi-hampton

Do you need Trunk Extensions, this is the peice that hangs done on sides & connect to lower 1/4 panel edge. Look at these from under car to see if Rusty. If so, Buy them. These are easier to put on with 1/4 panels off. LEON.

69hemi

Another thing to look at is the gas tank brace.  This is the brace that spans the frame rails and the gas tank nestles in.  Again this is the time to do it if yours is bad.  If you run across any items that are rusty but are not available in repops let me know as I have a guy that has tons of rust-free cuts from B-Body cars like frame rails rockers etc.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

jdiesel33

Thanks for the help.

I have the old pan cut out now. I need to replace a few things for sure, but am not sure what they are called. Please see pics below. One is the long, narrow piece of the pan that is on the far left and right sides that butts up against the 1/4 panel. Seems to be a bridge from the pan to the 1/4. Is this the extension? The other are the 2 braces that are at the rear of the pan that are connected to the pan and to the rear wall. Triangular in shape and on either side of the trunk latch. Hopefully you guys can tell me what these are called so I can order them.

Also, please see the pic of my rear 1/4. The botton 4-5 inches on both are rotted out. Do they sell just that bottom portion or do I need to buy the whole thing?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

69hemi

The part you are looking for is called the trunk extension.  This is a right angle shamped piece of metal that seams into the trunk floor then welds to the bottom of the 1/4.  They collect a lot of water and gunk and are usually also bad.

Sherman & Associates has these partial panels:

They are pretty nice as I used them on my Roadrunner project.  Another good thing to do since you have this apart is to clean up the inside of the frame rails and coat them with Por15 or Eastwood's rust encapsulator to prevent any more corrosion.

Check out My website in the GTX and the Charger sections for tips of this and other sheet metal repairs and let me know if you have any questions.http://www.69hemi.com/index.html
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

jdiesel33

Quote from: 69hemi on January 19, 2009, 10:06:42 AM
The part you are looking for is called the trunk extension.  This is a right angle shamped piece of metal that seams into the trunk floor then welds to the bottom of the 1/4.  They collect a lot of water and gunk and are usually also bad.

Sherman & Associates has these partial panels:

They are pretty nice as I used them on my Roadrunner project.  Another good thing to do since you have this apart is to clean up the inside of the frame rails and coat them with Por15 or Eastwood's rust encapsulator to prevent any more corrosion.

Check out My website in the GTX and the Charger sections for tips of this and other sheet metal repairs and let me know if you have any questions.http://www.69hemi.com/index.html

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the guy putting in the new floors advised me to do clean and treat them as well. He told me just to go to an auto parts store and get some rust inhibitor. Do they sell Eastwood's products anywhere or do I have to order thru them directly? They seem to have a lot of good pub on here.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

jdiesel33

Can anyone tell me what these are called? They are under both tail lights and connect the pan to the back wall. Triangular in shape. I assume I can order them?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

rusty lee

Charger specialities calls them bumper support brackets.   

69hemi

Quote from: rusty lee on January 20, 2009, 12:02:55 AM
Charger specialities calls them bumper support brackets.   

Yep and it looks like those could be repaired as there just seems to be some rust on the edge but if you can get them at an affordable price I would replace them also.

I don't know of anywhere to get Eastwood products but directly from Eastwood but they ship fast.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

squeakfinder

I made my bumper support brackets. Its not difficult if you have a good vise, or access to a metal brake. I think it was 22 gauge steel, and you only need a few dollars worth.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....