News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valve covers for 400

Started by quentin, January 09, 2009, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quentin

Hey, my 73se has a 400 engine, and that 400 engine has leaky valve covers.  I appears that they were once tightened down too hard, and warped a bit - because I can't make the leaking completely stop.  So... I guess I have a couple choices.  Can I just use some RTV or something to fill the gaps in the gasket?  Or should I use this as an opportunity to upgrade my covers?

Any cover recommendations?  I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390022557723&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Any comments on them?  They look pretty good to me, but I find it slightly odd that both sides have an oil cap, instead of just one.  Also, they're a polished chrome-like aluminum, and I'd probably prefer something with more of a flat look.

thanks!
'73 SE, 400, 4 barrel with 3 on the tree

62 Max

Straighten the edges on a flat surface especially around the mounting holes (they are usually pulled down there from being overtightened) and get a pair of Fel-Pro # 1015 gaskets,they don't leak.Cheaper than replacing the covers.

quentin

Thanks!  I have already tried my best at the straightening job, but have not tried those gaskets.  Will give them a shot.

quentin

By the way, does anyone know of a good source for that gasket?  I'm coming up empty in my searches, at least for a 400 engine.

Chatt69chgr

Cast Aluminum or fabricated aluminum valve covers work very well.  They are expensive however.  Edelbrock has some of these too.  Work well if you don't have to have factory type stamped steel covers.  I believe Moroso has a nice reusable gasket worth looking at. 

62 Max

Quote from: quentin on January 09, 2009, 10:59:21 AM
By the way, does anyone know of a good source for that gasket?  I'm coming up empty in my searches, at least for a 400 engine.

You can get it from any NAPA dealer but you have to tell them it is in the performance catalog,not their regular catalog.It is/was also availiable from Mopar Performance pt.# P4452091.Same gasket.

quentin

Hey thanks, everyone... using the part number, I found a set on jegs.com and have them on their way to my door right now.  I'll give these a shot - hopefully will do the trick.

Runner

be careful when you tighten down cast valve covers. do it evenly and make absolutely sure that the gasket is inside the rail edge.  lots of people have over tightened them and cracked the ears off.   also id highly recommend  a a good and 12 point nut set. yuoll be glad you did. ive always used arp studs in the past but chose to cheap out this last time and got a set of trick flow.  the trick flows are ok, but the arps are defiantly better.  youll find a 6 point nut is very hard to get on the studs of a cast valve cover and getting bolts started just plain sucks.  the cast valve covers are thicker than the stamped steel ones and the bolt hole area is muck tighter.

these are the trick flows, my biggest complaint with these are the stude part that goes into the head is a little to long for my liking, they did work ok though but most of them wouldnt bottom out. 

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2D25200801&autoview=sku

the arps are fantastic in every way except price http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ARP%2D200%2D7614&autoview=sku

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

ive never used the moroso gaskets but im sure they are the best from all the feedback ive read. i think ill give them a try on my roadrunner next time sense it has a sold lifter cam and gets the valves adjusted every spring.   i really like the felpro part # vs5014r   ive never had one of these leak. i buy these locally from shucks/checker or my federated dealer for around 15 bucks (cheaper than summit and jegs)

i just looked the gasket up and partsamerica wants 12 bucks for a set   your covers wont come with gaskets http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=VS50145R

also alot of people add holes to the covers , i dont. i use a breather in the drivers side cover and a pcv the passenger.  you shouldn't need anything else youll also need a set of grommets for the covers.  the mopar part # isP5249642   this will give you a grommet for a push in brather,  but if you use a twist on you wont need that one and youll also get the pcv grommet that you will defiantly need.  you can typically get that from your local dodge dealer for 5-10 dollars. 

this is how i always set them up.

quentin

Thanks for those pics.  Gorgeous engine compartment, sir!

quentin

Oh man, I just found an essentially brand new set of Mopar Performance cast aluminum valve covers locally for $60.  This is about half what I've been seeing them sell for on ebay.  For that price, I think I'm going to have to upgrade!

Sublime/Sixpack

Are they the painted (black), or the polished ones?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

quentin

Actually, I'm not sure until I head over to check them out.  Should I avoid one or the other?  Or is there a value difference?

Runner

60 bucks is a great deal for either, the black covers are 112 bucks from summit and the polished is a little more.  good luck

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: quentin on January 12, 2009, 02:43:29 PM
Actually, I'm not sure until I head over to check them out.  Should I avoid one or the other?  Or is there a value difference?

No, they're both good. But like Runner said the polished set is more money. Just a heads up.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

quentin

Hey, thanks for the info guys.  Met up with the guy, and they were the painted version.  Went ahead and bought them.  They're truly like new.  He said a friend of his had them mounted on a motor in his garage, but then went another route - so he traded him for them, had them for a long time, but never used them himself.  There was dust on them, but not even signs of oil.  Should be on my car this weekend.  Yes!

ted

the mp covers leak like pigs

Runner

i have 3 sets of mp covers and none of them leak.  but i use good gaskets and studs.