News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 A/C Question

Started by BlueSS454, January 09, 2009, 01:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

Is there suppose to be a vacuum canister for the heater box on a 69?  I know the 70's have one.  The heater box in my car has 2 vacuum lines poking through the firewall and I have no clue where they are suppose to go....1 is short, 1 is long.  I'm gathering up all the parts to finish the system and make it functional.  The only thing I can't get new is an evaporator core so I'm just going to drop the heater box out and pressure test it somehow.  If it's not leaking, is there anything I can do to flush it out before closing the system?
Tom Rightler

Hemidog

Thank you ! Finally another one!
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51088.0.html

I searched everywhere, and no-one knows where the second one goes... :brickwall:

Another thread on the usual cars with one vacuum line.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9777.0.html

There was an older thread with a now inactive member with two vacuum lines, but I can't find it atm. No answer in that thread though.

moparjohn

OK had a chance to look at mine. The small one should have a gromet that goes though the firewall. It hooks up to the intake manifold tee on the back (behind carb)
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Hemidog

Ah yes moparjohn, you were the one:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c70d2330f4a6c002b36f2b3ddbd75874&topic=18219.0

I don't quite understand your answer, I know one goes to the intake for vacuum, but where does the second one go?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BlueSS454

I'm going to get some tonight when I head out to the shop.  I don't know for certain if this is the original heater box for this car though.  When I bought the 69, I got a 68 with it and all of it's parts.  In the parts, there were 2 total A/C heater boxes and 1 non A/C box.  I sold the 68 Charger and let the other heater box go with it....could that one have been the original one from my car...possibly.  I'll post some pics up of mine in an hour or so.
Tom Rightler

BlueSS454

OK, I just spent a half hour playing around with this thing and figured something out.  2 lines coming through the firewall.....

Don't mind the heater valve being disconnected, I need to get a kit from NAPA to repair it...leaking bad.
I had the short hose (black with a white tracer) connected to manifold vacuum.  I plugged the long one.  Nothing works on the heater box when it's connected and the recirculate door stays open.  I traced the short hose (which splits under the dash in a "T")  One goes to the control unit, the other goes to the bottom most vacuum pod ont he heater box....

After that, I switched them around and everything on the heater box works as it should.  The recirculate door stays closed until it's on Max. A/C.  The Defrosters only open when the Defrost button is depressed or the heater button.  All fan speeds work properly.  Now mine only blows hot air because I don't have the A/C system done and working yet as well as not having the valve in the loop with the heater hoses.  I can't think of anywhere that other line can possibly go.  I have it plugged at the moment and everything works as it should.  I know the 1970 cars had a little vacuum pod on the Heater valve that it could go on.  What good it would do is beyond me.  I do have a 1970 Heater valve on the shelf in my shop I could put on there and see what it does.
Tom Rightler

y3chargerrt

My 69 has only one vacuum line which connects to the manifold fitting. The picture below is a 69 Coronet that shows the one vacuum line.

BlueSS454

Doug,

What's the build date of your car?  Mine is mid June built.  Could it be that the late 69 cars got the 1970 box and valve?
Tom Rightler

Hemidog

BlueSS454 does your vacuum lines look something like this?
My underdash looked untouched, and it's an early 68.

For rebuilding the heater valve, check this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52190.0.html

BlueSS454

I didn't pull the connector off the control unit to see where each of those 2 hoses go...but yes, it looks just like you have pictured.
Tom Rightler

Hemidog

Gotcha, so that means the black line that goes directly to the controller needs to be connected into the vacuum intake, and plug the one with the white stripe.

Still, I'm just curious where it's suppose to go, and why there is a difference between ours and others with one line. :scratchchin:

BlueSS454

I have no idea.  Maybe I'll go to the junkyard tomorrow and look at a couple of the Chargers in there.  There is 1 1969 small block charger in there with factory A/C and 2 1970 Chargers with A/C.  I know for a fact the one 1970 Charger has a vacuum can bolted to the front of the driver side rad. support.  The 69 Charger in there might be a little tough to get at because there is another car on top of it  :RantExplode:
Tom Rightler

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 09, 2009, 07:45:15 PM
OK, I just spent a half hour playing around with this thing and figured something out.  2 lines coming through the firewall.....

Don't mind the heater valve being disconnected, I need to get a kit from NAPA to repair it...leaking bad.
I had the short hose (black with a white tracer) connected to manifold vacuum.  I plugged the long one.  Nothing works on the heater box when it's connected and the recirculate door stays open.  I traced the short hose (which splits under the dash in a "T")  One goes to the control unit, the other goes to the bottom most vacuum pod ont he heater box....

After that, I switched them around and everything on the heater box works as it should.  The recirculate door stays closed until it's on Max. A/C.  The Defrosters only open when the Defrost button is depressed or the heater button.  All fan speeds work properly.  Now mine only blows hot air because I don't have the A/C system done and working yet as well as not having the valve in the loop with the heater hoses.  I can't think of anywhere that other line can possibly go.  I have it plugged at the moment and everything works as it should.  I know the 1970 cars had a little vacuum pod on the Heater valve that it could go on.  What good it would do is beyond me.  I do have a 1970 Heater valve on the shelf in my shop I could put on there and see what it does.
Your car looks fantastic!  Here's an idea on the heater valve.  I took mine out and buffed it with a bench grinder wire wheel to make the metal shiny.  Then I bought flat clear in a spray can and sprayed it.  It looks like new and held up well so far.  Just an idea.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BlueSS454

Ok, I figured this out.  The 69's are suppose to have the single line coming through the firewall and to manifold vacuum.  The 2 lines coming out are from a 1970 heater box.  I took a complete vacuum line set off a 1970 Charger at the junkyard today and it is identical to the one in my car.  One goes to a vacuum canister, the other to the hot water valve vacuum pod on the 1970 cars.  To remedy this...I'm going to remove the one line I have plugged from the system entirely and put a vacuum cap on the "T" under the dash...probelm solved  :yesnod:.  I also removed the single line grommet form a 69 Charger in the junkyard so it looks right  :icon_smile_big:
Tom Rightler

Hemidog

Gotcha! thank you for solving the mystery!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tom, tell me you got the VIN #'s off those cars in the JY for the 69 & 70 registries!  :cheers:

PS----good to see you got it sorted out
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BlueSS454

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on January 11, 2009, 04:57:29 PM
Tom, tell me you got the VIN #'s off those cars in the JY for the 69 & 70 registries!  :cheers:

Chris,

I'll get them when I go back there probably in 2 weekends.  There are a total of 3 70's and 1 69 in there.  I've been meaning to do this but I keep forgetting to grab a pen out of the truck whenever I go there.

I rebuilt the hot water valve today too.  That was pretty simple.  The hardest part was rebending the 4 tabs that hold the valve on to the frame.  I must have done something right because I installed it, connected the heater hoses, started the car up and nothing leaked  :icon_smile_big:.
Tom Rightler

Hemidog

Tom, did you check if the valve closes when you push the lever from one position to the other? Do you have pictures of your rebuild?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 11, 2009, 08:58:54 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on January 11, 2009, 04:57:29 PM

Chris,

I'll get them when I go back there probably in 2 weekends.  There are a total of 3 70's and 1 69 in there.  I've been meaning to do this but I keep forgetting to grab a pen out of the truck whenever I go there.

I rebuilt the hot water valve today too.  That was pretty simple.  The hardest part was rebending the 4 tabs that hold the valve on to the frame.  I must have done something right because I installed it, connected the heater hoses, started the car up and nothing leaked  :icon_smile_big:.

Great thanks Tom :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BlueSS454

Quote from: Hemidog on January 12, 2009, 01:20:06 AM
Tom, did you check if the valve closes when you push the lever from one position to the other? Do you have pictures of your rebuild?

The valve opens and closes just fine with the cable control.  I bench tested it before I reinstalled it.  I don't have any pics of the valve apart, but it was pretty easy to do.  The hardest part was rebending the 1 brass tabs on the valve itself.  I was done with it in about 20 minutes or so.
Tom Rightler