News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 Build up. Valve Spring Question?

Started by 79JON, January 06, 2009, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

Im building up a 71 Duster with a mild build 360.  First off let me tell you what it is and what I will do to it.

74 360 block
Bored 30 over
KB 107's
Balanced
Stock heads w/minor porting, Gasket match
Voodoo 268 cam
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake
Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm carb
Stock Exhaust manifolds

My question about the valve springs is, can someone lead me into the right direction of which valve springs to get to match up to that cam.  The car is just going to be a weekend cruiser with maybe
a few trips to the strip. 

Thanks,
Jon

Challenger340

You'll need to match the Valve Springs to the Camshaft profile for satisfactory results, do you have an ACTUAL Camshaft part #, for example 60402, or 60403 ?

Either way, Lunati profess "their" 73949 Valve Spring for most sb VooDoo Hydraulics, which has the following specs;

120 lbs pressure @ 1.650"
265 lbs pressure @ 1.250"
This translates to about 350-360 lb Spring Rate.

Your heads will probably install somewhere around 1.69-1.76 depending upon Valve Seat, and Valve Spring Seat grinding, but as long as your close to the 100-115 lb mark for installed Valve Spring Pressure, don't sweat it.

It is a dual spring assembly with a Dampner, which means you'll probably need to have the Valve Spring Seats on the head castings machined to accept  small .750" Inside Diameter.
You'll probably also require new Retainers and Locks to accomodate the Springs.

If not sure, you can go look for further info here :http://www.lunaticams.com/PDF/LunatiCatalog.pdf

Hope this helps,
Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

79JON

Thanks man..  I appreciate it..  The cam I plan on using the the 60403 voodoo cam 268  I really didnt think I would have to use a dual spring for that cam..  Hopefully I can get away with a single spring and without doing any machine work on the stock heads.

firefighter3931

Comp Cams should have a single spring with a dampner that will work with that cam. The BB #911 valvespring is fine with the 268 VooDoo grind. Maybe call Comp and ask for an eqivelant SB spring.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: 79JON on January 07, 2009, 03:43:11 PM
Thanks man..  I appreciate it..  The cam I plan on using the the 60403 voodoo cam 268  I really didnt think I would have to use a dual spring for that cam..  Hopefully I can get away with a single spring and without doing any machine work on the stock heads.

You can certainly look around for something that'll fit without any machining, there's probably something out there.
Maybe check Isky.

Make sure whatever spring you get, can handle an extra .050" above max cam lift from the installed height before binding.

Typical problem with sb mopars though.
To get more power, we have to open and close the valve faster with quicker ramp Cam. But, we also require a spring, that will "keep up" with the faster events.
More Cam Ramp(power) = more Spring,
no way around it.
Only wimps wear Bowties !