News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 engine help.

Started by 69ChargersRule, January 08, 2009, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69ChargersRule

I have a 318 2 barrel motor in my car.I was hopeing someone could send me in a direction to make it run alittle better without having to put the motor and putting a cam in it etc.Could i get a 4 barrel manifold and a 4 barrel carb and it would run better?If so what brand should i go with.Also my distribuator is still points.Should i switch it out?Gimme some info....

1BAD68

A cheap fix to the points in your distributor would be the Pertronix Ignitor.
I did that conversion two years ago and it was well worth the 79 bucks it cost.
Also you can swap cams without pulling the engine, that would be a good improvement in performance as well as carb and intake while you're at it.

SeattleCharger

does it have dual exhaust?   just leave on the exhaust manifolds that are on it and have a shop run a dual exhaust back from those, maybe just match the other side to save a little money,   carb and intake and dual exhaust, even with stock exhaust manifolds, would help a lot, over 2 barrel and single exhaust

I had a dodge pickup with 2 barrel and stock intake on a 318, but had dual exhuast with glass packs, it sounded great and was more fun to drive with that sound, sounded like a cam was in it,  wasn't real loud though

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Foreman72

hey man...between these 2 i think u will find everything you need...i'm doing the 1st buildup myself as soon as $$ becomes available :scope:

hope these help :2thumbs:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/index.html
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

69ChargersRule