News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans/Oil Coolers

Started by Foreman72, January 07, 2009, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

hey do any of you guys run them in ur chargers? what benefits have u had? or hassles for that matter?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

flyinlow

I use a large B&M cooler. Trans. fluid is much cooler.    Drawbacks: paying for and installing it. Used metal lines with supports.

Foreman72

whats involved with dropping it in...besides the obvious...was it worth it? when u say paying for, is that an ongoing thing? the ones i saw in jegs where pretty inexpensive...not no-names either...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

Steve P.

A tranny cooler will add life to your transmission. The cost of buying it and the fittings and setting it up are much cheaper than having to do a rebuild.

Most run the cooler apart from the rad. cooler as it just puts the heat back into your tranny. UNLESS you are thinking about putting one on your winter car or truck, I would use the cooler only. Meaning I would bypass the rad. 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Foreman72

is it difficult 2 set up/maintain?
Eric "Foreman"

Steve P.

There is no additional maintenance with a cooler. 

You will have to fabricate some brackets to hold it out in front of your rad. or they come with plastic pull through things that hold it tight to the rad.   I don't care for the tight to the rad. idea. all the vibrating these cars do will eventually just make a hole in the cooler or rad. or both.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

flyinlow

No drawback to trans cooler.  If you mount it securely and route the lines properly there is little maintenance. Check for leaks occasionally and clean bugs off in the summer. I don't run the trans fluid thru the radiator anymore, just the cooler. Fluid temp. in pan stays below 200 * , usually below 150*
which is good  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

I can't imagine NOT running one.

Rolling_Thunder

when you consider 95% of the problems with autos are related to heat...    no reason not to run a cooler...   initial installation and no further work... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

A383Wing

I run just an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator in the Daytona...I also by-passed the radiator....made my own metal lines and ran them to the cooler from the trans fittings

Runner

id like to know what john kunckel thinks about running the fluid through the radiator before the cooler.   if i can, ive always ran it through the radiator then the cooler.   the tranny cooler in the radiator is in the return side its not in 180 degree coolant.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

I always run it throught the rad and then the cooler as well.  There is such a thing as running an automatic too cool but I can't imagine how it would be done in the typical performance car under it's typical conditions.

flyinlow

Took the Charger for a few errands  the other morning. Clear road 7 degrees.

After 30 minutes the trans. temp. finally started to registar, never got over 125* .

446 cu.in. of 10.6 :1 compression- best heater of any car we own.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: flyinlow on January 08, 2009, 08:18:02 PM
Took the Charger for a few errands  the other morning. Clear road 7 degrees.

After 30 minutes the trans. temp. finally started to registar, never got over 125* .

446 cu.in. of 10.6 :1 compression- best heater of any car we own.

I'm wondering if TOO cold of tranny fluid is a good thing...    I know engine oil needs to be a certain temp for its viscosity to work effectively...    you know - thin out and get into all the nooks and crannies...       if so doesn't your transmission fluid have to be a certain temp for it to properly function ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

flyinlow

I have driven newer cars that won't go into lock-up until the engine reaches a minimum tempurature. I don't know if thats for the engine or transmission's benifit.

One advantage of cooler only set up , is it eliminates any chance of antifreeze entering the transmission. I have seen two cars where a radiator oil cooler leak  allowed coolant into the transmission causing failure.

I did fabricate a cover for my cooler so the fluid would get warm on a cold day. Similar to the cover semi trucks use on their radiators in the winter.
I don't drive very often below freezing, because of the road conditions.

firefighter3931

FWIW....i allways run the cooler as a stand alone unit. Creating enough heat in the trans fluid is never a problem....too much heat usually is.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs