News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Former Creative Industries Detroit Building

Started by FastbackJon, January 06, 2009, 04:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Went there about a month ago, snapped some pictures... enjoy! First six are comparison shots. Couldn't really get on the roof parking lot, but I believe the cars were in that lot running parallel with the rear wall of the building.

Also noticed in Detroit, and not sure if this is just a Michigan thing, but they don't have the trigger locks on the gas pumps like we do here in Washington. I missed that convenience.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chargerdude123/DetroitDecember2008#
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

hemigeno

Doesn't look too much different from when Ghoste was there.  Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28410.0/all.html

I have thought of looking the place up myself just to say I was there.  Very cool!

Aero426

We took a whole bus full of people there in 2001.

moparjohn

I hate staions without the trigger locks, I once saw an ad for one you can carry w/you to use in those cases.  I can always find other things to do when filling, windows, garbage, eats, anyway it doesn't matter here in NJ, no self serve.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

moparstuart

Quote from: moparjohn on January 06, 2009, 05:24:25 PM
I hate staions without the trigger locks, I once saw an ad for one you can carry w/you to use in those cases.  I can always find other things to do when filling, windows, garbage, eats, anyway it doesn't matter here in NJ, no self serve.
why no self serve in NJ ?  afraid your guys will spill ??
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

No self serve?
Right now our gas is $1.25 a gallon (87 octane) at self serve stations. In fact, we don't have any full service stations now that I think about it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quotewhy no self serve in NJ ?  

it's a law . you can not pump your own gas  in NJ   :yesnod:   paid $133. today   :boogie:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

No trigger locks in Michigan or Ontario.  I think it's so that in the winter we won't go back into our cars to stay warm and then forget and let them pump all over the ground if the shutoff fails.
I'm glad people here are interested in the old sites.  I have friends in town that when we go to Detroit and I point out old auto landmarks they just give that glazed over look of boredom.

pettybird

probably someone saw Zoolander too many times and feared a fire...  Detroit also made you show ID after the OK city bombing to buy diesel fuel...

oldcarnut

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 06, 2009, 05:35:21 PM
No self serve?
Right now our gas is $1.25 a gallon (87 octane) at self serve stations. In fact, we don't have any full service stations now that I think about it.
I don't recall seeing any full service stations around my area in SC for many years. Even if they have a bay for service work they sure won't pump your gas. Went away like the annual inspections. $1.25 Wow.  Gas has been going up again here.  Avg. low was about $1.43 now getting back around $1.55.  Most of the stations end up with the locks off so I see people sticking their gas caps under it instead.  Thanks for the pics.

moparstuart

PocketThunder

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 06, 2009, 05:35:43 PM
Quotewhy no self serve in NJ ?  

it's a law . you can not pump your own gas  in NJ   :yesnod:   paid $133. today   :boogie:

one hundred thrity three!!!  Holy Crap you overpaid!   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:    :smilielol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

maxwellwedge

Quote from: moparstuart on January 07, 2009, 10:56:04 AM
  that full service sure is expensive

That's almost as much as Canada for Gods sake!

Bluestar

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 07, 2009, 09:56:03 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on January 06, 2009, 05:35:21 PM
No self serve?
I don't recall seeing any full service stations around my area in SC for many years. Even if they have a bay for service work they sure won't pump your gas. Went away like the annual inspections. $1.25 Wow.  Gas has been going up again here.  Avg. low was about $1.43 now getting back around $1.55.  Most of the stations end up with the locks off so I see people sticking their gas caps under it instead.  Thanks for the pics.

Massachusetts also does not have the trigger locks and they have a sticker on all the pumps that says it is against the law to stick anything in the handle (ie. gascap).  I had found that an empty 20 oz coke bottle works very nice for this.

Jersey is funny with the no self serve.  I used to forget and jump out and just grab a nozzle and go to town.  Most of the time the attendant would run over and take over, but occasionally they just let you do your thing.  (Very occasional). 

Gas is anywhere between $1.51 and $1.69 her in Mass. currently.

hemi-hampton

I feel kinda lucky I only work a block away from that old Building. I dont have to drive all those miles to see it :hah: LEON.

pettybird

maxwellwedge

Yup - Good old metric. Canada and the US were supposed to take the plunge together. We were both standing on the cliff and said let's jump on three. One, Two, Three........Canada jumped, the US didn't. Maybe we should of been holding hands  ;)

Anyway - I went to school one day and the teacher announced, "We are now on the Metric System". The what???

I am sure they did it to keep us confused about how much we really pay for a gallon of gas!

quapman

We still have the pump handle locks here in NC and in SC. They have been long gone in NY for years.

I found out the HARD WAY why they got outlawed in so many places.

STUPID, Lazy, STUPID (Did I mention STUPID?) people go inside the station, prepay, put the hose in their filler tube, wait until it's done, then pull it out and put it back on the pump. YES, with the LOCK STILL ON, Hose Valve WIDE OPEN!

I was in a hurry in SC one day with the wife's PT Cruiser and pulled the hose off its hook and hit the "on" button (had done the "pay with credit card" deal). Before I could get the hose in the tube, I was blowing gas all over the car. They could hear me M-Fing someone in Maryland, I'm sure. Came close again at a HESS here in Asheboro, NC.

I don't mind stations without the lock anymore.

I do mind STUPID people.

DUH
DUH
DUH

Steve

Ghoste

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 10, 2009, 05:39:10 PMI am sure they did it to keep us confused about how much we really pay for a gallon of gas!

They already had me messed up with that whole American gallon/Imperial gallon thing.  They didn't need to throw metric into it. :brickwall:

4cruzin

Quote from: Ghoste on January 07, 2009, 04:57:07 AM
No trigger locks in Michigan or Ontario

Actually it's just a few parts of Michigan that they don't use trigger locks.  The rest of Michigan has them!   :yesnod:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

72chargerSE

Nice pictures, BUT the one labeled "residential Detroit" is a bit misleading.... sure we have our parts of town that have seen better days, but please...we do have an image problem, and labeling a picture as such only adds to it for people that have never been here.

Did you drive around enough to see the progress this once PROUD city is making???????????

aussiemuscle

Nice bit of history. i wonder if the new tennants know what wen't on in that building all those years ago.

btw, the pump locks are removed because people tend to go back into their cars and then return with a body full of static electricity (see mythbusters episode)   :angel:

the "no self serve" thing is odd, since there is no driveway service anywhere in australia at all. Does it help with the fill & flee problem? (getting gas and not paying).

Metric system is so much better than imperial, i pity you guys in the USA. nuffsaid.

Aero426

Quote from: aussiemuscle on January 21, 2009, 08:10:38 PM
Nice bit of history. i wonder if the new tennants know what wen't on in that building all those years ago.

Yes they know.