News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 1968 Charger transformation project into a GL

Started by nelson_audet, January 06, 2009, 10:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

autodynamics

are you leaving the 68 tail panel in?? i see you left the side markers..?? :scratchchin:

PocketThunder

Quote from: nelson_audet on January 29, 2009, 11:24:18 PM

OK, What are the blue pipes hanging from the ceiling for?  Radiant heat? 

And what is the flying saucer with two tan pipes thingy hanging from the ceiling?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 30, 2009, 10:27:42 AM
Quote from: nelson_audet on January 29, 2009, 11:24:18 PM

OK, What are the blue pipes hanging from the ceiling for?  Radiant heat? 

And what is the flying saucer with two tan pipes thingy hanging from the ceiling?   :shruggy:
dust vacuum system maybe ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nelson_audet

Quote from: autodynamics on January 30, 2009, 09:22:00 AM
are you leaving the 68 tail panel in?? i see you left the side markers..?? :scratchchin:

yep i keep the car in 68 because i dont want to modify the structure of the car. If i decide to sell it 1 day  the next person will be able to change the charger into a 68 charger easy...
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

nelson_audet

all job is almost done. all thing need to do now is painted the steel frame of the dash... all other job is done...
1 picture from tonight

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

nelson_audet

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

runningman

mikepmcs

Looking really nice!!! :cheers: :cheers:

One thing I can't understand is why they taped up the steering wheel when it could have been removed in less time.

Car looks great though. :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Looking real good!! :cheers: :cheers:

One thing I regret is that they painted my engine bay Black. Was it tough for you to do it black vs. Orange?

Mike DC

black = GL correct

black = MUCH easier to maintain and preserve intact

jb666

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 06, 2009, 06:37:57 PM
black = GL correct

Really????? See, I learn something new every day here... Everyone that's seen my car has asked why the engine bay wasn't the color of the body.  :cheers: :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

black = GL correct

G L correct I can buy,But how in the heck does color (black) make an engine comp easier to "maintain" and "preserve"?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 06, 2009, 08:10:49 PM
black = GL correct

G L correct I can buy,But how in the heck does color (black) make an engine comp easier to "maintain" and "preserve"?

:popcrn: :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoparManJim

Black doesn't show the dirt that much where other colors does?

nelson_audet

i have painted it black for 2 reason. it is only a small engine bay job so i have not removed the engine for do the paint. black look good and is easy to keep clean.

second reason is GL corect... almost all time in the serie when you see the engine, the engine bay is black... i also look the orange and black combo.. it is look like a trick or treath car LOL

the assembly of the car will be begin next week end.... and the decal will be install on february 18. i am so excited!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: MoparManJim on February 06, 2009, 09:01:15 PM
Black doesn't show the dirt that much where other colors does?

Anyone who actuall believes that, must not have ever done much engine compartment cleaning............Also feel free to come clean my black engine comp. in my black Charger, 'cause I dont find it to be easy to keep clean.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

captnsim

I like black because it blends with the grill...Bright colors show through the grating and looks kinda funny. 

General_01

I think what they mean by "easier to maintain and clean" is that they don't have to clean it and the dirt is harder to see.Translation:Less work for them.

Quote from: captnsim on February 07, 2009, 06:55:37 PM
I like black because it blends with the grill...Bright colors show through the grating and looks kinda funny. 

That might be true if you didn't run a radiator.

Quote from: jb666 on February 06, 2009, 06:16:17 PM

One thing I regret is that they painted my engine bay Black. Was it tough for you to do it black vs. Orange?

The engine bay was black in my GL when I got it. When I had the engine out, I painted it orange. It may not be series correct, but I wanted it that way. If you really want  to be technical, the close-up GL may have been black, but most of the cars used on the show had the engine bays left the original color of the car and just the outside exterior of the car was orange. So to me, you can probably do whatever you like and call it series correct. :shruggy:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Khyron

heheh also Aluminum radiators how off well threw the grill too :lol:

*NOTE* this is the old hood i ran before the strip and DMCL stuff was done ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

captnsim

[[/quote]
That must be why the factory radiators where black. If not then they would stick out like a aluminum one. My car came with a aluminum radiator that the prior owner put in, and I'm planing to paint it black so it blends in. I think I'm going to also paint the front part of the core support seen from the grill black. But paint the engine compartment body color to match the car.

General_01

If you look at most cars, that is what is done. The core supports are painted black on the side facing the grill, but the top of the core support and the engine bay are body color. That is why I said it would be true if you didn't run a radiator. The radiator and everything in front is usually painted black.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on February 07, 2009, 07:17:24 PM
I think what they mean by "easier to maintain and clean" is that they don't have to clean it and the dirt is harder to see.Translation:Less work for them.

Quote from: captnsim on February 07, 2009, 06:55:37 PM

Quote from: jb666 on February 06, 2009, 06:16:17 PM

The engine bay was black in my GL when I got it. When I had the engine out, I painted it orange. It may not be series correct, but I wanted it that way. If you really want  to be technical, the close-up GL may have been black, but most of the cars used on the show had the engine bays left the original color of the car and just the outside exterior of the car was orange. So to me, you can probably do whatever you like and call it series correct. :shruggy:

Mine's black right now. We'll see what happens next Fall when the motor gets pulled out and sent out.