News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cooling!

Started by terrible one, January 05, 2009, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Okay,

I've got a mild '71 383 HP and this radiator on www.summitracing.com *SUM-380460

What fan do I need to get, and where can I get a shroud? Since it is a "direct replacement" radiator I would figure that a stock shroud would fit? I don't have a clue on what fan to get or if I need a fixed or clutch fan? No A/C . . .

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Alright, I've found a few listings on Ebay for the 18.5" 7 blade fan, and it seems that these are what generally came on the 383/440 cars so that should be fine. Is there still a clutch available for these fans though? How about a shroud?

ted

summits pic shows no shroud mounting brackets

terrible one

Hmm so are the shroud brackets on the stock radiator part of it? I always figured the shroud would bolt up on the outside edge kind of where the radiator bolts to the support?

firefighter3931

I tried one of those Summit replacement rads and it fit like crap....not even close to bolting up. The rad itself was too small allthough it was advertised as a 26in factory replacement.

I ended up purchasing one off e-bay and it bolted right in. I had to do some minor notching of the core support in the upper corners because the welds on the new rad are different than the stocker. The shape of the top tank is different than stock but all the brackets, hoses and trans lines are in the stock location. It also has brackets for a stock fan shroud.

I posted some pics in this thread : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50400.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

Hmm that's really too bad. Oh well, at least Summit is cool with your returning stuff. Maybe the 22inch version will be better? We'll see.

terrible one

Well . . .

The Summit radiator did end up fitting like crap, and I mean HORRIBLY. Hitting the battery tray, not lining up, core too wide, blah blah.

I sent it back and got a Silla radiator from Kreative Customs. $285 to my door. It looks like a real quality piece. My only quirk is that the lower hose is on the passenger side, so I'll have to exchange my DS WP housing for a PS from 440source. Looks good though!

firefighter3931

Jackson, that is the wrong rad for your application....the inlet & outlet are on the wrong sides. You can make it work by using the passenger side lower hose waterpump housing but that adds extra expense to your buildup. No big deal if you were planning to replace the WP housing anyway.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 25, 2009, 11:23:35 AM
Jackson, that is the wrong rad for your application....the inlet & outlet are on the wrong sides. You can make it work by using the passenger side lower hose waterpump housing but that adds extra expense to your buildup. No big deal if you were planning to replace the WP housing anyway.

Ron

Ron,

As noted in my post about it, I did accidentally get a DS WP housing, but it is still new in the box and I plan on calling 440 source tomorrow and asking about exchanging it and some money for the PS housing.

Is this the only thing that will throw me off? I didn't think about the inlet being on the wrong side as well. Will I still be able to find an upper hose cheap and easy? How about the transmission line fitting location on the bottom? Is that a stock location/will it work with my repro tranny lines?

Thanks!

-Jackson

firefighter3931

I can't see that finding rad hoses to fit will be much of a problem...you might have to do a little trimming but something will fit.  :yesnod:

The trans cooler fittings look to be in the correct location.  :yesnod:

Ron

terrible one

Right on, that's good to hear then. I have yet to take it down to the shop and mock it up but it sounds like it will work out alright.

While we're at it, any idea what the hole in the top right (with the black plastic plug threaded into it) or the hole at the bottom left with the smaller plastic plug in it is?

firefighter3931

The lower plug is your drain or petcock. The upper hole i'm not sure about....possibly a port for a temp sensor if you were wanting to run an electric fan ?  :shruggy:

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 25, 2009, 02:01:19 PM
The lower plug is your drain or petcock. The upper hole i'm not sure about....possibly a port for a temp sensor if you were wanting to run an electric fan ?  :shruggy:

Oh I hope so! That would be pretty convenient. Every case I've heard on this site where people got this style of aluminum radiator, the mechanical fan was hitting or too close for comfort. Therefore, I plan on running an electric setup (maybe I'll squeeze a bit more power out of the 383 this way too). But that's a whole 'nother area that I haven't the slightest idea about. I saw some cheap packages but don't know how much CFM I need or anything about the relays, blah blah blah to hook it all up.

terrible one

Speaking of,

Anyone got any suggestions for an electric fan setup for me? What do you have? How's it work? Expense?

squeakfinder

That looks like the one I got from RadiatorsUS......

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

My 440 came from a 75 pickup. So my waterpump housing is the opposite of what a 68 should be.
The fan clutch and fan I used is from a 78 Dodge Magnum with a 360. I bought the clutch new a couple of years ago so I would think there still available. The shroud I have came from a 75 Dart. The fan would not quite fit, So I had to trim about 3/4 to 1 inch off the tips of the blades to make it fit.

squeakfinder

And yes, this is in a 68.......

squeakfinder

I had to cut the shroud for the upper hose. The whole setup looks better in person.

By the way, these radiators polish up real nice with Mothers Aluminum mag wheel polish.

Anyway, I thought I'd hijack your thread and put in my  :Twocents: :icon_smile_big:

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Larry

terrible one

Larry,

Thanks so much for chiming in man! Yeah, that looks like the exact same radiator. I was thinking of polishing it up, glad you mentioned that. I appreciate you sharing your setup! I'll definitely copy that if I decide to go to a mechanical fan, but starting with nothing I'm wondering how cheaply I can get an electric fan setup. I want to squeeze every bit of power I can out of the engine.

What upper radiator hose did you use? Were the fittings for the transmission lines in the stock location? Did you have to drill to fit it or did it line up with the factory bolt locations?

squeakfinder

It seems like the fittings for the cooler lines were real close. Not a big deal to get it to work. The upper rad. hose is for a 78 dodge Magnum, but I think I'm pretty sure I had to trim it just a little at the end were it connects to the radiator. Not a big deal either.

Steve P.

Hey Jackson,  why not send that one back and get one that is a much closer replacement?  Fit and trim means alllllot when one thing runs into the next thing and the next and so on...

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

terrible one

Steve,

I suppose I'm content with it really. I've already had to send back the Summit one. Then I found this one and if all I have to do is get a different WP housing and play with hoses a bit for it to work then I don't think I mind it.

If anyone has a source for a quality aluminum radiator that would be better for me than what I have, do share! The thing with me is I need a 22" . . .

Steve P.

I know Ron sent back a Summit brand rad also. I forget where he bought the new replacement, but he likes it and it took little to put in.  I wondered why not get the MOST CORRECT as other things may be a problem as well. You may want to add a shroud and finding the right one with the rad you have now could be a big problem..   

Just trying to make life down the road easier buddy..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida