News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blu Ray To Be Obsolete In 5 Years

Started by Old Moparz, January 02, 2009, 07:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

Another thing to keep in mind if you're shopping for HD stuff.  If you buy a new TV, *Don't settle for Component video!*  It's nothing to do with quality; component video is an analog signal, and HDMI is a DRM protected digital format, but the visual quality will be basically just as good either way.  But what DOES matter is that blu-ray discs have a DRM only 'flag' in the data.  If that flag is set, the video will only output HD resolution over a DRM-certified output (HDMI or DVI).  Component won't work then.  I don't think any movies have been produced with this limitation yet, and I think the studios have all agreed to not start until (2010 I think?) but they REALLY want to start DRM-only protecting their movies, so I wouldn't expect them to wait any longer than they have to.

Also, this applies to many upconverting players NOW.  My PS3, for example, won't upconvert DVDs over component, only hdmi.  I think nearly all players are this way now (though older ones weren't).

In short, if you get a new TV, be sure it has HDMI or DVI, otherwise you won't be able to play new HD stuff on it in the very near future.