News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Quote from: captnsim on February 08, 2009, 11:41:30 AM
Painting most of the inner cowl will be easier with the ring/s removed for repair. Gives you a little more room. A touch up gun is about as small as it gets and are fairly cheap if you want to spray it. Otherwise you can brush on the paint if you have to...but I'd only do this in areas not seen thru the vent grates.
I'd also consider replacing the wiper pivot seals while your in their as they are a common leak area.
Getting the debris out should be easy now as you have it all apart?? It's keeping it out from now on that matters. 

could you use some sort of screen material?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

captnsim

Screen would work great for keeping debris out. The hard part is devising a way to attach it to the inside of the cowl air intake grill, and make it look good. :shruggy:

500hp_440

Quote from: Tilar on February 08, 2009, 08:30:23 AM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: Tilar on February 07, 2009, 04:09:03 PM
Haha, Dream on kiddo.  :lol:
You asked, if you want it theres the price tag :D
Also don't ever buy used police stuff, they treat it like crap, trust me, I've watched them do it alot.

I never said it was a used police car, I said it was a Police Interceptor. Anyone can buy them new up until the 2009 models. I bought this car from the Department of Transportation Safety Administration where they used it to check some recalled wheels. The car spent most of its life running around a 3 mile oval track.  I only offered it to you in hopes that you would trade because you are on track to fuckup a really nice car with the way you are rushing through it and listening to your "patch it quick and get it out of here" body man.  If you're not going to do it right, don't do it... At least to that car.

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 09:52:01 PM
I don't what to hear ideas about how you think it should be done.
This is the final time I am saying it.

I've wasted enough energy on this thread. You've been nothing but a rude little punk that needs his ass beat red. You came on here asking peoples advice and everyone has tried to get along with you, but when you get a reply that you don't want to hear you pout about it. These people have a true passion for these cars. All you are showing is you have a love for owning a cool car, not loving the car for what it is.

I'm willing to bet that there are well over 30,000 years of combined experience building these cars with all the members of this board. I myself have been at it since 1973 so do the math. I think we trump your mechanic and body man.
Mhm ok  :2thumbs: good luck with that
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: captnsim on February 08, 2009, 03:33:57 PM
Screen would work great for keeping debris out. The hard part is devising a way to attach it to the inside of the cowl air intake grill, and make it look good. :shruggy:
There's always a hard part, eh?
How about rattle cans for painting?
Let it alone^.

captnsim

Spray can paint can have longevity and adhesion issues...in such a hard to get to area I'd be a little leary of them...

69bronzeT5

I've wasted enough energy on this thread. You've been nothing but a rude little punk that needs his ass beat red. You came on here asking peoples advice and everyone has tried to get along with you, but when you get a reply that you don't want to hear you pout about it. These people have a true passion for these cars.

:iagree: If your listen to your "mechanic friend" then why are you here.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

C_stripes

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 08:45:05 PM
Ok here's what's up now, my freind, also my mechanic who helped me come up with this idea, said the body man at the chevvy dealer, where he works, said that bthey used to use fiberglass to patch them and that the whay I'm doing it is the BEST way todo it, no wya to get to them with out unwelding the whole box thing which is 100% never worth it and this guy has been a body guy for over 40 years and still is. That blows any doubt it my mind out of the water, I'm done talking about the stacks now.

Someone! Please tell me how to keep the inside of the box thing where the stacks go inside of from rusting!

HMMM....   I am done talking about something but in the same post I ask about them.   WEIRD!!!    :slap:
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

General_01

Here is what I see happening.

500 is asking questions about how to repair things. He is a kid with little experience, but two things need to change.

1)500, you need to stop asking questions here and expecting the people to tell you how to do it cheap and quick and non-permanent. The people here have learned over time it is not the best way to fix things. They are going to suggest the right way to fix it to save you in the long run. If you want cheap, fast, and non-correct then continue to ask your bodyman friend because that is the answers you will get.

2)Everyone else needs to understand that they are dealing with a teenager. Give him your advise on how to do it right and then let it go. When you get tired of him not taking your advise, then stop posting it.

My advise to you 500 is to listen to the experience. I know you want to get it done and drive it and enjoy it. We all understand that. It's just that we have all been there and most of us wish we had the access to this wealth of knowledge when we were young so we could have done things right the first time. I also understand that you are going to make mistakes. We all did. The guys are just trying to help you make less of them. I think you teenagers don't understand how much easier it is to get this kind of help then we did when we were young. There was no internet and if you did not know an older person who had been there and done that with Mopars in your town, you usually ended up doing things like you are doing. You have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience. Don't take it for granted.

(getting off my soap box now)

I want you to know I think you have a really great car there.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

captnsim

My first car was a 68 Coronet 440 that I had to R/t clone...I spent years hunting down parts. No internet...just someone saying, "Hey theirs some old dodges in a field god knows where." And sometimes making more then one trip to try and find them. Most of the information you got was from magazines, word of mouth or my favorite....f'n things up and having to fix them yourself. Hemmings was a bible for car lovers still.
Now all you need...is a button push away...Kinda takes the adventure out of it...Having all that blood and sweat in one spot.
And If I could remember half the things I thought I knew when I was 16 now...well that's another story. 

500hp_440

Quote from: C_stripes on February 08, 2009, 09:09:32 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 08:45:05 PM
Ok here's what's up now, my freind, also my mechanic who helped me come up with this idea, said the body man at the chevvy dealer, where he works, said that bthey used to use fiberglass to patch them and that the whay I'm doing it is the BEST way todo it, no wya to get to them with out unwelding the whole box thing which is 100% never worth it and this guy has been a body guy for over 40 years and still is. That blows any doubt it my mind out of the water, I'm done talking about the stacks now.

Someone! Please tell me how to keep the inside of the box thing where the stacks go inside of from rusting!

HMMM....   I am done talking about something but in the same post I ask about them.   WEIRD!!!    :slap:
I thought you quit the site....
Or is this one of those blue moons your online?
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 08, 2009, 08:45:58 PM

I've wasted enough energy on this thread. You've been nothing but a rude little punk that needs his ass beat red. You came on here asking peoples advice and everyone has tried to get along with you, but when you get a reply that you don't want to hear you pout about it. These people have a true passion for these cars.

:iagree: If your listen to your "mechanic friend" then why are you here.
To anoy you bud :yesnod: tis my life quest
Let it alone^.

C_stripes

Never said I quit the site. Said I was taking a break for a while.

But what does that have to do with anything?
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

500hp_440

Quote from: General_01 on February 08, 2009, 09:10:13 PM
Here is what I see happening.

500 is asking questions about how to repair things. He is a kid with little experience, but two things need to change.

1)500, you need to stop asking questions here and expecting the people to tell you how to do it cheap and quick and non-permanent. The people here have learned over time it is not the best way to fix things. They are going to suggest the right way to fix it to save you in the long run. If you want cheap, fast, and non-correct then continue to ask your bodyman friend because that is the answers you will get.

2)Everyone else needs to understand that they are dealing with a teenager. Give him your advise on how to do it right and then let it go. When you get tired of him not taking your advise, then stop posting it.

My advise to you 500 is to listen to the experience. I know you want to get it done and drive it and enjoy it. We all understand that. It's just that we have all been there and most of us wish we had the access to this wealth of knowledge when we were young so we could have done things right the first time. I also understand that you are going to make mistakes. We all did. The guys are just trying to help you make less of them. I think you teenagers don't understand how much easier it is to get this kind of help then we did when we were young. There was no internet and if you did not know an older person who had been there and done that with Mopars in your town, you usually ended up doing things like you are doing. You have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience. Don't take it for granted.

(getting off my soap box now)

I want you to know I think you have a really great car there.  :2thumbs:
Thanks :cheers:, I usually take advice from everyone (this and the sandblast are 2 I didn't)
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: C_stripes on February 08, 2009, 10:10:32 PM
Never said I quit the site. Said I was taking a break for a while.

But what does that have to do with anything?
Just wondering
Let it alone^.

General_01

I know you have taken some advise. I just wanted to get you to step back for a second, understand the situation, take a deep breathe, and then continue. Do this before you respond every time and things should be good. If you can't do something that is recommended, that is understandable. Just remember that these guys are not going to take "I don't want to" as a legitimate reason for not doing it the right way. Just an FYI. Keep showing progress on the car keep at it. :2thumbs:

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

500hp_440

Quote from: General_01 on February 08, 2009, 10:24:47 PM
I know you have taken some advise. I just wanted to get you to step back for a second, understand the situation, take a deep breathe, and then continue. Do this before you respond every time and things should be good. If you can't do something that is recommended, that is understandable. Just remember that these guys are not going to take "I don't want to" as a legitimate reason for not doing it the right way. Just an FYI. Keep showing progress on the car keep at it. :2thumbs:

How's, the front of the car will look like crap with out a bucket-o-bondo?
I will keep up the progess pics, on my myspace
Let it alone^.

69bronzeT5

So...how's the fiberglassing on your boat coming? :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

The70RT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 13, 2009, 08:30:48 PM

You have to go to "myspace"to find out.......why would he post it on here  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rav440

Quote from: The70RT on February 13, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

:eyes: he has got to find a site that hosts pics so he can post them here  :rotz:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

500hp_440

If you don't like my gay computer that wont do crap like yours, send me a few hundred bucks to buy me a new one or shut up about it
Let it alone^.

MoparManJim

Quote from: rav440 on February 13, 2009, 08:40:19 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 13, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

:eyes: he has got to find a site that hosts pics so he can post them here  :rotz:

Thats real easy www.photobucket.com  :icon_smile_big: 

TUFCAT

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 14, 2009, 07:48:42 PM
If you don't like my gay computer that wont do crap like yours, send me a few hundred bucks to buy me a new one or shut up about it

OUCH :o .... down this road again?  :scratchchin:

500hp_440

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 14, 2009, 07:52:53 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 14, 2009, 07:48:42 PM

OUCH :o .... down this road again?  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
No, we've been over it and some people just wont get over it, nothing works so if they care that much they can click one more time
Let it alone^.