News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Can you take a picture of how you cut that out?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: Tilar on February 07, 2009, 12:54:25 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 06, 2009, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 06, 2009, 07:28:21 PM
please, try not to screw up a nice car.

It's happening :smilielol: :stirthepot:

Ryan, Before you go any further, I'll make you a deal. If all you're wanting is something that runs good and makes people look at you, I'll make you a trade and I'll even come to Florida to make that trade. I have a 2003 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 85k actual miles on it. I'll trade you even up my car for yours and everything that goes with it.

It's a true police interceptor with some nice options. 200-amp alternator, Fail-safe engine cooling system, Heavy-duty suspension and frame, Stainless steel dual exhaust, 3.27 Locker rear differential, Speed-sensitive variable-assist power rack-and-pinion steering (Handles really good)  and the list goes on.

All you gotta do is get in and start it. When you mash on the gas pedal it knows exactly what you want to do and it does it really well. And I can assure you that you will see more cars do nose dives in the first hour of driving it than you have seen in your entire life.  :smilielol:
Thow in a 69 daytona and you've got a deal :2thumbs:

Haha, Dream on kiddo.  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Rolling_Thunder

Dont Half-Ass stuff man - do it the right way - I started my car at 15 and here I am at 22 redoing it....      again....      enough said...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

captnsim

Hey "dude" don't fix those vent stacks right and say hello to no air flow,(Hello your from Florida) and a leaking mess not to long after you get your car done. Do you really want to pull your dash apart again? And what if the repair means removing the dash? Keep in mind this requires taking out the windshield...which is hard enough to get sealed on it's own. Just my  :Twocents: but I'd fix it the right way. Whats a little more when you look at the scope of redoing a old mopar???

500hp_440

Quote from: captnsim on February 07, 2009, 06:33:31 PM
Hey "dude" plug those vent stacks and say hello to no air flow,(Hello your from Florida) and a leaking mess not to long after you get your car done. Do you really want to pull your dash apart again? And what if the repair means removing the dash? Keep in mind this requires taking out the windshield...which is hard enough to get sealed on it's own. Just my  :Twocents: but I'd fix it the right way. Whats a little more when you look at the scope of redoing a old mopar???
Dude, I'm not plugging them
Let it alone^.

captnsim

500hp_440

Quote from: Tilar on February 07, 2009, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: Tilar on February 07, 2009, 12:54:25 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 06, 2009, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 06, 2009, 07:28:21 PM
please, try not to screw up a nice car.

It's happening :smilielol: :stirthepot:

Ryan, Before you go any further, I'll make you a deal. If all you're wanting is something that runs good and makes people look at you, I'll make you a trade and I'll even come to Florida to make that trade. I have a 2003 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 85k actual miles on it. I'll trade you even up my car for yours and everything that goes with it.

It's a true police interceptor with some nice options. 200-amp alternator, Fail-safe engine cooling system, Heavy-duty suspension and frame, Stainless steel dual exhaust, 3.27 Locker rear differential, Speed-sensitive variable-assist power rack-and-pinion steering (Handles really good)  and the list goes on.

All you gotta do is get in and start it. When you mash on the gas pedal it knows exactly what you want to do and it does it really well. And I can assure you that you will see more cars do nose dives in the first hour of driving it than you have seen in your entire life.  :smilielol:
Thow in a 69 daytona and you've got a deal :2thumbs:

You asked, if you want it theres the price tag :D
Also don't ever buy used police stuff, they treat it like crap, trust me, I've watched them do it alot.
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Ok here's what's up now, my freind, also my mechanic who helped me come up with this idea, said the body man at the chevvy dealer, where he works, said that bthey used to use fiberglass to patch them and that the whay I'm doing it is the BEST way todo it, no wya to get to them with out unwelding the whole box thing which is 100% never worth it and this guy has been a body guy for over 40 years and still is. That blows any doubt it my mind out of the water, I'm done talking about the stacks now.

Someone! Please tell me how to keep the inside of the box thing where the stacks go inside of from rusting!
Let it alone^.

captnsim

Are you talking about the cowl area?? Long term rusting?? Or surface rusting from sitting while you work on it??

500hp_440

Quote from: captnsim on February 07, 2009, 08:57:49 PM
Are you talking about the cowl area?? Long term rusting?? Or surface rusting from sitting while you work on it??
Yes and I dont want it to rust ever, so long term
Let it alone^.

Troy

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 08:45:05 PM
Ok here's what's up now, my freind, also my mechanic who helped me come up with this idea, said the body man at the chevvy dealer, where he works, said that bthey used to use fiberglass to patch them and that the whay I'm doing it is the BEST way todo it, no wya to get to them with out unwelding the whole box thing which is 100% never worth it and this guy has been a body guy for over 40 years and still is. That blows any doubt it my mind out of the water, I'm done talking about the stacks now.

Someone! Please tell me how to keep the inside of the box thing where the stacks go inside of from rusting!
Hey, if you're gonna ignore everything we say and tell us you're "done talking about it" then go ask your buddy how to seal the stupid thing. He's obviously got it all figured out.

Maybe I should take this time to point out that there's a difference between a "body man" (usually quick turnaround collision) and a "restorer". Sounds like your friend is saying it's "never worth it" because it's too much work to make a profit on. Besides, Fords and Mopars are a lot closer in construction than any GM from the same era. Ford guys change those stacks out all the time.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Just a question, why do you even bother asking us questions if you go with what your "mechanic" says almost everytime.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

rav440

Quote from: Troy on February 07, 2009, 09:21:27 PM

Hey, if you're gonna ignore everything we say and tell us you're "done talking about it" then go ask your buddy how to seal the stupid thing. He's obviously got it all figured out.

Maybe I should take this time to point out that there's a difference between a "body man" (usually quick turnaround collision) and a "restorer". Sounds like your friend is saying it's "never worth it" because it's too much work to make a profit on. Besides, Fords and Mopars are a lot closer in construction than any GM from the same era. Ford guys change those stacks out all the time.

Troy

:cheers: i was thinking the same thing .

RYAN , nothing aginst your friend how many MOPARs or CHARGERs has he done work on ? GM cars are a complete differant animal .  listen to TROY and the others . there is the right way and the $$$$ way . the right way may sound like alot now but in the long run a hell of alot cheaper in the end .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

500hp_440

Again what I was told I have todo is cut the crap out of the front of the car which is moronic for a little insignificant thing no will see the I could just do with fiberglass or seal shut, I'm in Florida and I don't use A/C, replaceing little stuff like that and haveing someone else do it is why project car budgets get blown.
Unless someone can do all this, tell me how to make it so everyone is happy, I dont have to ruin my car :slap: and where I can get those for cheap (it's free now) I don't what to hear ideas about how you think it should be done.
This is the final time I am saying it.
Let it alone^.

rav440

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 09:52:01 PM
Again what I was told I have todo is cut the crap out of the front of the car which is moronic for a little insignificant thing no will see the I could just do with fiberglass or seal shut, I'm in Florida and I don't use A/C, replaceing little stuff like that and haveing someone else do it is why project car budgets get blown.
Unless someone can do all this, tell me how to make it so everyone is happy, I dont have to ruin my car :slap: and where I can get those for cheap (it's free now) I don't what to hear ideas about how you think it should be done.

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

captnsim

Cowl rot is mostly caused by improper storage...ie stuff like leaves or needles fall in the fresh air intake vent and build up around the stacks, (dirt to) trapping moisture and causing rust. After you "fix" that area have your man prime and paint to his liking and seal with what ever he likes. Then keep the car garaged when not in use or covered with a car cover. Oh and avoid the rain...Old cars and water don't mix...gets in all the crevices no matter what...and stays.  

The70RT

Blasting will remove some of the rust but it is hard to get to. Cut the circles out and make new ones. It isn't as hard as you think. Welding will be the fun part upsidedown & laying in there. Too bad it wasn't on a rotissorie for that job.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

captnsim

:iagree: upside down welding, fun stuff...but not that bad. Making a new ring is simple to...well worth the effort. Once you have the old ring removed, it will be easier to clean up any pitting and surface rust. But you need to get it all or it will return...

FLG

How about this,

If cant afford to do it the right way, you just dont do anything until you can?? Move on to some other aspect of the car....im sure thats not the only thing keeping you away from finishing this project.

Just my 2 cents.

72SE

Quote from: Troy on February 07, 2009, 09:21:27 PM

Troy

:o :o :o :o :o :o

You ask questions here from people that know what they are talking about and then tell us you already have the answer from someone who knows more (but doesn't) and don't want to hear what we have to say. Sounds like this thread is about wrapped up then! You know it all! Your last post pretty much says it all! Good Luck!

Belgium R/T -68

My -68 needed 18 months and a lot of money for the body to be properly made although you wouldn't have thought it needed any welding before
I took the car apart, it was a beatiful 10 footer. I could never had cheated on myself leaving a bad spot or made a "easy fix" and at the same time
putting all new parts on the car. It would hount me in my sleep for the rest of my life. Just my  :Twocents:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

500hp_440

Quote from: The70RT on February 07, 2009, 10:26:43 PM
Blasting will remove some of the rust but it is hard to get to. Cut the circles out and make new ones. It isn't as hard as you think. Welding will be the fun part upsidedown & laying in there. Too bad it wasn't on a rotissorie for that job.
Quote from: The70RT on February 07, 2009, 10:26:43 PM
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm doing, except I'm not stupid (not that you are) enough to weld anything on my car, mainly because it will look like CRAP, so I'm panel bonding them on, it's like cold welding, they use it to hold quarter panels and stuff on car nowadays. :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: captnsim on February 07, 2009, 10:08:34 PM
Cowl rot is mostly caused by improper storage...ie stuff like leaves or needles fall in the fresh air intake vent and build up around the stacks, (dirt to) trapping moisture and causing rust. After you "fix" that area have your man prime and paint to his liking and seal with what ever he likes. Then keep the car garaged when not in use or covered with a car cover. Oh and avoid the rain...Old cars and water don't mix...gets in all the crevices no matter what...and stays.  

Can I paint in there myself?
Also how can I get the leaves and dirt out of that vent?
Let it alone^.

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 07, 2009, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: Tilar on February 07, 2009, 04:09:03 PM
You asked, if you want it theres the price tag :D
Also don't ever buy used police stuff, they treat it like crap, trust me, I've watched them do it alot.

I never said it was a used police car, I said it was a Police Interceptor. Anyone can buy them new up until the 2009 models. I bought this car from the Department of Transportation Safety Administration where they used it to check some recalled wheels. The car spent most of its life running around a 3 mile oval track.  I only offered it to you in hopes that you would trade because you are on track to fuckup a really nice car with the way you are rushing through it and listening to your "patch it quick and get it out of here" body man.  If you're not going to do it right, don't do it... At least to that car.

I don't what to hear ideas about how you think it should be done.

I've wasted enough energy on this thread. You've been nothing but a rude little punk that needs his ass beat red. You came on here asking peoples advice and everyone has tried to get along with you, but when you get a reply that you don't want to hear you pout about it. These people have a true passion for these cars. All you are showing is you have a love for owning a cool car, not loving the car for what it is.

I'm willing to bet that there are well over 30,000 years of combined experience building these cars with all the members of this board. I myself have been at it since 1973 so do the math. I think we trump your mechanic and body man.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

captnsim

Painting most of the inner cowl will be easier with the ring/s removed for repair. Gives you a little more room. A touch up gun is about as small as it gets and are fairly cheap if you want to spray it. Otherwise you can brush on the paint if you have to...but I'd only do this in areas not seen thru the vent grates.
I'd also consider replacing the wiper pivot seals while your in their as they are a common leak area.
Getting the debris out should be easy now as you have it all apart?? It's keeping it out from now on that matters.