News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 19, 2009, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on January 19, 2009, 08:55:34 PM
Who is doing the paint work?  Also, get rid of that fram filter on your motor. Do an oil change and put a wix or napa gold on there.  1515 is the number I think for the filter.  Make sure you put EOS in there as well with all the good additives that aren't in today's oils.
the frams there to pull out all the crap in the engine (theres alot) I'll change the oil again before I drive it, but that's $30 I don't have

Define "Crap" and why does it have a lot of it in the engine?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

73ChargerSE

Not to nitpick man, but you may want to do mechanicals before you do painting and things like that.  Otherwise, if your car doesn't run, you'll have a boat anchor in a decent body.  For me, at least, the most important part of a car is that it runs and drives.  Do yourself a favor and work on your motor more than working on aesthetic aspects of the car.

Just my  :Twocents:

Steve P.

Many people do go through the complete drive line before doing body work and paint. It's more preference than anything. I have R&R'd many motors and tranny's without harming the paint in any way.

This is obviously not his daily driver either.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

500hp_440

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on January 20, 2009, 07:25:10 PM
Not to nitpick man, but you may want to do mechanicals before you do painting and things like that.  Otherwise, if your car doesn't run, you'll have a boat anchor in a decent body.  For me, at least, the most important part of a car is that it runs and drives.  Do yourself a favor and work on your motor more than working on aesthetic aspects of the car.

Just my  :Twocents:

Yes, yes, its mainly been checked, I need parts for the engine and its being worked on constantly, but it was about time i got something other then drive train done, something to show off, (that way I can do wireing, start the insides, ect.)
Quote from: Tilar on January 20, 2009, 07:08:36 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 19, 2009, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on January 19, 2009, 08:55:34 PM
Who is doing the paint work?  Also, get rid of that fram filter on your motor. Do an oil change and put a wix or napa gold on there.  1515 is the number I think for the filter.  Make sure you put EOS in there as well with all the good additives that aren't in today's oils.
the frams there to pull out all the crap in the engine (theres alot) I'll change the oil again before I drive it, but that's $30 I don't have

Theres a silicone grease (I think) in there, paint flakes, maby some metal shaving, its 42years old, there can be alot of crap in there :yesnod:
Quote from: General_01 on January 20, 2009, 06:36:50 PM
:drool5: :drool5:Yellow :drool5: :drool5:

Looks good. :2thumbs:
Quote from: Steve P. on January 20, 2009, 07:39:38 PM
Many people do go through the complete drive line before doing body work and paint. It's more preference than anything. I have R&R'd many motors and tranny's without harming the paint in any way.

This is obviously not his daily driver either.

I wish it was...... :drool5:
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

**Question**
When I bought my charger the old owner said "this car doesnt have ac, but its special because the tag doesnt say it does or doesn't." Haveing seen some of the things he's said and believed him before :rotz: I want to know does this mean I can put in ac and say its stock (I wouldnt say its stock) or is he full of sh** and the tags just say ac or nothing?
Asked a different way, my tag doesnt say I have ac or not, can I put in ac and say its stock, and noone can call me on it?
thanks!
Let it alone^.

FLG

Whats the big deal? Put in AC if someone wants to nitpick like that personally id first ask them "Let me see your 100% factory resto car" since id say 99% of the people that do nitpick on numbers have no car themselves and secondly its your car do what you want. Ive always said if someone wants to add something to a car weather it be rare or not and that thing can easily be "undone" if need be then do what you please. If its a question of butchering a good rare car or just simply a really nice car to start with id say find something thats a dime a dozen instead of messing up a gem.

mikesbbody

I agree with the guy's that really is a good paint job especially for your first time!  :2thumbs:

69charger2002

if it had a/c it will have it on the tag, if not it won't. that's cut and dry. H51 or not is the code. so no yo can't add it and say it's stock(to a die hard anyway) but it's your car, i'd add it regardless what is on the tag. i add it to all mine.   :2thumbs:
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

500hp_440

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 20, 2009, 09:30:15 PM
I agree with the guy's that really is a good paint job especially for your first time!  :2thumbs:
Quote from: FLG on January 20, 2009, 09:25:38 PM
Whats the big deal? Put in AC if someone wants to nitpick like that personally id first ask them "Let me see your 100% factory resto car" since id say 99% of the people that do nitpick on numbers have no car themselves and secondly its your car do what you want. Ive always said if someone wants to add something to a car weather it be rare or not and that thing can easily be "undone" if need be then do what you please. If its a question of butchering a good rare car or just simply a really nice car to start with id say find something thats a dime a dozen instead of messing up a gem.
You had me and then you lost me.....
Quote from: 69charger2002 on January 20, 2009, 09:30:44 PM
if it had a/c it will have it on the tag, if not it won't. that's cut and dry. H51 or not is the code. so no yo can't add it and say it's stock(to a die hard anyway) but it's your car, i'd add it regardless what is on the tag. i add it to all mine.   :2thumbs:
trav
Thats what I wanted to know!
Thanks, I probably wont put ac in, I'm a windows down cranked country or classic rock n roll kinda guy :D
Let it alone^.

Steve P.

500, when you are done with the car you WON'T be DONE with the car.  It never ends and most times we add things to make life easier.  Aftermarket A/C is much lighter, smaller and easier on the motor.

You have never painted before and you are doing this car up. What I mean is, you are not doing a full on concourse job. That being said, do with it what makes you happy. If you were doing a monster mega buck job you WOULD be very concerned with making everything exactly what came from the factory.

Enjoy it. If you change your mind down the road so be it, but for a very first build you should spend lots of time reading and learning the right way the first time. The nicer it turns out the happier you will be.

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

I'm getting depressed, 15 months member with "only" 500 posts and a Chargerproject that started almost 2 years ago with a long way to go.
I wish I was that fast. :'(
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

PocketThunder

Ryan you car did not have A/C.  If it did the firewall would look like this one in the first picture.  Yours is the second picture. 

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

500hp_440

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 21, 2009, 01:57:58 AM
I'm getting depressed, 15 months member with "only" 500 posts and a Chargerproject that started almost 2 years ago with a long way to go.
I wish I was that fast. :'(
Most of it was done when i got it :D

Thanks PocketThunder :cheers:
Let it alone^.

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 20, 2009, 09:46:03 PM
I'm a windows down cranked country or classic rock n roll kinda guy :D

You keep that up and you're gonna have all your done.  :smilielol:
Dave  

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 20, 2009, 08:17:18 PM
Theres a silicone grease (I think) in there, paint flakes, maby some metal shaving, its 42years old, there can be alot of crap in there :yesnod:

40 years old, and I thought it had been rebuilt? Regardless there shouldn't be any metal or paint flakes in the oil. Point everyone was trying to make is the fram filters leave a lot to be desired.
Dave  

500hp_440

Quote from: Tilar on January 21, 2009, 07:54:21 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 20, 2009, 08:17:18 PM

40 years old, and I thought it had been rebuilt? Regardless there shouldn't be any metal or paint flakes in the oil. Point everyone was trying to make is the fram filters leave a lot to be desired.
Mhm I got that.
Look at my pictures of my head, the a-holes pulled the valve cover before he painted the engine :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:, and the covers are crap anyway (a car threw a rod with them on, nice dent over a rocker)
But you never know, metal on metal theres always a possible scrape :'(
I have to fix or replace my oild pan anyway (capt. dumbass pulled it out) he set it on the oild pan :brickwall: which is a nice deep style (like 7.5 quarts I think) wel they set it on the pan and then drug it some distance, it's all scrated and dented like heck, its bad enough to leak alittle, so when i can i'm going to either pull it and fix it or pull it and replace it, same with tranny's pan :brickwall:
Quote from: Tilar on January 21, 2009, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 20, 2009, 09:46:03 PM
I'm a windows down cranked country or classic rock n roll kinda guy :D

You keep that up and you're gonna have all your done.  :smilielol:
I dont get it :shruggy:
Let it alone^.

CB

Quote from: Tilar on Today at 01:51:28
Quote from: 500hp_440 on Yesterday at 03:46:03
I'm a windows down cranked country or classic rock n roll kinda guy

You keep that up and you're gonna have all your  done. 

I dont get it

seems like you prefer the music most of the 'old timers' like to listen too :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

500hp_440

Quote from: CB on January 22, 2009, 02:16:13 PM

Quote from: Tilar on Today at 01:51:28
Quote from: 500hp_440 on Yesterday at 03:46:03
I'm a windows down cranked country or classic rock n roll kinda guy

You keep that up and you're gonna have all your  done. 

I dont get it

seems like you prefer the music most of the 'old timers' like to listen too :icon_smile_big:
:lol: I get it now, well the other stuff isnt worth listening too
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

WHAT NOW??
I don't have any money right now (I need to get my jeep done) but I hate letting my baby sit neglected in the corner of my cold dark garage with only 2 rice bikes next to it for company.... :'(
  :smilielol: You know what I mean?
So what can I do that I will have todo later, but I can do now? (I know heater box but thats buried with my interior in my trailor)
I'd love some little projects todo, maby I'll restor my gauges and fix the switches........
All ideas welcome, as long as they cost little to no money todo, THANKS! :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 22, 2009, 07:11:19 PM
WHAT NOW??
I don't have any money right now (I need to get my jeep done) but I hate letting my baby sit neglected in the corner of my cold dark garage with only 2 rice bikes next to it for company.... :'(
So what can I do that I will have todo later, but I can do now? (I know heater box but thats buried with my interior in my trailor)
I'd love some little projects todo, maby I'll restor my gauges and fix the switches........
All ideas welcome, as long as they cost little to no money todo, THANKS! :2thumbs:

I'd say put it on hold, work for a while, save some money, then tackle other parts of the car....

Sounds like you also need to develop a plan.....determine which area make the most sense to start first, then work the car in that order.

It's okay to do stuff that doesn't cost any money (like polishing, cleaning, detailing, stripping paint, de-rusting, etc), but when you get into the actual task of "restoring something" - even if its a sub assembly, you'll want to have all the necessary parts and preperation to do the job right.  One thing leads to another, and once you start...its hard to stop.

My best advise for you is to Slow Down.  Quality - NOT Quantity.

500hp_440

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 22, 2009, 09:54:54 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 22, 2009, 07:11:19 PM
WHAT NOW??

I'd say put it on hold, work for a while, save some money, then tackle other parts of the car....

Sounds like you also need to develop a plan.....determine which area make the most sense to start first, then work the car in that order.

It's okay to do stuff that doesn't cost any money (like polishing, cleaning, detailing, stripping paint, de-rusting, etc), but when you get into the actual task of "restoring something" - even if its a sub assembly, you'll want to have all the necessary parts and preperation to do the job right.  One thing leads to another, and once you start...its hard to stop.

My best advise for you is to Slow Down.  Quality - NOT Quantity.
But BK said..... Oh yeah...  :hah:
Im just kidding, bad joke sorry jb666.
I hear you, thanks bud! I'm just now at I just did a big project on it, which isnt done, and I cant finish untill I get anothe $150 (paint and clear coat)
which reminds me,
**should I clear coat inside my charger??**
I know all of you know how that feels, I dont have to tell you it stinks, so just trying to keep the beast moving!
Which reminds me does anyone have a good idea for an inuedo liscence plate? (something with 69 would be great! and how much is a title transfer, and new custom plate?)
Thanks!
Let it alone^.

72SE

500hp_440

Quote from: 72SE on January 22, 2009, 10:20:21 PM
What kind of paint are you using?
Ummmm single coat acrylic enamel, if that sounds right then it is, its a single stage with hardener and thinner (special type) in it cost 115 for 2 quarts
Let it alone^.

mikepmcs

sounds good to me. Just say single stage when you are talking to your buds and they'll think you know some stuff.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

72SE

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 22, 2009, 10:33:17 PM
sounds good to me. Just say single stage when you are talking to your buds and they'll think you know some stuff.

:icon_smile_big:

For the interior just adding the urethane hardener should be fine. If your clear always make sure you have put the hardener in your enamel. Mike