News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

what ever you do Ryan never sand blast the sheet metal ,  if you do , it will end up warped , stretched ,  & you Will  be buying more Bondo to straighten it out than Hlpag & BK  put together  :yesnod:  ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chad L. Magee

The posted article is correct, as force (compression) upon metals can potentially change their unit cell structures (phases) from more ordered to disordered types (see an engineering materials textbook for a more further explanation).  Quenching methods can be used to return most of the metal back to the orginal phase, but that is just not feasible with an entire car body.  [side note- I had an engineering materials course that covered that into much further detail that anyone would ever want to know.]  An expert sandblaster would be able to detect the compression limit of the steel and keep his hit pressure well below that limit (something that takes some patience to learn).  You can sandblast your sheetmetal without warpage though, just not using sand as the medium.  There is a multitude of different "soft" mediums that can be used for this purpose (small polymer beads, broken walnut shells, etc).  They do not induce the compression levels that the article talks about.  Unfortunately, there is a trade-off in that the medium will not be as agressive to the rust (some might only remove light rust scale), so be prepared to take your time to do it right.  Also, some mediums are more pricey than common sand, so be aware of that.  Check out an Eastwood catalog (or other supplier) to see what is avalible.......

Another process to get rid of the rust in the hard to reach areas would be though a chemical dip process, but that would cost alot to do to an entire car, although they do get into the areas that are hard to reach with a sandblaster.  I have had good luck removing medium rust (pits) on Charger roofs with Navel Jelly rust remover, but it is potentially toxic if you do not follow the instructions.  You can do some rust removal from small parts (nuts, bolts, etc) via soaking in household vinegar (or molasass/water mixture) over time..... 
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

500hp_440

I did some sand blasting until my air compressor broke  :brickwall:, but not i just need to vaccum and sand then its pretty much read to paint..... Which I havent done either  :lol:, this will be very intresting........, I'll upload pics if I do get to paint.
Let it alone^.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Topher

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 13, 2009, 05:51:02 PM
Didn't people suggest you not sand blast...... :scratchchin:

:yesnod: See. God doesn't want you to ruin your car!
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Finn

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 13, 2009, 04:56:36 PM
i just need to vaccum and sand then its pretty much read to paint.
Do you mean ready for paint as in ready for it to be covered with some sort of primer/sealer until its ready for body work and the full paint job?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

500hp_440

I talked to an ex-body guy (my freinds dad) he said to do it, and there were some spots the it was the blaster or chemicals, I tested it and it went well, no damage to the car, I'm just a little uncomfortable :eek2:
But heres my next question, I just bought some Purple Power De-ruster, to spray and leave then paint it, anyone know if its good or not???
Let it alone^.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: General_01 on January 13, 2009, 12:54:03 PM
Chad, check out this thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52531.0.html

Thanks for the heads up on that topic, I forgot to include it as a potential rust removing process above.  Electrolysis can remove rust by means of a sacrificial (easily oxidized) metal bar and a current of electricity.  It essentually converts the Fe2O3 (rust, iron in the +3 valence state) back into Fe (0), which is iron in the zero valence state or ground state.  The key to all of this is to have a solution containing a fair amount of electrolytes (thus the washing soda) to allow for the conduction process to occur.  (Running this method in pure deionized (DI) water without the electrolytes will slow the process if it can go at all, since the conduction pathway for the electricity is reduced severely.  DI water has a very low conductance of electricity, essentually zero microA, since all of the ions are missing.)  It will work for small parts, but large items are a bit of a problem unless you have a very large tank and ample supply of chemicals/electrodes to work with.  For a large car body such as a Charger, I think that there are businesses that do that (for big $), but they have to be regulated for the amount of unwanted materials that they produce/dispose of.  I think that is the general process that chrome platers use to stabilize (de-rust) and clean the metal parts (like bumpers, bolts, etc) before they use a different electrochemical process to do the actual plating upon the metal surface.

On a side note, there used to be kits that you could attach to the trunk area of the car that contained a sacrificial metal (Zinc comes to mind, although it could also be other transition metals), such that the corrosion occurring upon the car would be limited to the attached bar rather than the surrounding sheetmetal.  The sacrificial metal oxidizes easier than the sheetmetal.  The basic principle has been used to protect cargo ships for many years.  It has been awhile since I have ran across a car with one of those systems attached.....

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 13, 2009, 07:36:42 PM
I talked to an ex-body guy (my freinds dad) he said to do it, and there were some spots the it was the blaster or chemicals, I tested it and it went well, no damage to the car, I'm just a little uncomfortable :eek2:
But heres my next question, I just bought some Purple Power De-ruster, to spray and leave then paint it, anyone know if its good or not???

I have never used that particular product, but you have to be careful about products that you just paint over.  PR-15 is a similar type of product and I have seen photos of parts that it failed to protect (I am not saying PR-15 is bad, just that you need to chose the right application for it).  The potential problem is that if it ever cracks or chips, the rust layer will become exposed and you will have to redo the part again.  To me, it would be better to completely remove the rust before topping the area with a good rust preventing primer/coating polymer.....

500hp_440

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 13, 2009, 07:45:55 PM

I have never used that particular product, but you have to be careful about products that you just paint over.  PR-15 is a similar type of product and I have seen photos of parts that it failed to protect (I am not saying PR-15 is bad, just that you need to chose the right application for it).  The potential problem is that if it ever cracks or chips, the rust layer will become exposed and you will have to redo the part again.  To me, it would be better to completely remove the rust before topping the area with a good rust preventing primer/coating polymer.....
thanks ill try to sand it some more. I just hate that trunk its big but not comfortable  :rotz:  :lol:
Let it alone^.

rav440

10 guys here that know what they are talking about say DO NOT SAND BLAST SHEET METAL and 1 ex-bodyman says yes its ok to sand blast sheet metal , and you listen to him  :shruggy: :scratchchin: i wonder why hes not a body man anymore  :shruggy:

well atlest the CHARGER isnt getting painted black , so thats a plus .  :2thumbs:

did you ever get a chance to pull the valve covers ?
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

500hp_440

Quote from: rav440 on January 13, 2009, 07:56:55 PM

10 guys here that know what they are talking about say DO NOT SAND BLAST SHEET METAL and 1 ex-bodyman says yes its ok to sand blast sheet metal , and you listen to him  :shruggy: :scratchchin: i wonder why hes not a body man anymore  :shruggy:

well atlest the CHARGER isnt getting painted black , so thats a plus .  :2thumbs:

did you ever get a chance to pull the valve covers ?
He said its ok and it looked at one of the websites someone posted and it said blah blah blah and it wasnt heat that did it, but I watch it carefully and there was really no other way, unless I grind it and I could just imagine the flood of comments I'd get, but no warpage, least not enought to notice :2thumbs:. He's and es-bady guy because he retired, plus I've watched him work before, he knows his stuff.
and no I didnt, Ive been going full steam on the body, havent even lifted the hood, I'll try to tomarrow :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

**Today's run down**
Sand blasted CAREFULLY after I was told to do so, the trunk and some of the cab, worked awsome, besides a broken air hose and some discomfort :eek2:.
I sprayed some Royal Purpal De-rust, on my surface rust and rough spots. All-in-all it went very well.
Tomrrow I'm going to try to get my head numbers, some paint down, and/or finish my prep work :D.
Let it alone^.

defiance

there are other types of media blasting.  I had mine soda blasted.  It has some disadvantages; the surface MUST be treated immediately afterward because of the chemical composition, and it gets into EVERYTHING so requires a thorough cleaning - but it removes the paint and it's less damaging to the metal.
Guess you've already done your part though, so whatever :P

quentin

I've been reading this thread, and I'm finally ready to make my decision.  I'm going to go with mental nut cases.
'73 SE, 400, 4 barrel with 3 on the tree

500hp_440

**Thread Update**
thread has a new name, and I modified the first post, to more reflect what you all have taught me!

Quote from: defiance on January 13, 2009, 11:14:28 PM
there are other types of media blasting.  I had mine soda blasted.  It has some disadvantages; the surface MUST be treated immediately afterward because of the chemical composition, and it gets into EVERYTHING so requires a thorough cleaning - but it removes the paint and it's less damaging to the metal.
Guess you've already done your part though, so whatever :P
I couldn't do that because of the immediate cleaning thing, and all the exposed metal on the car and water nope not a good combo, that like bondo on a original :lol:
Let it alone^.

Topher

You are making progress in the right direction Ryan. Keep up the good work, and take lots of pictures.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

TUFCAT

500hp_440

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 14, 2009, 11:38:05 AM
post pictures  :popcrn:

My computers crappier then your litter box TUFCAT, if I could I would but, I've tried and cant.
Their on myspace www.myspace.com/rip_mpm
Let it alone^.

TUFCAT

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

General_01

Keep it up. :2thumbs:

Now, if you you can, take that direct link to your myspace pics that mike put up and put it in your sig. That way, every time you post and want people to look at your pics they can hit the link right in your sig.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

500hp_440

Quote from: General_01 on January 14, 2009, 07:50:38 PM
Keep it up. :2thumbs:

Now, if you you can, take that direct link to your myspace pics that mike put up and put it in your sig. That way, every time you post and want people to look at your pics they can hit the link right in your sig.
Good idea I'll try right after I get my heads number.
Let it alone^.