News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

500hp_440

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 11, 2009, 11:01:17 PM
Have you considered learning and practicing on some other vehicle, then once you know how to do the job right start back in on your Charger? 
I have, but I have nothing to paint, also all my practice in the cab will be coverd, and ill start in the front of the trunk, where you cant see, it shouldnt look too bad, and if its horrible, sand it and retry, but I will pratice with the gun before I start, normal I would but not this time, and I dont know why.
Thanks though.
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2009, 09:39:30 AM
There is undercoating inside the trunk on the inner part of the quarter panels. It is then painted over along with the rest of the car. There's no textured paint or different color in there. The undercoating acts as a sound deadener.

Troy

where can I get that stuff or what can I use in its place?
Let it alone^.

Troy

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 12, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2009, 09:39:30 AM
There is undercoating inside the trunk on the inner part of the quarter panels. It is then painted over along with the rest of the car. There's no textured paint or different color in there. The undercoating acts as a sound deadener.

Troy

where can I get that stuff or what can I use in its place?
Use the "Search" function of the site and look up "undercoating" (you may also want to add "3M"). If you use the "Advanced Search" you can even narrow down the results to the Paint, Body & Trim board. There's an incredible amount of really good information there if you take the time to read it.

Start here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=undercoat

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 12, 2009, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 11, 2009, 11:01:17 PM
Have you considered learning and practicing on some other vehicle, then once you know how to do the job right start back in on your Charger? 
I have, but I have nothing to paint, also all my practice in the cab will be coverd, and ill start in the front of the trunk, where you cant see, it shouldnt look too bad, and if its horrible, sand it and retry, but I will pratice with the gun before I start, normal I would but not this time, and I dont know why.
Thanks though.

If you want something to pratice on, I suggest going down to a local body shop and see if they have any damaged fenders, doors, etc. that they would give you.  If not, you could always buy a junked fender out of a salvage yard, just don't pay much for it.  This way, you can pratice both body work (dent repair) and painting skills using the same target.  Your car might not need body work, but it is always good to be prepared incase it ever needs some.  As for the undercoating, there is some spray cans of undercoating at most autopart stores (Wal-mart here has it), but you will be facing the same issue as with the spray paints.  I don't know how effective it is as an undercoating, as I have not used it much.  Watch out on using a chemical paint stripper in your trunk area to remove the remaining undercoating, those solutions are quite toxic by design and the vapors can condense in closed areas.  Same can be said of most spray paints, so make sure you have pleanty of ventilation when you use them.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Topher

Good advice given here Ryan. The secret to body/paint work is PATIENCE and PREPERATION. You can have $10,000 worth of paint, but it will still look bad if applied over poor prep work. I think that you should go to a local paint/body shop(or if the local communtiy college offers classes go there) and see if you can work part time with your learning and experience being your pay. You'll be alot happier with the results after lots nand lots of practice.

I just thought of something, Yer 16 and in high school I presume(obviously not majoring in Engrish). My son is 17 and he goes to our local community college in a Dual Enrollment Program. Speak to your guidence counselor and see if you can sign up for a similar program. Even if they don't have paint/body take an automotive class and learn all you can. The best thing about this program is he takes the classes for a GREATLY reduced rate. We have to buy the books, but a couple hundred dollar class only cost $20, and if we get there in time we can purchase used books. A worthwhile investment. Look at it this way my young friend, No one can take away your Education.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Finn

In CA, if you're in high school you can get up to two college classes covered by the state each semester. I had most of my gen-eds knocked out by the time I graduated. I get my AS this semester at 18 so I think it was worth it.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

TUFCAT

Quote from: skip68 on January 11, 2009, 11:09:54 PM
Like Sublime said.  :yesnod:  Find an old fender and practice on that.  The inside.  :2thumbs:

That's a great IDEA... and when you think you got good at the inside, then flip 'er over and do the outside.  :icon_smile_wink:

Many guys on our board are paint/body experts. My friend in Detroit (member Hemi-Hampton) is always willing to help out if you need advise.

500hp_440

Thanks
Topher I thinkg we both have about the same grade in english, well have and had.
I had an idea just know I thinkg you guys might have said it but what if it take my hood off (needs to be done anyways) and sand blast/prime it?
I also have a spare one in another county if anyone needs a 69 charger hood.
and thanks!
Let it alone^.

69bronzeT5

Unless you need the money, I'd suggest keeping that hood. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

500hp_440

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 12, 2009, 10:21:56 PM
Unless you need the money, I'd suggest keeping that hood. :yesnod:
Well its free, it will take 4 hours to get and 4 hours to get home (if I do 85, and nothin goes wrong) so if someone needs one I'll go get it and keep the beetter one for me and sell the other  :shruggy:, or I have no use for it and no where to put it. So this is use it or lose it.
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

**Update**
All my interior is in my horse trailor, and my charger's back on all 4, I just borrowed a sand blaster and ordered new front brake lines (I gave in I'm puting the discs in the front :yesnod:), and a new sending unit (the old one broke in transit need to call and add it the list tomarrow) and the new mastercylinder is going back, I'm rebuilding one of the 3 old ones I got, and I bought good primer paint  :icon_smile_big:, tomarrow I'm going to sand blast and paint, fun fun fun since daddy took the t-bird away (we drive chargers, who cares about t-birds?).
Let it alone^.

mikesbbody

Sounds like things are moving along  :2thumbs: re: the hood i have to agree with cody if possible keep it you can never have enough spares! i see your point though it is a long drive can it not be stored where its at now? or does the guy want it gone?

500hp_440

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 12, 2009, 10:41:56 PM
Sounds like things are moving along  :2thumbs: re: the hood i have to agree with cody if possible keep it you can never have enough spares! i see your point though it is a long drive can it not be stored where its at now? or does the guy want it gone?
To tell the truth I'm not sure if it's there anymore, I can find out, but it will cost me about $150 or so in diesel to get it if he needs it gone but how much would you say its worth? If it's worth about $300+ I'll go get it, sand it and paint it, then sell it, but if it not worth more then the fuel, its not worth it. I will call though, I can use another long road trip.  :yesnod:
Let it alone^.

mikesbbody

To be honest, i cant tell you what its worth without seeing a pic etc plus, there are 2nd gen guy's here that can give you a much better idea than i can re: its value. I guess if its worth more than the price of the diesel then maybe get it before it disappears? 

500hp_440

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 12, 2009, 10:57:49 PM
To be honest, i cant tell you what its worth without seeing a pic etc plus, there are 2nd gen guy's here that can give you a much better idea than i can re: its value. I guess if its worth more than the price of the diesel then maybe get it before it disappears? 
If i can get an address I think I'll cruise down there, maby talk a cutie into going...... Ok that wont happen but let me dream!!! :lol:
Let it alone^.

72SE

Troy

Oh, please don't just start blasting away at sheet metal. It's ok on frame rails and places with lots of overlaps and bends for stiffness (like the engine compartment) but on long, flat area you can warp it real quick. Sandblasting heats up the metal in a hurry and the sheet metal will "oil can". An experienced professional might be able to do it but I've even seen some damage after they were done.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

72SE

Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2009, 11:17:08 PM
Oh, please don't just start blasting away at sheet metal. It's ok on frame rails and places with lots of overlaps and bends for stiffness (like the engine compartment) but on long, flat area you can warp it real quick. Sandblasting heats up the metal in a hurry and the sheet metal will "oil can". An experienced professional might be able to do it but I've even seen some damage after they were done.

Troy

:iagree:

Troy, That's where I was heading next. I saw mention of a sandblaster up there :o Mike

500hp_440

Quote from: 72SE on January 12, 2009, 11:19:47 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2009, 11:17:08 PM

Troy

:iagree:

Troy, That's where I was heading next. I saw mention of a sandblaster up there :o Mike
I have a real rough spot on my floor boards, and some rust in the fast back (cant reach it) and some in the trunk, thanks for telling me or that could have ended very badly :yesnod:.
Let it alone^.

Topher

DO NOT SANDBLAST THAT HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll regret it. I did mine from 20 foot away and it warped it. Slow down and get you some experience and learning before hammering away at the body work. Listen to the long beards dude. We've been there, done that, and have made the mistakes we're trying to keep you from making.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

500hp_440

How do I fix this rust?
I cant describe it and my computers not worth the energy to throw out the window, so I have to put it on myspace :brickwall:
www.myspace.com/rip_mpm , it will be up in a few minuets.
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: Topher on January 12, 2009, 11:32:18 PM
DO NOT SANDBLAST THAT HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll regret it. I did mine from 20 foot away and it warped it. Slow down and get you some experience and learning before hammering away at the body work. Listen to the long beards dude. We've been there, done that, and have made the mistakes we're trying to keep you from making.
I have some spot that I physical can not reach, at all in the fast back how do I go about getting those?
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

I'm going to bed I'll check this before I start tomarrow, What if i tone my air tank back from 120 to bout 50psi? or what psi can I use? or just start at 20psi and go up SLOWLY? I know sandblaster work great but I'll take your word it'll effe up my car, hense this post, but like I said I have some sufface rust (I hope its surface) that i cant reach at all so I think this is my only way, someone stop me or push me.
thanks  :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.

72SE

PocketThunder

Damn, i remember when i was in my teens and i had a free 6 hours a day to work on my car...  :brickwall:  Now i'm lucky to find 6 hours in a week!  :'(

Keep up the good work 500hp  :2thumbs:  and keep the cuties at arms length or they will take over your life and your Charger will suffer...   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."