News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: Tilar on January 09, 2009, 07:30:25 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 06:23:25 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 09, 2009, 05:03:02 AM
I almost got a 1970 R/T SE 440+6 4-speed Charger when I was 15 but my parents refused...    "You'll kill yourself" - and you know what ?  with many years of maturity later I realized they would have been right...   
When I think of the way he first talked about speed, and wheelies.  It reminded me of the poor sole on the BMW sit that talked the same way on his Bimmer site then the next night ended up wrapping the car and his friends around a tree.  That was sad and shocking to see his post, and then they were gone.  FL also, correct?  You're young and have many years to go.  Take it slow my friend.  Then of course there are always race tracks.

I remember when that happened. What a waste of a young life.  :'(

yeah so do i ..what a waste .... gave me chills reading  all that thread on that BM forum ......it was on a runway also from memory ... crazy kid  :rotz:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

defiance

Yeah, flew off a runway, which had an embankment on the end, flew 200ft, and demolished the car on a tree at the bottom --- still 15ft off the ground at that point.  Saddest thing was the guy had a four friends in the car with him, all dead - all between 18 and 20.

Anyway, Ryan's not quite in the same boat here.  That guy just took the keys to daddy's hard-earned supercar.  Ryan's going to have to put countless hours and dollars into this charger to get it right.  When your own sweat and blood go into putting something together, you learn to really respect it.  Or at least I did. 

Anyway, Ryan, if you haven't read the story everyone's talking about, it is a good read.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=124526

skip68

Thanks for posting that defiance.   :cheers:   I think this would be a good story for all young gun new drivers to read.   :yesnod:   Very sad story that may help others see what can happen.     
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

500hp_440

Quote from: defiance on January 09, 2009, 10:08:15 PM
Yeah, flew off a runway, which had an embankment on the end, flew 200ft, and demolished the car on a tree at the bottom --- still 15ft off the ground at that point.  Saddest thing was the guy had a four friends in the car with him, all dead - all between 18 and 20.

Anyway, Ryan's not quite in the same boat here.  That guy just took the keys to daddy's hard-earned supercar.  Ryan's going to have to put countless hours and dollars into this charger to get it right.  When your own sweat and blood go into putting something together, you learn to really respect it.  Or at least I did. 

Anyway, Ryan, if you haven't read the story everyone's talking about, it is a good read.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=124526

Wow, I'll make sure not to race on unfamilair ground, that's horrible on many levels.
I'm going to learn how to control her every way i can.
Post it as a thread, if I could upload photos I would.
Let it alone^.

bull

Yea, that's the lesson we're trying to convey, don't race ON UNFAMILIAR GROUND. :rotz: Pull your head out.

hemi-hampton

500hp_440

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 10, 2009, 12:10:45 AM
Race at the Drag Strip :slap:
yeah but no harm in a few races on the street not to fast, no harm no fault
but i definaitly understand you, Ive seen people do stupid sh*t, and I have done it too, but i dont want to do it alot
Let it alone^.

skip68

It only takes once.   :yesnod:   You are still learning and mistakes will be made.  Just put safety for your friends and other motorist first and that's the best you can do.   :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Andrew

Quote from: defiance on January 09, 2009, 10:08:15 PM

Ryan's going to have to put countless hours and dollars into this charger to get it right.  When your own sweat and blood go into putting something together, you learn to really respect it.  Or at least I did. 

Thats whats probably gonna save his life. and his car.

I have a friend who bought a celica GT-4 (twin turbo, allwheel drive thing) as his first car. Hes normally a pretty level headed guy, but when he gets behind the wheel, he thinks he is god or something. and because the cops around here are so soft, he thinks he can get away with anything. There is not a single straight panel left on his car, and 100% of it happened when he was driving at what he considered to be a "safe speed" (30 over the speed limit, normally).

You may think you are being all safe and noble for only racing down back country, unpopulated roads, but the guy who you almost hit who is just minding his own business driving to work in the morning, who you run off the road, thinks you are a fucking prick.

Not saying you will be like this in your charger. I was just reading your posts about drifting your lifted jeep and thinking "this is the cunt who ran me into a ditch last week because he was trying to impress his mates" (just to clarify - I dont actually think you are the specific person who caused me to to go into a ditch - I am saying you are no better than him though).

This has turned into a bit of a rant. Im not even sure what my origonal point was.

teamroth

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 10, 2009, 01:01:45 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 10, 2009, 12:10:45 AM
Race at the Drag Strip :slap:
yeah but no harm in a few races on the street not to fast, no harm no fault
but i definaitly understand you, Ive seen people do stupid sh*t, and I have done it too, but i dont want to do it alot

you just aren't really getting it are you kid? Thank the stars above that it will realistically be a year or more before you have this high horsepower machine on the road. Maybe by then you will do some growing up. Take it however you want it.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Sublime/Sixpack

Ryan, its really difficult to not want to bad mouth you!
Many of us have tried to be patient with you and talk sense to you and help to open your eyes but you just don't seem to get it!      This life is about MORE than just YOU.  Its about everyone, and each of us must do our part to be responsible citizens!  It seems that you are just too immature to put anyone before yourself.  It seems that you think this world is all about you, and how cool you are going to look in your Charger while terrorizing the streets.  But you won't look cool, you'll look like an immature, self-centered, inconsiderate kid, and you'll probably end up killing or maming someone else that doesn't deserve it.
No harm in a few races on the street you say? I say you're wrong! There is harm in it, thats why we have laws against it. And thats why good people on this site are trying to reach you before its too late! 
Its time for you to start thinking about someone other than yourself bud. You just don't realize that driving is a PRIVILEGE, it is not a RIGHT.
This is real life, its not "Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift".   And remember in this life there are consequences for when we screw up. If severe enough it will mean prision time, where you'll end up being someones love toy.
Heres another little piece of advice; When in doubt, open your ears and close your mouth.  Its a very good way to learn.

Listen up Ryan because people are trying to help you.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

BB1

This ain't Hollywood kid, this is real.  :slap:

It takes balls to not want to race on the street; deaths door is always open.
Delete my profile

500hp_440

Let it alone^.

General_01

I still stand behind my answer to the original question to this thread. Your parents are mental nut cases.

When I was a kid, I asked my dad if I could get a Dart Swinger with a 340. My Dad said no. You want to know why? Because he was teenager once and he knew I was a teenager. He knew that as a teenager what you tell your parents(OK, I needed that. I will slow down.) is almost always overrode by what your friends tell you(peer pressure). Plus, he paid attention to things I liked.I watched Drag Racing, went to the track in town to watch the funny cars drag, drove my CR80 like a bat out of hell, etc. He thought it would not be long before I was driving that car like I drove my dirt bike. If your parents have any inkling about how you drive your other vehicle, and they should, then they are crazy for letting you get anything bigger then a slant 6. I am not bashing you. I just think your parents should be doing a better job of monitoring what you do. I had one of my high school friends die while riding with a buddy of his down a windy road next to the Mississippi River. His buddy probably thought he wasn't driving too fast either. :eyes:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

bill440rt

Quote from: General_01 on January 10, 2009, 01:00:01 PM
I still stand behind my answer to the original question to this thread. Your parents are mental nut cases.

I don't think the apple falls far from the tree... :D
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

teamroth

Bottom line is this, while a few of the young bucks may have learned some respect or whatever you want to call it(Respect to me is not something that can be earned on a computer, knowledge and humility yes, but we're all sort of anonymous here) Ryan is going to do whatever he is going to do. We can all preach all we want, but until he learns how not to be a dick on his own, we're all just wasting our breathe here. I have not seen much difference from his original posting other than, maybe a slight change in attitude, that is done to quell the continuous reprimanding of his behavior. But he still thinks he knows it all, and placates everyone with his responses like, OK I'll do better, or I'll take it slow. IMHO hopefully no one gets hurt with his shameless: my dad can kick your ass, I drift in my jeep, my car has 500hp and is the best ever, and will do wheelies kind of attitude. Yes your parents are mental nut cases, and will be responsible and should be if you hurt someone.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 10, 2009, 12:40:36 PM
Thanks, I needed that.
I'll take it slower now.
Alrighty then.  Thanks for listening Ryan, the guys mean well and hopefully some of the advise is sinking in and you will just enjoy the car for what a classic it is and not go to crazy.

Write us for car advise and we'll all help you out in any way we can, I'm sure. :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

500hp_440

If yall tell me something and i say I'll do it, I will do it, and if you don't believe me, that's not my problem.
If you give me advice and i take it, don't come back to bash on me for taking it the way I did because "you have a feeling", if you want to help me I very much appreciate it, but if you don't want to do anything but be arrogant (like I was) then do everyone a favor, keep it in your head.
Defiance was right, I'll treat the car I had to build better then a production car that someone else made.
I will tell you this, will I speed yes, will i race a car or two yes, will I do it everyday no, will it be a common thing no, will it happen yes.
But because of most of you the answer changed from yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes to that.
I'm not someone that will race down the highway at top speed to beat a Civic to the exit, but from light to light a just over over the speed limit I will do that. But I wont cruise at 120mph or anything.
P.S. Ive only drifted my jeep on pavement 2 times, both were not on purpose and the pavement was wet.
Let it alone^.

bull

I am not bashing you. I just think your parents should be doing a better job of monitoring what you do.

This is what I don't get. Why are we having to step into the parental role? Is the dad completely clueless as to how most young men think? Very odd. I'd like to hear his side of the story.

My dad let me have a '70 Charger when I was 16 but he benched the 383 and made me run a 225 in it for two years until I was 18. If he hadn't I probably wouldn't be here today.

teamroth

1969chargerrtse

Here's a thought.  How about a fresh start from here.  Ryan ask us Charger questions on the Charger site, and we help him out.  No more opinions, thoughts, comments on what we think or what he says he will do.

If you find anything interesting about your car, please share it with us.
If you have any questions please ask. 

:2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

General_01

Quote from: bull on January 10, 2009, 02:06:06 PM
I am not bashing you. I just think your parents should be doing a better job of monitoring what you do.

This is what I don't get. Why are we having to step into the parental role? Is the dad completely clueless as to how most young men think? Very odd. I'd like to hear his side of the story.

My dad let me have a '70 Charger when I was 16 but he benched the 383 and made me run a 225 in it for two years until I was 18. If he hadn't I probably wouldn't be here today.

Your Dad was even better than mine. I got to drive the '77  4-door Volare' with the 225, manual trnsmission. Than my Dad traded my moms '72 Polara with a 318 in on a 4 cylinder Dodge Omni. Both were my parents vehicle's. Like you, in hindsight I see he was pretty smart.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 10, 2009, 02:14:11 PM
Here's a thought.  How about a fresh start from here.  Ryan ask us Charger questions on the Charger site, and we help him out.  No more opinions, thoughts, comments on what we think or what he says he will do.

I could see this if he comes on here and says "I am going to paint my car (insert ugly Ford color here) and I am going to put shag carpet in it, etc. etc.".
The way someone wants to paint their car, do up the interior and such is a personal taste option and if I don't like it, tough for me. Not my car.

But when a kid comes on here and talks about drag racing on the street and drifting his truck LIKE THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING THAT, then he needs to be told different EVERY TIME until it really sinks in. I go by the rule that if you don't say no to kids, they take that as a yes. I have two daughters and have to deal with "kid logic" constantly.
496 stroker
4-speed

tan top

:yesnod:.........  :popcrn:  .......... :2thumbs:  
first thing i would do , is get a FSM factory service manual ...have a good read up on every thing ,& familiarise   with the FSM & parts on the car fitted !!, then go around & check every thing that your not going to change ,  as just because someone has fitted the parts before you , does not mean there fitted properly , (probably are ok , but  why take a chance )  check for loose bolts & stuff  , also no wires cracked or  live ones grounding out  ..etc  ..anything your not sure of Ryan !!   take a picture dude & post it up  we'll, do our best to help  :popcrn: .... :scope: ... :yesnod: 

AND  :yesnod: true leave the racing to the drag strip ... ain't worth it Ryan , even if your the best  driver in  state , & you have been racing for 40 years ,some old guy pulls out from a side road or  runs a stop sign  ,etc etc ..... little kid on a bike  rides out across  the road or  something,   you might think your in control  , & be able to handle the car  , but you can't control what other road users & pedestrians are going to do ....
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

teamroth

I'm new here so I want it to be understood that I am not just stirring the pot, but no opinions and thoughts and comments? Aren't these the things that let people know what kind of character someone has?(again this is the internet, so it's all subjective anyway) The way you describe things takes away his accountability. Trust me we've all needed to check our Ego's at the door a time or two.