News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

wheelies are gay. any idiot with a 500 HP charger can do a wheelie.

what's REALLY cool is to set your ride up to do stoppies.

you get your ride to do that your gonna be one bad-azzed hombre.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

500hp_440

Quote from: SFRT on January 06, 2009, 10:50:53 PM

well after 80 when my rear drums fail and my front disks lock we'll see what happens :D
Let it alone^.

Silver R/T

without all the joking you should restore that Charger back to original specs and condition. That way when its all done you can cruise in it to all the shows and show it off and take 1st place trophy for its originality. Later on you can pass it onto your kids/family to enjoy, that would be best thing you could do with it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

500hp_440

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 06, 2009, 10:56:02 PM
without all the joking you should restore that Charger back to original specs and condition. That way when its all done you can cruise in it to all the shows and show it off and take 1st place trophy for its originality. Later on you can pass it onto your kids/family to enjoy, that would be best thing you could do with it.
i agree but shes getting my spare disk brakes in the front, i would rather not wrap it around a tree, ill get everything but engine to stock well close to stock im not spending $20 for a bolt (not matching numbers, shes going to run the strip)
i want to pass it down my family
Let it alone^.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:40:14 PM
i know they arent around, ill make one, i have time like that

Um...good luck with that? :-\
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:23:02 PM
please stop questioning my hp, im not mad at you i would to but heres the deal
i was told 375 stock power then the old owner (not the seller) 3 months after i bought the car and he said 500horse power
not a sales pitch at all
but im doing what needs done now such and cooling, brakes and fuel

I was just giving advice on what you should be doing with the car from my perspective if I was in your shoes.  375 horse power was the stock rating for a 440 HP engine in a 1969 RT using the old rating system, which is what it had coming from the factory.  Since the engine is not stock, I would think that you would rather want to find out what it really is producing (by having it measured with an instrument designed for doing just that) rather than taking the word of someone else.  I am not saying that it could not have 500 hp, it very well could if built right by the right person (for example, Petty Enterprises).  But, would it not be better to know exactly what it does produce than trusting on what someone else says?   If it does produce 500 hp on the dyno, then you will have evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt that it produces that and you will gain more creditability.  If it is less than that, you can work on a plan with a engine builder to get it there.  I think that you really have nothing to lose (other than the price of the dyno time) in that reguard. :Twocents:....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Topher

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

500hp_440

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 06, 2009, 11:12:26 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:23:02 PM
please stop questioning my hp, im not mad at you i would to but heres the deal
i was told 375 stock power then the old owner (not the seller) 3 months after i bought the car and he said 500horse power
not a sales pitch at all
but im doing what needs done now such and cooling, brakes and fuel

I was just giving advice on what you should be doing with the car from my perspective if I was in your shoes.  375 horse power was the stock rating for a 440 HP engine in a 1969 RT using the old rating system, which is what it had coming from the factory.  Since the engine is not stock, I would think that you would rather want to find out what it really is producing (by having it measured with an instrument designed for doing just that) rather than taking the word of someone else.  I am not saying that it could not have 500 hp, it very well could if built right by the right person (for example, Petty Enterprises).  But, would it not be better to know exactly what it does produce than trusting on what someone else says?   If it does produce 500 hp on the dyno, then you will have evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt that it produces that and you will gain more creditability.  If it is less than that, you can work on a plan with a engine builder to get it there.  I think that you really have nothing to lose (other than the price of the dyno time) in that reguard. :Twocents:....
i hear you, i wasnt trying to sound mad or anything, ive just heard that alot in the past few days, and i will take it to the dyno
Let it alone^.

Red Ram

Looking forward to your progress photos. Where will you start first?
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

SFRT

I just did the final dyno tune on my 440HP with a 4 speed. I ended up with 405 hp at the rear wheels which equals about 480-something at the flywheel.non stroker, using aluminum heads and all the goodies. with a more radical cam and some porting I may be able to get another 50-60 HP out of it, if I feel like spending more money.

it was not inexpensive to get there.and remember, you will need to make sure the rest of your drive train is as decently built/rebuilt as your motor.

this is what my motor looks like.

Always Drive Responsibly

C_stripes

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 11:05:14 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 06, 2009, 10:56:02 PM
i agree but shes getting my spare disk brakes in the front, i would rather not wrap it around a tree, ill get everything but engine to stock well close to stock im not spending $20 for a bolt (not matching numbers, shes going to run the strip)
i want to pass it down my family

you can build it right first time or you can half ass it over and over again for whichever times.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SFRT

when I bought my basket case 1 year ago I spent about a month reading everything I could find on the various technical threads here, then made what I felt where balanced and rational choices to get to my goal of a daily driving 500 HP street car that runs on 91 octane. Thanks to the info here I am almost at my goal.

If you are serious about your car and your build, take the time to research here there are many many build threads. I posted a lot of pix of my build as I did it, and I did it mostly myself, and you can get a realistic idea of whats going to be involved. I have 3 or 4 threads under SFRT look them up.
Always Drive Responsibly

Arizona Dave

Quote from: Ranger Max on January 06, 2009, 05:57:06 PM
Your Brother should hand out these cluepons!!!
(just in fun no  :poke: intended)
BTW welcome to the site 500hp  ;)

Funny Stuff!  My wife gave me one of these coupon/cluepons a while back, except her's was laden with words like Dumbass and Idiot.  It went on to list all the things I'd need to do to get off her sheit list.  This was after she discovered we were tight on $funds one month, yet somehow I managed to have 2 built dual quad 426 Hemi motors on engine stands in the garage.  Some women just don't get it.   
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

Finn

Actually I just read an article in either popular hot rodding or mopar action about a new 440 hemi crate engine...I'd link you guys but I'm on my iPod. I know there was no 440 hemi back in the day but still.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Arizona Dave

Quote from: SFRT on January 06, 2009, 11:30:01 PM
I just did the final dyno tune on my 440HP with a 4 speed. I ended up with 405 hp at the rear wheels which equals about 480-something at the flywheel.non stroker, using aluminum heads and all the goodies. with a more radical cam and some porting I may be able to get another 50-60 HP out of it, if I feel like spending more money.

it was not inexpensive to get there.and remember, you will need to make sure the rest of your drive train is as decently built/rebuilt as your motor.

She's a beaut!!   :drive:  Nice work.
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tommymac

Quote from: Arizona Dave on January 07, 2009, 12:21:58 AM
Quote from: SFRT on January 06, 2009, 11:30:01 PM

She's a beaut!!   :drive:  Nice work.
Very nice motor also,I see your vac pump and power booster for Discs,is it working ok for you,I twined mine to the motor vac and hooked it to a switch so I dont have to run it all the time ,Its noisy.How many Inches of vac are you making on motor only?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 04, 2009, 12:19:09 AM
i'LL RACE BOSS BALLER BACKWARDS IN THE MOTORHOME

Dave, that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time :rofl:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

defiance

Not to beat a dead horse(power), but on the HP thing :)  -- My dad truly believed my charger was 500 horses when he finished setting up the 440 in the charger that's now mine (last time around).  It felt great.  It dyno'd under 300.  Honestly, people just don't really "get" horsepower these days - Nobody's saying anyone lied to you, just that real hp numbers aren't what people are used to.  That's not a bad thing, though!  It's just a number.  What matters is how it FEELS :D.

terrible one

Quote from: SFRT on January 06, 2009, 10:50:53 PM

Haha here you go:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1984-Dodge-RampageI-just_1198.htm

tommymac

Way to go TO thats a laugh,This kid is in for a rude awakening.Just thinking of all the time ive spent on just my car,its unreal .

SFRT

yep it never ends. part of the fun! hah.

on my vac pump...i double isolated it on rubber donuts plus I slathered the entire inside of the car with dynamat so I can't hear or feel the thing running at all when the engine is running. just a little faint whirring sound before it fires up.it runs the 4 discs just fine. I also have it
hooked to the motor vacuum through a check valve from a Mercedes, so if the pump ever croaks I will still have some brake booster vacuum.
Always Drive Responsibly

tommymac

thats kind of how I did mine,but I put mine under the horns to the right of the Rad.that metal is kind of shakey,and i diddnt do the dynamat,I just might take out the whole interior to do that,it wouldnt be hard,about how much for that stuff.

SFRT

I mounted mine on an aluminum plate thats bolted to the battery tray supports with the rubber donuts etc. dynamat is expensive...I spent about 700 bucks to do the entire car.but it really does work pretty good.
Always Drive Responsibly