News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 04:15:37 PM
I have a radiator question, mine needs a core I was quoted $300 and change or Yearone :eek2: a new one for $350 (not sure how much the price went up) or $500 recore, should i recore it or is there somewhere i can get a good cheap radiator for it? ( great job on the spell check :2thumbs:. Now if you can just get your " i " to look like " I "  I think were all done with you.
You live in Hollywood FL correct?  Up here in expensive Ct, the tax me state.  I paid 400.00 for a 3 core, recore.  I used to live in Hollywood Fl, I know for sure you can find cheaper prices around that town.  Let me know when it's on the road.  My brother is a cop down there.  I'll have him pull you over while doing one of your wheelies and give you a coupon.   :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 06, 2009, 05:16:34 PM
My brother is a cop down there.  I'll have him pull you over while doing one of your wheelies and give you a coupon.   :coolgleamA:
Now that was pretty funny right there.....didnt know you had it in you Rob :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ranger Max

Your Brother should hand out these cluepons!!!
(just in fun no  :poke: intended)
BTW welcome to the site 500hp  ;)

WingCharger

500hp_440

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 06, 2009, 05:16:34 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 04:15:37 PM
I have a radiator question, mine needs a core I was quoted $300 and change or Yearone :eek2: a new one for $350 (not sure how much the price went up) or $500 recore, should i recore it or is there somewhere i can get a good cheap radiator for it? ( great job on the spell check :2thumbs:. Now if you can just get your " i " to look like " I "  I think were all done with you.
You live in Hollywood FL correct?  Up here in expensive Ct, the tax me state.  I paid 400.00 for a 3 core, recore.  I used to live in Hollywood Fl, I know for sure you can find cheaper prices around that town.  Let me know when it's on the road.  My brother is a cop down there.  I'll have him pull you over while doing one of your wheelies and give you a coupon.   :coolgleamA:
sorry I dont live in hollywood, I live in PSL, in the county, city cops dont have jerasdiction (I know I cant spell it)
but does $300 and change sound good or should I buy a new one?
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: Topher on January 06, 2009, 04:35:16 PM
What direction to you want to go with this car? You may want to sit down, calm down, clear your thoughts, and writed down your ideas for the car. Do you want a sweet original looking ride, or do you want a mean and nasty street bruiser? It's your car, so build it how you want. It will help save you TONS of CASH and TIME to set a direction for the car FIRST then execute.
it will be both, look sweet buy burn more rubber then a nascar hooker, out side and cab stock (except radio) and the drive train will be strip and street
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: Ranger Max on January 06, 2009, 05:57:06 PM
Your Brother should hand out these cluepons!!!
(just in fun no  :poke: intended)
BTW welcome to the site 500hp  ;)
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
thanks  :cheers:
Let it alone^.

Harlow

Have you called around? When I had my 26" radiator recored I'm pretty sure I got it done for under $200.

500hp_440

Quote from: Harlow on January 06, 2009, 06:38:44 PM
Have you called around? When I had my 26" radiator recored I'm pretty sure I got it done for under $200.
nice i was hope for $100 (yes im a dreamer)
ill try that
Let it alone^.

Harlow

Yeah come on man. You gotta call around to get quotes from all the shops in your area.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 06:42:04 PM
nice i was hope for $100 (yes im a dreamer)
ill try that
So you're all done with spell check?  Well, it was nice for awhile.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

500hp_440

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 06, 2009, 06:55:30 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 06:42:04 PM
nice i was hope for $100 (yes I'm a dreamer)
ill try that
So you're all done with spell check?  Well, it was nice for awhile.
Nice, I was hoping for $100. (Yes, I'm a dreamer.)
Let it alone^.

Finn

**Nice, I was hoping for $100 (yes, I'm a dreamer).**

Just messing, that would be too picky for this site lol.

Hey guys I had a thought; does Ryan's presence on the site somehow promote Wing up a rank??  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Chad L. Magee

More than likely, the recoring of the radiator will cost at least $250.  If you do that, make sure that you get the same radiator shell back and not a different numbered one (which would be worth less money).  Write the numbers down before you take it in and verify that it is what you are getting back.  You can buy a new reproduction radiator for around $600 and then keep your orginal if you want to go that route, or you could spend around the same amount of money for a much better designed (better cooling) radiator system.  Either way, you should hang onto any orginal parts to the car, as you may need them later on down the road if you attempt to do a concorse correct restoration.

As other people have mentioned, you really need to sit down and contemplate exactly what you want to do with this project before you do something that you wish you would not have done.  Study up on the possible choices for the combinations that you want before dropping money into the engine.  Don't rely on what the previous owner told you it would do (time slips at drag strips do help though), have the car dynoed to see what it is actually at.  Sellers have a reason to embelish on their cars reputation, as that can greatly inflate the selling price to different buyers.  Dynos are not biased either way, as they give you what the actual output really is and by doing that, you can find the weak points (power losses) of the car that way.  The reason why these pieces of advice is being mentioned to you comes from people who have learned the hard way from experience.  Back in the day, the first thing people did with musclecars was to remove the smog stuff (to the trash can usually) and put on the go fast goodies (slicks, traction bars, tacks, etc).  Nowdays, the same smog stuff that they threw away is worth big $ to the restoration crowd, since it is needed to make their cars as close to factory as possible.  So if you plan on returning the car back to stock looking or factory, you will need to hang onto any orginal parts that you take off during the build stages or plan on spending alot of time and $ hunting down those same parts you got rid of.  Being an orginal RT/SE, I would tend to favor keeping it orginal or at least stock looking for the most part, rather than making a wild street machine out of it.  If you ever decide to sell it, you will see why I think the way I do.  If you really want to modify the car extensively, I would suggest buying another 1969 Charger (a common 318 will do) for the experimentation, as you would not be risking losing money in the end and also ticking off the purists in the process.

As for the yellow/green combo, you have to realize that it was the psycodelic (sic) era where people were experimenting with drugs that greatly influenced the mindset of the masses.  That is the only reason why I can come up with the color sheme of one of my 68s: yellow exterior/black top/gold interior.  Why would you want to order that on a new car?  Mind altering drugs is the answer.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

500hp_440

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 06, 2009, 09:49:42 PM
More than likely, the recoring of the radiator will cost at least $250.  If you do that, make sure that you get the same radiator shell back and not a different numbered one (which would be worth less money).  Write the numbers down before you take it in and verify that it is what you are getting back.  You can buy a new reproduction radiator for around $600 and then keep your orginal if you want to go that route, or you could spend around the same amount of money for a much better designed (better cooling) radiator system.  Either way, you should hang onto any orginal parts to the car, as you may need them later on down the road if you attempt to do a concorse correct restoration.

As other people have mentioned, you really need to sit down and contemplate exactly what you want to do with this project before you do something that you wish you would not have done.  Study up on the possible choices for the combinations that you want before dropping money into the engine.  Don't rely on what the previous owner told you it would do (time slips at drag strips do help though), have the car dynoed to see what it is actually at.  Sellers have a reason to embelish on their cars reputation, as that can greatly inflate the selling price to different buyers.  Dynos are not biased either way, as they give you what the actual output really is and by doing that, you can find the weak points (power losses) of the car that way.  The reason why these pieces of advice is being mentioned to you comes from people who have learned the hard way from experience.  Back in the day, the first thing people did with musclecars was to remove the smog stuff (to the trash can usually) and put on the go fast goodies (slicks, traction bars, tacks, etc).  Nowdays, the same smog stuff that they threw away is worth big $ to the restoration crowd, since it is needed to make their cars as close to factory as possible.  So if you plan on returning the car back to stock looking or factory, you will need to hang onto any orginal parts that you take off during the build stages or plan on spending alot of time and $ hunting down those same parts you got rid of.  Being an orginal RT/SE, I would tend to favor keeping it orginal or at least stock looking for the most part, rather than making a wild street machine out of it.  If you ever decide to sell it, you will see why I think the way I do.  If you really want to modify the car extensively, I would suggest buying another 1969 Charger (a common 318 will do) for the experimentation, as you would not be risking losing money in the end and also ticking off the purists in the process.

As for the yellow/green combo, you have to realize that it was the psycodelic (sic) era where people were experimenting with drugs that greatly influenced the mindset of the masses.  That is the only reason why I can come up with the color sheme of one of my 68s: yellow exterior/black top/gold interior.  Why would you want to order that on a new car?  Mind altering drugs is the answer.....
please stop questioning my hp, im not mad at you i would to but heres the deal
i was told 375 stock power then the old owner (not the seller) 3 months after i bought the car and he said 500horse power
not a sales pitch at all
but im doing what needs done now such and cooling, brakes and fuel
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 06, 2009, 09:50:20 PM
You should do a Daytona clone :)
Naw, if i were todo that it'd be a CUSTOM 440 Hemi (which i want to do one day) and a 5 speed viper transmition :drive:
Let it alone^.

bill440rt

Just caught and read this ENTIRE thread, and boy are my eyes tired!  :o

Seriously, GREAT score with that car. An original RT/SE in a wacky color combo like that is nothing to take lightly.
If it were me, I'd do a "numbers" resto on it TO THE TAG!!! No playin' around.
Save the wheelies and burnouts on something else less rare or desirable.  But hey, your car...
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:28:05 PM
Naw, if i were todo that it'd be a 440 Hemi (which i want to do one day) and a 5 speed viper transmition :drive:

There is no such thing as a 440 Hemi. And it's TRANSMISSION. :slap:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Silver R/T

Naw, if i were todo that it'd be a 440 Hemi (which i want to do one day) and a 5 speed viper transmition :drive:

You know where I could find one of them rare 440 Hemi's at? Id love to put one in my Charger.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 06, 2009, 10:30:47 PM

I think there is, guy at work was telling me there is one. He apparently knows of 1 of 1 440 Hemi's sitting in someone's garage. Now only if I could get my hands on it. :)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bronzeT5

Silver....it can't be any rarer than one of those 318 6-packs. :D

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bordin34

But there are/were 383 Hemis. Nice Charger from another 16 year old Charger owner.  :2thumbs:

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

500hp_440

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 06, 2009, 10:30:47 PM

i should ride the :shortbus:  :yesnod:, i know they arent around, ill make one, i have time like that
Quote from: bill440rt on January 06, 2009, 10:30:16 PM
Just caught and read this ENTIRE thread, and boy are my eyes tired!  :o

Seriously, GREAT score with that car. An original RT/SE in a wacky color combo like that is nothing to take lightly.
If it were me, I'd do a "numbers" resto on it TO THE TAG!!! No playin' around.
Save the wheelies and burnouts on something else less rare or desirable.  But hey, your car...
:Twocents:
thanks but im going to burn rubber in her, the numbers dont match so it wont be as bad if i break something
Let it alone^.

500hp_440

Quote from: bordin34 on January 06, 2009, 10:39:25 PM
But there are/were 383 Hemis. Nice Charger from another 16 year old Charger owner.  :2thumbs:
i was kidding id make it custom
thanks and congrats
Let it alone^.