News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on February 28, 2009, 10:54:11 AM
Tuf-luv?

Too FUNNY! That was priceless!  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: 

By the way, this kid has a better chance to complete his interior than Ryan.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

(I hope this is okay with you Rob)  :icon_smile_wink:

sound5262

to all, i have actually read this entire thread from front to back just to realize a few things.......1-you can't help everyone. 2-you can't be a father figure to a child that has a huge chip on his shoulder. 3-age really does come into play here. 4-why put up with the constant (you can't tell me anything, i allready know it all syndrome) abuse from this kid. helping is one thing but it does come to a point where it is going on deaf ears. kid---take a deep breath and truely realize that not all adults are out to screw you over.

captnsim

Looking at his myspace I'd say the money is their...just no love. I would guess his parents just buy him what ever he wants to keep him out of their hair.
And is the car his? Or his dad's and he is pulling our leg letting us believe it's his.
This is a case of no respect for the work required to acquire things and a lack of proper upbringing.
IE...Spoiled brat. 

mauve66

Quote from: captnsim on February 28, 2009, 11:18:21 AM
Looking at his myspace I'd say the money is their...just no love. I would guess his parents just buy him what ever he wants to keep him out of their hair.
And is the car his? Or his dad's and he is pulling our leg letting us believe it's his.
This is a case of no respect for the work required to acquire things and a lack of proper upbringing.
IE...Spoiled brat. 
Quote from: captnsim on February 28, 2009, 11:18:21 AM
IE...Spoiled brat. 

hey my kid resembles that.................. due to his mother of course :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Back N Black

You guys are making lots of assumptions on limited information. How did you come to the conclusion that his parents don't love him?  And they bought him the car to get him out of their hair.  So what if the car doesn't go back together perfect, at least he is trying to get it back on the road. Maybe later in life when he is more mature and more cash flow he will do it properly. At least he is not trying to restore a basket case rust bucket. I had a muscle car when I was 16 and my parents did not buy it for me and yes they paid attention to me. I worked a part-time job on the weekends to get the car on the road and enjoyed every minute of it and would not change the experience.  Its nice to see that he can keep this thread going even when he is not responding. I think a few of you guys miss slamming him.

1969chargerrtse

My thought has been from the beginning that I found him fresh and disrespectful.  My patients fall short with people like that.  Life is to short, go be angry elsewhere.  We don't have to try to save the world.  Charger or no Charger, If you don't act descent to others, please leave.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Sublime/Sixpack

One can stay away from this thread for a couple, three weeks, and when you come back to take a peak you realize nothing has really changed. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

captnsim

Quote from: Back N Black on February 28, 2009, 12:09:33 PM
You guys are making lots of assumptions on limited information. How did you come to the conclusion that his parents don't love him?  And they bought him the car to get him out of their hair.  So what if the car doesn't go back together perfect, at least he is trying to get it back on the road. Maybe later in life when he is more mature and more cash flow he will do it properly. At least he is not trying to restore a basket case rust bucket. I had a muscle car when I was 16 and my parents did not buy it for me and yes they paid attention to me. I worked a part-time job on the weekends to get the car on the road and enjoyed every minute of it and would not change the experience.  Its nice to see that he can keep this thread going even when he is not responding. I think a few of you guys miss slamming him.
1...By how he treats others. 2...By the boat, jeep, chainsaw, and charger...at 16?? 3...Alot of us here tried to help him and got nasty PM's or return posts. The bashing was by him and his reaction to advice he asked for.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on February 28, 2009, 12:40:55 PM
One can stay away from this thread for a couple, three weeks, and when you come back to take a peak you realize nothing has really changed. :Twocents:
Man you ain't kidding. Bad news from the start. Good Luck all. Bye bye.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Okay, for the bleeding hearts club......let's take a moment to get things clear.

Nobody knows if his parents love him or not, or whether they have money, etc., etc. That's irrelevant and probably shouldn't have been brought up.  Sure, many assumptions about his "project" and "abilities" have been made....but not on limited information.

Many of us tried to help him put his car back together. He asked us, we never asked him. In fact, the reason he asked is because he has nobody else to ask!!  That's how my assumption was made that he has no father figure, or responsible adult working with him to provide knowledge/assistance on this project. He admits getting his information from a non mopar mechanic. If we tell him the information is wrong (or there's a better way) - - he shits on us. 

You say who cares if the car doesn't go back together perfect? Well, I think he does, if he didn't care....why is he asking? Members won't give him intentional bad advise. In fact, many of us would rather see the car done properly. The reason is, there are too many poorly restored cars out there.

We care about bringing cars back to life, and doing things the right way for the sake of the hobby. Getting the car "back on the road", or "restored" are two very different things. He came on and said "he is restoring" this car. He didn't says he wanted to build a half-ass, cobbled together high school driver. If that was his objective, we'd be more willing to let his poorly executed attempts go unspoken and fewer people would care to rescue him from making mistakes.

Lastly, you make it sound like we love slamming him, just to keep this thread going when he's not responding. Troy said he banned the kid for two days.....not forever. Remember, he came to us with this attitude, was warned, and failed to change.  We didn't create the problem.

I hope you're not a bleeding heart to think any of us started this. I can't see how any of Ryan's action could be our fault?

Back N Black

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 28, 2009, 01:50:29 PM
Okay, for the bleeding hearts club......let's take a moment to get things clear.

Nobody knows if his parents love him or not, or whether they have money, etc., etc. That's irrelevant and probably shouldn't have been brought up.  Sure, many assumptions about his "project" and "abilities" have been made....but not on limited information.

Many of us tried to help him put his car back together. He asked us, we never asked him. In fact, the reason he asked is because he has nobody else to ask!!  That's how my assumption was made that he has no father figure, or responsible adult working with him to provide knowledge/assistance on this project. He admits getting his information from a non mopar mechanic. If we tell him the information is wrong (or there's a better way) - - he shits on us. 

You say who cares if the car doesn't go back together perfect? Well, I think he does, if he didn't care....why is he asking? Members won't give him intentional bad advise. In fact, many of us would rather see the car done properly. The reason is, there are too many poorly restored cars out there.

We care about bringing cars back to life, and doing things the right way for the sake of the hobby. Getting the car "back on the road", or "restored" are two very different things. He came on and said "he is restoring" this car. He didn't says he wanted to build a half-ass, cobbled together high school driver. If that was his objective, we'd be more willing to let his poorly executed attempts go unspoken and fewer people would care to rescue him from making mistakes.

Lastly, you make it sound like we love slamming him, just to keep this thread going when he's not responding. Troy said he banned the kid for two days.....not forever. Remember, he came to us with this attitude, was warned, and failed to change.  We didn't create the problem.

I hope you're not a bleeding heart to think any of us started this. I can't see how any of Ryan's action could be our fault?

You say "bleeding hearts" way too much.  :shruggy:

Foreman72

No its not our fault...i'm sure @ some point someone added fuel but i don't think it his arrogance was as a result of anyone here...yeah i think he just got excited...didn't do things right...like document his work so he would kno how 2 put stuff back...i don't really think his home situation or the like is 4 us 2 comment on... :Twocents:

but i mean...we all have/had 2 learn how 2 show respect and maybe this will help him learn how 2 show it...i kno there were times when i said dumb stuff but u gotta learn from it...i didn't think hes been learning....hope the car comes out alright/goes 2 someone who will restore it 2 the best it can b...its a rare car...

morral: don't think higher of yourself then u ought...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

426HemiCharger

Ryan,  :coolgleamA: Charger! I know you said not to read the first few pages then post, I DID.  It really sucks that many of the members bag and bag on you.  They just forget (most of the time) that they were 16 once.  I have always been told be my wise father the if someone is attacking you then their jealous (usually).  They where once 16, and they had to drive their Mom's compact to school, work and for a few years, they are calling out because the couldn't have a '69 Charger when they were as old as we are.  :2thumbs:

Nice work on the Charger, I'm restoring mine too. :icon_smile_big:

------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

rav440

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on March 01, 2009, 12:39:26 AM
Ryan,  :coolgleamA: Charger! I know you said not to read the first few pages then post, I DID.  It really sucks that many of the members bag and bag on you.  They just forget (most of the time) that they were 16 once.  I have always been told be my wise father the if someone is attacking you then their jealous (usually).  They where once 16, and they had to drive their Mom's compact to school, work and for a few years, they are calling out because the couldn't have a '69 Charger when they were as old as we are.  :2thumbs:

W ! T ! F ! are talking about ?  :shruggy: you may have read but you for danm sure didnt comprehend  :yesnod:
jealous  :slap: umyamk  :slap: how do you think all this came about ? alot of it anyway ?  :scratchchin: because the guys on here worked their tails off when they were kids and bought what was thought of as gas guzzling clunkers back in the 70s and 80s .
do you think every one on here waited till they were in their 30s & 40s to buy a MUSCLE car . if it wasnt for guys like us keeping this thing alive for the past 40 years you would be restoring a friggn YUGO for gods sake  :flame:
and the infomation that has been learned has been handed down and gained from hard work , respect , listening & learning .
not from you owe me this and that !!!  :flame:

QuoteThey where once 16, and they had to drive their Mom's compact to school, work and for a few years, they are calling out because the couldn't have a '69 Charger when they were as old as we are.  :2thumbs:

also stupid , that mommy & daddy crap didnt exist back then nor did many compacts for that matter . how do you think we got to school ? our choise was walk or take the bus !!! if you wanted to drive we get a job and buy our own danm car , and you had better have the money for insurance or else the car you bought sat till then .

mommy & daddy didnt buy us the CHARGERs , CUDAs , GTOs & CHEVELLEs and let us pay them back after we got a JOB
because they made us learn VALUE & RESPECT !!!!!!!!!!!

some of you kids got alot of learning to do !!!!!  :yesnod:

this is all that TIME OUT CRAP comming back to bite us in the A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Tilar

I have always been told be my wise father the if someone is attacking you then their jealous (usually).

Actually, If "they're" (Not their) attacking you it generally means you're doing something foolish and won't listen.

Quote from: rav440 on March 01, 2009, 05:21:57 AM

W ! T ! F ! are talking about ?  :shruggy: you may have read but you for danm sure didnt comprehend  :yesnod:
jealous  :slap: umyamk  :slap: how do you think all this came about ? alot of it anyway ?  :scratchchin: because the guys on here worked their tails off when they were kids and bought what was thought of as gas guzzling clunkers back in the 70s and 80s .
do you think every one on here waited till they were in their 30s & 40s to buy a MUSCLE car . if it wasnt for guys like us keeping this thing alive for the past 40 years you would be restoring a friggn YUGO for gods sake  :flame:
and the infomation that has been learned has been handed down and gained from hard work , respect , listening & learning .

QuoteThey where once 16, and they had to drive their Mom's compact to school, work and for a few years, they are calling out because the couldn't have a '69 Charger when they were as old as we are.  :2thumbs:

also stupid , that mommy & daddy crap didnt exist back then nor did many compacts for that matter . how do you think we got to school ? our choise was walk or take the bus !!! if you wanted to drive we get a job and buy our own danm car , and you had better have the money for insurance or else the car you bought sat till then .

mommy & daddy didnt buy us the CHARGERs , CUDAs , GTOs & CHEVELLEs and let us pay them back after we got a JOB

this is all that TIME OUT CRAP comming back to bite us in the A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

:iagree:  Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner.

I had to buy all mine, and I actually bought my first street legal car from my Dad for what he was offered trade in price on a new one. Paid him $600 cash back in 73.  And time outs? I never got one and neither did my boys. The method of punishment that my boys got was always handy around my waist.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger-Bodie

This thread is in warning of being locked......

The way this kid is building his car, nor the family situation he lives in have no direct impact on why he got banned.

He got banned for treating other people in a derogatory fashion, in this tread and MANY others. he also was harassing people via PM's That's not what this site is about. period

People cant join a site and mistreat others and expect it to be tolerated.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Tilar on March 01, 2009, 08:07:43 AM
I have always been told be my wise father the if someone is attacking you then their jealous (usually).

Actually, If "they're" (Not their) attacking you it generally means you're doing something foolish and won't listen.

Quote from: rav440 on March 01, 2009, 05:21:57 AM

:iagree:  Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner.

I had to buy all mine, and I actually bought my first street legal car from my Dad for what he was offered trade in price on a new one. Paid him $600 cash back in 73.  And time outs? I never got one and neither did my boys. The method of punishment that my boys got was always handy around my waist.
Before it gets locked.
Ding Ding. :iagree:

Daytona R/T SE

Here's my  :Twocents:

Back when I got my license (Feb '79)  I had to pay for everything myself.

I had to get a job, I was allowed to drive my Mom's old Impala to work, but not to school or anything else except maybe the occasional Saturday night date.

If I wanted my own car, I had to pay for it, license it, insure it and maintain/fix it myself.

After a while I saved up enough and bought my own car.

I soon found out I didn't know much about cars, except what I had read in Hot Rod.

Back then there was no internet, hell the phone wasn't even much good then.

For help on your cars you had to actually talk to someone face to face-either your father, older brother, the guy at the parts store, etc.

You didn't hide behind a keyboard and monitor then, you had to actually FACE someone.

Mostly my Friends and I got to know the older kids that were into the cars...Back then if you came off like a know-it-all little shit ass you got no help.

We also hung around the local service station (remember those?) and learned alot from the mechanic that worked there. Again, if you were a little shit ass you got no help and were told to leave.

If you were really a little know-it all like this Ryan kid and showed up all the time asking stupid questions, bragging how fast your car is, and generally being a pain in the butt- YOU GOT YOUR ASS KICKED!!!

The older guys just wouldn't put up with that shit.

Later most of us had gained a little knowledge and started hanging out around the local dirt track stock car guys. Some of us got lucky and were allowed to help out on some of the race cars. I was lucky enough to be on a pit crew for a few years back then. You really learned how to work on stuff then. We built it during the winter,raced it on the weekends in the summer, and fixed it when it broke-at the track, at home, hell sometimes on the trailer waiting to get in the pits on a Saturday afternoon.

Those stock car guys were all older than us, most of them with families and jobs, a bunch of hard working, tough no bullshit dudes...if you got out of line with them you

REALLY GOT YOUR ASS KICKED !!!

Back then you learned real quick to keep your yap shut, listen when someone told you something, be respectful to your elders, and always in the back of your mind you knew that smart-assed little know-it-alls

GET THEIR ASSES KICKED !!!

Just my  :Twocents: :spank: :nutkick:

TUFCAT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 01, 2009, 10:07:32 AM
Here's my  :Twocents:

Back when I got my license (Feb '79)  I had to pay for everything myself.

I had to get a job, I was allowed to drive my Mom's old Impala to work, but not to school or anything else except maybe the occasional Saturday night date.

If I wanted my own car, I had to pay for it, license it, insure it and maintain/fix it myself.

After a while I saved up enough and bought my own car.

I soon found out I didn't know much about cars, except what I had read in Hot Rod.

Back then there was no internet, hell the phone wasn't even much good then.

For help on your cars you had to actually talk to someone face to face-either your father, older brother, the guy at the parts store, etc.

You didn't hide behind a keyboard and monitor then, you had to actually FACE someone.

Mostly my Friends and I got to know the older kids that were into the cars...Back then if you came off like a know-it-all little shit ass you got no help.

We also hung around the local service station (remember those?) and learned alot from the mechanic that worked there. Again, if you were a little shit ass you got no help and were told to leave.

If you were really a little know-it all like this Ryan kid and showed up all the time asking stupid questions, bragging how fast your car is, and generally being a pain in the butt- YOU GOT YOUR ASS KICKED!!!

The older guys just wouldn't put up with that shit.

Later most of us had gained a little knowledge and started hanging out around the local dirt track stock car guys. Some of us got lucky and were allowed to help out on some of the race cars. I was lucky enough to be on a pit crew for a few years back then. You really learned how to work on stuff then. We built it during the winter,raced it on the weekends in the summer, and fixed it when it broke-at the track, at home, hell sometimes on the trailer waiting to get in the pits on a Saturday afternoon.

Those stock car guys were all older than us, most of them with families and jobs, a bunch of hard working, tough no bullshit dudes...if you got out of line with them you

REALLY GOT YOUR ASS KICKED !!!

Back then you learned real quick to keep your yap shut, listen when someone told you something, be respectful to your elders, and always in the back of your mind you knew that smart-assed little know-it-alls

GET THEIR ASSES KICKED !!!

You could write a column for USA Today.  :cheers:

rav440

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 01, 2009, 09:13:02 AM
This thread is in warning of being locked......

The way this kid is building his car, nor the family situation he lives in have no direct impact on why he got banned.

He got banned for treating other people in a derogatory fashion, in this tread and MANY others. he also was harassing people via PM's That's not what this site is about. period

People cant join a site and mistreat others and expect it to be tolerated.

i dont want this thread to get locked . but some of the kids on here need to know how things were and should be .
one thing i cant stand is this gimmie generation !
if you want something earn it . just like the rest of us did .  :flame:

General_01

Saying that you had a car when you were 16 is a comment that needs to be set in some kind of context.

If you were 16 in 1980 and you had a Charger is totally different than if your were 16 in 2005 and you had a Charger.

In 1980, these were used cars, probably not a total rust bucket, most likely running with 50,000 miles that probably cost $700-$1500. These were just cheap forms of year round transporatation. These were todays version of a early-90's Beretta or something.  

In 2005, these are classic cars that ran $2500 for a rolling shell with no motor, tranny and in need of body work. Not a daily transportation vehicle that will be driven year round. If you got a driver, you still wouldn't drive it in the winter, so now you need a SECOND car at 16. We were lucky to have the one car at 16.

Soooooo,.....

Trying to make the argument that it is OK for a kid to have one of these cars at 16 because someone else had one when they were 16 in 1980 is not comparing apples to apples. I am not saying that you can't have a Charger at 16 today, but it is totally different then owning a Charger at 16 back in the day.

I think this is the point most of us old timers are trying to make. We are not jealous because you have one at 16. We just think that if you do you should understand how LUCKY you really are and have the proper humility to understand that it is a PRIVLEDGE to own a classic car, not a RIGHT. I also think that if you are going to ask for advise, you need to be ready to hear it.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

rav440

Quote from: General_01 on March 01, 2009, 10:30:14 AM
Saying that you had a car when you were 16 is a comment that needs to be set in some kind of context.

If you were 16 in 1980 and you had a Charger is totally different than if your were 16 in 2005 and you had a Charger.

In 1980, these were used cars, probably not a total rust bucket, most likely running with 50,000 miles that probably cost $700-$1500. These were just cheap forms of year round transporatation. These were todays version of a early-90's Beretta or something.  

In 2005, these are classic cars that ran $2500 for a rolling shell with no motor, tranny and in need of body work. Not a daily transportation vehicle that will be driven year round. If you got a driver, you still wouldn't drive it in the winter, so now you need a SECOND car at 16. We were lucky to have the one car at 16.

Soooooo,.....

Trying to make the argument that it is OK for a kid to have one of these cars at 16 because someone else had one when they were 16 in 1980 is not comparing apples to apples. I am not saying that you can't have a Charger at 16 today, but it is totally different then owning a Charger at 16 back in the day.

I think this is the point most of us old timers are trying to make. We are not jealous because you have one at 16. We just think that if you do you should understand how LUCKY you really are and have the proper humility to understand that it is a PRIVLEDGE to own a classic car, not a RIGHT. I also think that if you are going to ask for advise, you need to be ready to hear it.

:cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:

426HemiCharger

Judging from all the replies I think I made some sparks fly.

If you really think this kid is bad then that is you but don't hate on me or my generation for that matter because of a small group of people.  :2thumbs:
Don't attack me I have not done anything bad.  I am "earning my stripes" I have a Charger - I am restoring it, I know alot and I have learned alot. I was just putting in my  :Twocents: of a logical explination, but not the only one. :yesnod:
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)