News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car (re-named from my parents....)

Started by 500hp_440, January 03, 2009, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: tan top on January 06, 2009, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on January 06, 2009, 02:00:11 PM
Quote from: tan top on January 06, 2009, 01:40:25 PM
check this video out , the car is a real 69 R/T SE  , its not that cut up either , there has been a thread on it over on moparts , but i can't use their damn search thingy  :rotz:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y4vjllW0rjY

Thats ok tan top, nobody understands the search function on moparts...

:2thumbs:     glad i'm not the only one  , thought it was time for me to take a ride :shortbus:    :lol:

found  it   :icon_smile_blackeye:   car runs in the eights :yesnod:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4846630&an=0&page=1&gonew=1
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Wow, I go to bed at night and in the am I'm stuck reading 3 more pages.  I think when you guys realize the real reason he is so determend to point out his engine is 500hp is for the simple reason that if he finds out it is not, he has to change his site name. :hah:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Foreman72

and i have finally finished reading that...very nice...the reason he racks up his posts is cuz he does them one @ a time...whatever...welcome dude...i'm 17 and i've got a 72...keep us posted on how things go...i never ever thought i'd see or hear of yellow and green man...should look cool

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 07, 2009, 06:28:56 AM
Wow, I go to bed at night and in the am I'm stuck reading 3 more pages.  I think when you guys realize the real reason he is so determined to point out his engine is 500hp is for the simple reason that if he finds out it is not, he has to change his site name. :hah:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: maybe he'll just round up... :lol:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Brock Samson

Some guys will hot rod - drag race and modify their cars in their youth and then at a later date restore them to original, I've heard about several cases where the cars were restored to their showroom glory after a couple or a few decades even as a hard driven drag car,.. I'd say at Ryan's age that is a pretty probable scenario... senareo sinareo,.. what ever...  :shruggy:
In about ten years or twenty for sure If you don't lose the car - you may very well think back to these times and go...
"I wish I knew then what I know now"... & BTW Ryan-  as someone helpfully pointed out up above or way back there somewhere,.. torque is a more critical specification then the Horse Power Number,.. my 440 which has been bored out 30 over actually making it a 446 C.I. motor - was dynoed on the engine stand at 503 H.P with 510 Lbs. of torque, I had to upgrade the Wheels Tires and Transmission which cost an additional $2,500. cause all it would do was spin the tires, point being everything needs to work in concert to put the power to the ground or it' just goes up in rubber smoke.
Since it's inital instalation in the car my motor has been still modified further with the addition of a weiland stealth manifold and Holly Street Avenger Carb. still the rear wheel H.P. and Torque figures are significantly lower then the numbers at the flywheel suggest...
It looks like crap but runs quite consistant without any attention.

Charger74

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 06, 2009, 10:30:47 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 06, 2009, 09:50:20 PM
You should do a Daytona clone :)
Naw, if i were todo that it'd be a 440 Hemi (which i want to do one day) and a 5 speed viper transmition :drive:

There is no such thing as a 440 Hemi. And it's TRANSMISSION. :slap:

Try again bronzy,  Arrington Motors has just released a 3G 440 Hemi motor to the masses.

http://www.arringtonengines.com/p-1025-440-hemi-crate-engine-by-arrington-engines.aspx

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Charger74 on January 07, 2009, 01:09:19 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 06, 2009, 10:30:47 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 06, 2009, 09:50:20 PM
You should do a Daytona clone :)
Naw, if i were todo that it'd be a 440 Hemi (which i want to do one day) and a 5 speed viper transmition :drive:

There is no such thing as a 440 Hemi. And it's TRANSMISSION. :slap:

Try again bronzy,  Arrington Motors has just released a 3G 440 Hemi motor to the masses.

http://www.arringtonengines.com/p-1025-440-hemi-crate-engine-by-arrington-engines.aspx

Didn't know that. I assume he meant factory engines. :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bordin34

Brock, do you have a thread somewhere about your engine build?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

moparstuart

years ago stage V made hemi heads to bolt on a 440.  Not sure how they preformed but it was a cheaper way to get the Hemi look with a wedge.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1969_chrysler_newport_440_block_conversion/index.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Topher

Quote from: moparstuart on January 07, 2009, 03:10:57 PM
years ago stage IV made hemi heads to bolt on a 440.  Not sure how they preformed but it was a cheaper way to get the Hemi look with a wedge.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1969_chrysler_newport_440_block_conversion/index.html

It cost almost as much as an over the counter Hemi now to do the conversion. I don't think the heads are even available any longer, you have to find used ones. An OTC 426 is just 13k, and after buying the heads and machine work, special gaskets, and other doo dads it ran the cost over 9k. That was a few years ago.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

500hp_440

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 07, 2009, 06:28:56 AM
Wow, I go to bed at night and in the am I'm stuck reading 3 more pages.  I think when you guys realize the real reason he is so determend to point out his engine is 500hp is for the simple reason that if he finds out it is not, he has to change his site name. :hah:
no i will make her do 500 and if it goes over 500 then well, i guess i'll just have to live with it being wrong  ::)
Let it alone^.

Brock Samson

Quote from: bordin34 on January 07, 2009, 02:51:08 PM
Brock, do you have a thread somewhere about your engine build?

No, I don't but The short story is - I bought it from an ex-drag racer who prefered the max-wedges he had run prior to the '69 super bee this original Six Pack came from... He assured me the short block Motor ran fine (Short Block means there was no transmission you  newbies) it was also missing the Top End Manifold and Carbs and various externals but had the engine dress up chromed covers I so seldom see but I really like myself...  anyhow - there was actually a ground up piston in the oil pan. As planned prior, I had it rebuilt by a Fremont Calif. shop known for building Pro Stock "Mountain Motors" I told the Owner of the shop I wanted a "tractable Street Light Bandit" and he obliged...  :yesnod:
Somewhere in the other room is a folder with all the receipts, it's basicly a balanced and blueprinted 440 Six Pack bored 30 over a five angle port and polish with stock six-pack rods and cam... there's a few other tweaks like a Hemi Pan and such,.. MSD 6L Billett distributor and the TTI three inch exhaust with crossover... a typical late '90s build that cost me a total of $8K to get in the car Including the 26" Rad. which I had to buy new.
BTW: I also speced out a HEMI prior to going with my Six Pack but the prices (mid '90s) totaled $13 K uninstalled. It's fine as a Six Pack was my first choice anyway...
When it made those 503/510 Dyno numbers it had an old leaky Carb from a LS-6 454 '70 Chevelle.
after driving it Hard for a decade now with this set up, I'm still perfectly happy with it and It's never let me down.  :rotz:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: tommymac on January 07, 2009, 12:46:03 AM
I twined mine to the motor vac and hooked it to a switch so I dont have to run it all the time ,Its noisy.How many Inches of vac are you making on motor only?

I just tell everyone it's an electric fuel pump and they always nod their head in approval.  :yesnod:

tommymac

RD

your trans number of 3681191 does not correlate with any numbers that i know of... could you please relook at the PK # so i can verify exactly what your transmission came out of... this way, it will (1) satisfy my curiousity and (2) possibly give you an idea of the internal components.

congrats on the car, great opportunity to enjoy the hobby.  good luck on your build and dont be afraid to ask questions regarding certain aspects.  my advice, remember that you don't know everything, and only then will you be able to learn much.

take care.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bull

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 04:15:37 PM
I have a radiator question, mine needs a core I was quoted $300 and change or Yearone :eek2: a new one for $350 (not sure how much the price went up) or $500 recore, should i recore it or is there somewhere i can get a good cheap radiator for it?

If you have an original 69 radiator it will probably cost in the $250-$350 range to have it rebuilt. I would suggest when you have it rebuilt that you have a larger capacity core put in, something with three rows or four rows. All the better if they can do four. If you ended up with a 68 radiator along with the 68 motor you've likely got yourself a bucket-header radiator and those cost in the $450-$550 range to rebuild if you can find someone to do it. And as far as I know those can only be rebuilt with a three-row core. Most likely you've got a 69 radiator by the price you were quoted. At any rate, take down the numbers and see if you've even got a Charger radiator. You can reference the numbers here: http://www.mymopar.com/radiatorspecs.htm or here: http://www.mopar1.us/radiator.txt

It should be one of the following:
2949053   1969   B   22"
2949054   1969   B   26"
2949055   1969   B   26"

I'd definitely check the numbers first before you do anything. I stumbled upon a 26" Mopar radiator for $100 that I thought was for a big block but it turned out it was for a small block... the ones that come stock in the 1970 AAR Cudas an TA Challengers. :icon_smile_big: I did nothing with it but box it up and sell it on Ebay for $475. :2thumbs:

Tilar

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 06, 2009, 10:23:02 PM
please stop questioning my hp, im not mad at you i would to but heres the deal
i was told 375 stock power then the old owner (not the seller) 3 months after i bought the car and he said 500horse power
not a sales pitch at all
but im doing what needs done now such and cooling, brakes and fuel

Just curious, You seperated "The old owner" and "The seller", so did you buy the car from "The old owner" or did you buy it from someone else?

Reason I asked is this may explain why it has a different engine.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

He pointed out it had a different engine early on.  Some of this was kind of hard to follow but all we were trying to do was identify the engine as much as we could knowing it wasn't the original one to the car.

Tilar

I saw that. What ran through my mind was maybe the "Old Owner" that he talked to may have really built up the original engine that came in the car and then sold it to someone else who may have swapped the engine out with an original 375hp 440 (which is no slouch) and kept the original 500hp engine. That would explain why the "Old Owner" said it was a 500hp engine (thinking it was still in the car) and the "Seller" saying it was 375.  I'm more or less just thinking outloud.
Dave  

Ghoste

Ahhhh, now I follow you.  I had to read it a few times before it sunk in but I get it now. :icon_smile_blackeye:

500hp_440

Quote from: Tilar on January 08, 2009, 12:32:57 PM
i was told 375 stock power then the old owner (not the seller) 3 months after i bought the car and he said 500horse power
not a sales pitch at all

Just curious, You seperated "The old owner" and "The seller", so did you buy the car from "The old owner" or did you buy it from someone else?

finally a differnt question about the engine  :yesnod:
i bought my car from a guy named anthony in hollywood,  and i had to go to miam (i went 3months after i bought it) to find ralph who had the title in his name since 98 and it all went smooth but so far i know this car went from ralph (sold it and never signed the title, sold it to his freind dave whoe sold it to his freind anthony, who sold it to me
Let it alone^.

bull

Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 08, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
not a sales pitch at all

i bought my car from a guy named anthony in hollywood,  and i had to go to miam (i went 3months after i bought it) to find ralph who had the title in his name since 98 and it all went smooth but so far i know this car went from ralph (sold it and never signed the title, sold it to his freind dave whoe sold it to his freind anthony, who sold it to me

You know, you could just explain yourself the first time instead of being vague and allowing page after page of speculation to unfold as you wait for what you consider to be a properly-worded question. ;)

Rolling_Thunder

I almost got a 1970 R/T SE 440+6 4-speed Charger when I was 15 but my parents refused...    "You'll kill yourself" - and you know what ?  with many years of maturity later I realized they would have been right...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Arizona Dave

Quote from: bull on January 08, 2009, 11:03:19 PM
Quote from: 500hp_440 on January 08, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
not a sales pitch at all

You know, you could just explain yourself the first time instead of being vague and allowing page after page of speculation to unfold as you wait for what you consider to be a properly-worded question. ;)

I don't think he knows any better.  :moon: :2guns: :moon:
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 09, 2009, 05:03:02 AM
I almost got a 1970 R/T SE 440+6 4-speed Charger when I was 15 but my parents refused...    "You'll kill yourself" - and you know what ?  with many years of maturity later I realized they would have been right...   
When I think of the way he first talked about speed, and wheelies.  It reminded me of the poor soul on the BMW site that talked the same way on his Bimmer site then the next night ended up wrapping the car and his friends around a tree.  That was sad and shocking to see his post, and then they were gone.  FL also, correct?  You're young and have many years to go.  Take it slow my friend.  Then of course there are always race tracks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Tilar

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 06:23:25 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 09, 2009, 05:03:02 AM
When I think of the way he first talked about speed, and wheelies.  It reminded me of the poor sole on the BMW sit that talked the same way on his Bimmer site then the next night ended up wrapping the car and his friends around a tree.  That was sad and shocking to see his post, and then they were gone.  FL also, correct?  You're young and have many years to go.  Take it slow my friend.  Then of course there are always race tracks.

I remember when that happened. What a waste of a young life.  :'(
Dave