News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning Torque Thrust Wheels

Started by bearbqd, January 03, 2009, 08:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearbqd

Hey guys, got a question. I noticed in the owners pics sections that a lot of you have torque thrust wheels. I have a new set myself. My Charger is pretty much a daily driver so the car gets dirty. When I try to clean stains of dirt on the magnesium part of the wheel, I can't get them clean. Do any of you have any secret cleaners that get the inner part of the wheel clean?  Regular car wash soap with a brush ain't doing it. Thanks for any help.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

wordslikebullets

One of the best products is Meguiars Mag and Aluminum Polish.  It is really easy to use and has gotten me some of the highest gloss that I have seen.  Its really easy to use, you get a terry cloth towel rub it into the surface and this should pull black on your towel.  The Black that you see is the slight removal of the surface.  You want to see this or you will know your wheel are bare metal.

When you have Stains, scratches, or dullness on even old wheels(like some of the old slots) a good Aluminum Polish and some elbow grease will have your wheel looking better that the guys next to you at the next cruise or car show.  Work on one wheel at a time and do not rush.

Also some of the parts like the kick plate, and some of the other trim can be used with this.  If it is Chrome and you use an Aluminum it will not improve it because Chrome is soooooo hard but it will also not hurt it either.  Hope this helps...

Here is a great link to help better understand what it means to remove a scratch or etching out of anything...  http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7228 
I Love Chargers Yes I Do....I love Charger How Bout You

mikepmcs

can't use that stuff on torque thrust wheels, well maybe the outside of the rim if it's not coated which i'm almost positive it is.  I agree though,  mothers/meguiars/eagle is good stuff for their specified applications. :2thumbs:

bear, what about trying a concentrated formula of simple green, a scrub brush and some warm water.  I bet that would help.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

wordslikebullets

Your right I was thinking of the all polished ones.  These Torq Thrusts are painted so that makes it a bit harder. 
I Love Chargers Yes I Do....I love Charger How Bout You

bearbqd

They're painted and grainy. Nothing I have used works so far.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

mikepmcs

I have the same wheels on my coronet, the warm soapy simple scrubby method works on my wheels.  Post up some pics so I can see what the heck you got on your wheels.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bearbqd

I will when its more than a few degrees outside. Yes, unfortunately he lives outside. The showcar Cuda gets to sleep in the garage. I think what I can't get off is just brake dust that got wet and made streaks.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Silver R/T

I had them on my truck. Tried to clean them a couple of times with no success, they're just too hard to clean and maintain.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bearbqd

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 22, 2009, 02:17:31 PM
I had them on my truck. Tried to clean them a couple of times with no success, they're just too hard to clean and maintain.
Great, that's not what I wanted to hear.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Scaregrabber

If you drive it a lot I would paint the centres of the wheels. Polishing the outer part only takes a few minutes maybe once a month but I have always found it hard to keep the raw aluminum in the centre clean, if you paint the centre it will be an easy job to wash it.

Sheldon

oldcarnut

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 19, 2009, 07:41:00 PM
bear, what about trying a concentrated formula of simple green, a scrub brush and some warm water.  I bet that would help.
To be on the safe side whatever you use, read the label and test it on a small area first.  Can't speak for simple green but I used some Greased Lightning cleaner without checking first and it stained/dulled the alum slots and I had to re-polish them.  After reading, it had the warning not to use on painted or alum finishes  :slap:.  I've used scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner on a lot of interior and misc parts as long as it wasn't brass or acrylic and it worked good for me but I always tested it first.

bearbqd

Quote from: Scaregrabber on January 24, 2009, 09:59:32 PM
If you drive it a lot I would paint the centres of the wheels. Polishing the outer part only takes a few minutes maybe once a month but I have always found it hard to keep the raw aluminum in the centre clean, if you paint the centre it will be an easy job to wash it.

Sheldon
Not sure I understand because, well, they are painted. They come factory painted grey. Its just the grainy texture I think that makes it hard to clean.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

Sublime/Sixpack

If a good cleaning doesn't do the job, you may have to prep and repaint.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

John_Kunkel

I think a phone call to American Racing Equipment would be wise, since the wheels predate most cars they should be able to tell you what to use/not use to clean them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

472 R/T SE

I use I think it's a magnesium cleaner made by Meguiar's.  It dulls the aluminum but makes cleaning the center easy.  I use the tire brush and then use the Mother's paste to buff out the outer ring. 
I also use masking tape to mask off the center before the Mother's to keep the paste from blackening the center.  Usually I pull the wheels off a couple times a summer to do the insides as well.