News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strokers?

Started by Harlow, December 31, 2008, 09:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I was reading up a 383 stroker build. They used the crank from a 413 which brought the 383 to 432 cubes. Besides the added displacement does a stroker offer any other pluses? Since 432 is almost the same displacement as a 440 does it offer anything that a 440 doesn't?

Ghoste

In the low deck, it offers a much lighter reciprocating assembly so it will rev quicker and last longer (theoretically). 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on January 01, 2009, 12:40:25 AM
In the low deck, it offers a much lighter reciprocating assembly so it will rev quicker and last longer (theoretically). 

Agreed....lighter rotating mass and the added bonus of a more compact engine assembly. This is more of an issue for a-body guys trying to stuff big blocks under the hood where space is at a premium.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

If I was starting with a 383 I would go with a 496 kit!  :2thumbs:

General_01

Quote from: terrible one on January 01, 2009, 11:38:46 PM

If I was starting with a 383 I would go with a 496 kit!  :2thumbs:

That's what I did! :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

375instroke

I've seen a few tests on bore/stroke ratios with the same displacement.  There wasn't much difference.  Less weight makes the biggest difference.  The weight of the crank and big end of the rod must be accelerated to thousands of RPM, and the weight of the pistons, rings, and rods must accelerate, stop, and change direction hundreds of times a second.  That uses up energy that could go to the tires.  Many like the idea of a long rod and high rod ratio, but in practice, this doesn't appear to be important as far as power production is concerned.  It may be a factor in longevity in a 100,000 mile plus motor, but most newly designed motors are using hockey puck pistons and thin piston rings, so not all earlier thoughts on engine design for longevity have panned out.  A bigger bore allows larger valves and less valve shrouding, which may be beneficial if the rest of the package is built to take advantage of it.  As for more displacement, the max horsepower doesn't usually increase, all else being equal.  It does shift the power curve lower.  This gives more torque, and a better street car, if you can get the power to the ground.  If you want more power, you need bigger heads, bigger cam, bigger carb, and all that stuff moves the power up in RPM.  This requires a higher stall and lower gears.  This is unfavorable on the street, but increase displacement too, and you get the best of everything.

westcoastdodge

will a 440 crank fit into a 383 :shruggy:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

General_01

Quote from: ray on January 04, 2009, 01:37:26 PM
will a 440 crank fit into a 383 :shruggy:

It won't drop right in. The mains would have to be turned down to the 383 main journal size. You would probably need different rods too. I am guessing the stock rods would be to long with the added stroke of the crank.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

mikesbbody

The 440 crank into the 383 is the "old school" way of stroking imo, with all the kits now offered much easier to buy something everything is there, no guess work etc.  :Twocents: