News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

split mono leaf springs=awesome

Started by SFRT, December 31, 2008, 01:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

yes yes yes..in the spirit of not being able to pass a day without dicking around with the car I replaced my stock SS springs with a set of 1" over Caltracs  split mono leafs. ( I am running Comp Engineering bars and QA1 shocks). all the 'truck-like' bouncing and wheel hopping is gone baby gone and it rides smooth like butter and hooks up swift and sure. Took it out for a nightime spin on various smooth and crapped out streets ( we specialize in potholes here) and it rides a million...no make that  a TRILLION times better.

no pix as it is a dark and foggy night zI will take one or two crummy phone pics tommorrow.

only hassle I had was i had to turn a set of aluminum bushings on my lathe as the Caltracs ones had the wrong size hole
for the Comp Engineering bolt sleeve dealies...turned em, pressed out the CC ones pressed in the new ones and the rest bolted right up easy as pie.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

That's great.  Tuning that thing on the dyno won't matter much if you can't put it to the ground.  (BTW, I'll put Detroit potholes up against yours any day.  ;) )

SFRT

I always fantasize about buying a bunch of houses there and building a compound.

Always Drive Responsibly

CB

I didn't have to wait too long before you got to switch those springs and got your feedback on those :2thumbs:

What does it do to the stance of the scow?
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Arizona Dave

What are split mono leaf springs?  I look forward to seeing some pics.  How do they give better traction? 
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

CB

Quote from: Arizona Dave on December 31, 2008, 04:04:30 AM
What are split mono leaf springs?  I look forward to seeing some pics.  How do they give better traction? 

Mancini Racing:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/catrbarsy1.html

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Arizona Dave

Quote from: CB on December 31, 2008, 04:11:37 AM
Quote from: Arizona Dave on December 31, 2008, 04:04:30 AM

Mancini Racing:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/catrbarsy1.html

That's awesome.  I read the description and I like it.  I'll pick some up when I get to that point of my 69 R/T build.   Thanks CB
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

Hemidoug

Boy do they hook! Congrats on your purchase! You'll love 'em....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

CB

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 31, 2008, 07:44:42 AM

Maybe a stupid question, but does it mean that you will or need to abuse the drive train when you force to do a burnout?
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Another dumb question: why aluminum bushings in front and poly in back?

firefighter3931

SS springs don't work well with Caltracs/Slide-a-link type traction systems so it's no surprise that you were experiencing wheel hop and traction issues.  ;)

The front segements on the SS springs are too stiff and fight against the traction aids (caltrac/slidealinc) creating wheelhop. The split monoleafs use a softer springrate which improves ride comfort as you've discovered.  :yesnod:

The only downside is that burnouts will no require more effort  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on December 31, 2008, 08:13:18 AM
Another dumb question: why aluminum bushings in front and poly in back?

The alum front eye bushings eliminate spring deflection which improves traction.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WingCharger

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 31, 2008, 07:44:42 AM
Hemidoug, the rear suspension setup in your car is the exact same I want to do to my car in the future. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
IT IS AWESOME!! :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 31, 2008, 08:28:59 AMThe only downside is that burnouts will no require more effort  :lol:
Ron

Time for a Line Lock.  :D

SFRT

Quote from: Ghoste on December 31, 2008, 11:48:10 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 31, 2008, 08:28:59 AMThe only downside is that burnouts will no require more effort  :lol:
Ron

Time for a Line Lock.  :D
....it just so happens.....i have a Moroso unit....sounds like a good project for this weekend....
Always Drive Responsibly

Mopar2Ya

The monoleafs aren't recommended for street use right? How do they fair when cornering?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

SFRT

I took em out for a spin last night and then again this morning, actually drove down the 'curvy' street near my house they felt great.
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

ok so heres some super crappy phone pix of the setup

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

I also today polished up and stuck on these nifty old off-brand valve covers

thy look pretty cool i think....
Always Drive Responsibly

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mikepmcs

Agreed, very cool. O0

Quote from: Ghoste on December 31, 2008, 01:49:01 AM
(BTW, I'll put Detroit potholes up against yours any day.  ;) )

I'd like to throw Maine in that mix too.  The road that leads to my house hasn't been worked for the entire 12 years I've been here.  Why exactly do I pay small town taxes???
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

SFRT

as far as i can tell our city taxes here all go to building super elaborate 'community centers' for homeless transgendered junkies.
Always Drive Responsibly

mikepmcs

Quote from: SFRT on January 03, 2009, 07:38:38 PM
as far as i can tell our city taxes here all go to building super elaborate 'community centers' for homeless transgendered junkies.

:rofl:

Maine ain't far behind brother.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Blakcharger440

Hey, SFRT

What type of rear disc brakes are you running?

Quote from: SFRT on January 03, 2009, 07:21:09 PM
ok so heres some super crappy phone pix of the setup

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

six-tee-nine

Hey SFRT,

When you gonna show us some of these from your beast?

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

SFRT

yes..one of these weekends I need to get a video camera and get out of the city, maybe go up to Marin and find some empty road and make a little video. That pic is pretty damn impressive I dont know if my car can leave such a trail but I will try.

Always Drive Responsibly

Brock Samson

SFRT

dude we could film us 'drag racing'!
Always Drive Responsibly

GreenMachine

I read the Mancini description which says they're available in any ride height. Does that mean they are adjustable, or do you specify ride height when ordering?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

SFRT

I ordered from Caltracs direct and they had a questionnaire of car, weight, HP, gear ratio, rear end size,inboard or stock position etc etc. then they ask what under or over arch you might want etc. very comprehensive. then they send you the correct springs for the info you gave them.
Always Drive Responsibly

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.