News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which key is correct

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, December 29, 2008, 09:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I have a Dec 67 built 68 Charger and need to confirm which shape key came with the car when it was new.

The small head key for the ignition or the larger more sqaure shape for the ignition?

Thanks,

Nacho-RT74

round for trunk...penta for doors and ignition
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 30, 2008, 02:18:34 AM
round for trunk...penta for doors and ignition

I have a penta for the ignition and also a sorta square shape key that has the pentastar on it too for the ignition. I am trying to get a set of keys for both the ignition and trunk that both have the pentastar on them and are correct for a 68 Charger. When I bought the car I had remakes of each keys and they were as you describe relative to shape. The more square key I was told was for 68 and earlier cars and the penta shape for 69 and later. Any truth to that?

Thanks

Ghoste

Some truth but I think we determined on here once before that the change from square to penta on ignition keys happened part way through the 68 model year.  The gist of the question is that if that is true, what was the date of the changeover?  Sorry, but I can't answer.

Dennis K

My 68 has a SPD of Dec. 15, 1967, was built in Hamtramck and has the larger square-looking key.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Dennis K on December 30, 2008, 10:36:33 AM
My 68 has a SPD of Dec. 15, 1967, was built in Hamtramck and has the larger square-looking key.

My car has a SPD of Dec 21, 1967, was built in Hamtramck. I would venture to say that the square key is correct for my car but the square key will not unlock the door from the outside door lock. Maybe just the key cut?? The Ace hardware keys that I have that are penta shaped will open the door. I will just keep both on the key chain.

Thanks,
:2thumbs:

john108

I am the Original Owner of my '68 Charger and the photo shows my original keys.
I bought it in May 1968 but I think it was built in late 1967.  I forgot how to find the build date.

Ghoste

Check your fender tag on the bottom row, second from the right.  There should be a three digit number there and this corresponds to the scheduled build date of the car.

john108

Ghoste

john108

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: john108 on January 01, 2009, 02:22:57 AM
I am the Original Owner of my '68 Charger and the photo shows my original keys.
I bought it in May 1968 but I think it was built in late 1967.  I forgot how to find the build date.

Great picture thanks John.

My car was scheduled to be built December 21, 1967 so yours was a bit ahead of mine.

Ghoste

The pic is helpful more than you know.  Your trunk key being original amswers part of a question I've been trying to get to with my 67.  I have the same square shpaed ignition key but my trunk I believe is a one year only deal.  In the past I've been told it should be the same as the 68's but now I know that isn't the case.  :icon_smile_big:
Which is good to know but now I have to try and an NOS 67 trunk blank.  :eek2: :brickwall: