News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driveshaft choice

Started by Belgium R/T -68, December 29, 2008, 03:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Anything special to think about when choosing driveshaft for my strokerCharger? Steel or aluminium? thickness? :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

gordo1968charger

when i fitted my gear vendor i needed a shaft making,i was going to go with a strange one BUT I GOT IMPATIENT,living in the uk plus the turnaround time postage time etc was going to take 6 weeks,i just took the slip yoke to team valley commercial propshafts with my measurements dropped it off at 5pm,he rang me the next day at 10am to say i could pick it up!!!!!!
think it was£150,including him fitting and supplying the 1350 yoke on the end.
great service.
it was just steel,no complaints at all.
SHAME I CAN T MEASURE FOR SHIT THOUGH AND I HAD TO TAKE IT BACK TO GET ANOTHER 10MM SHAVED OFF AND REBALANCED,BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY ALTOGETHER!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

RDR838

My  :Twocents:: If you don't have fiberglass fenders you don't need an aluminium driveshaft. Your car is for the street, not only for the strip, right?

I bought mine at dennysdriveshaft.com - very nice people, service is awesome, they answer emails very patiently same as phonecalls. And they ship overseas.

I think with the 500" motor you should be fine with the 3.5" driveshaft, but the 'nitrous ready' 3.5" is only 65$ more.

Cheers!

RDR838

Belgium R/T -68

Cheers RDR, otherwise then aluminium looks nicer I guess I will be fine with steel then. ;)
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

oldschool

i use an aluminium driveshaft with 1350 spicer u joints in both of my chargers.they both make over 700 hp. if i did not have a driveshaft and was buying new,i would buy an aluminium one. the cost is very close :Twocents:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Rob R

I tried a 4" alum shaft for my GTX...3800 lbs.. 4 spd.. 830 hp and 800 ft lbs didn't last a week before my car developed a vibration.
I thought it was a bent wheel or bad brg because the shaft was new and all I ever did was stand on it from a roll in 3rd gear a couple of times...It twisted about 2" just enough to cause the rear view mirror to shake...I'd stay away from alum you don't save any weight that would make any real difference compared to a moly shaft.IMHO

suntech

Quotetried a 4" alum shaft for my GTX...3800 lbs.. 4 spd.. 830 hp and 800 ft lbs didn't last a week before my car developed a vibration.

What brand was this???
I am planning on going that road, possibly carbon fibre.  :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

oldschool

Quote from: Rob R on December 29, 2008, 03:24:16 PM
I tried a 4" alum shaft for my GTX...3800 lbs.. 4 spd.. 830 hp and 800 ft lbs didn't last a week before my car developed a vibration.
I thought it was a bent wheel or bad brg because the shaft was new and all I ever did was stand on it from a roll in 3rd gear a couple of times...It twisted about 2" just enough to cause the rear view mirror to shake...I'd stay away from alum you don't save any weight that would make any real difference compared to a moly shaft.IMHO

my 70 charger is 3800 lbs with a 4 sp and a 572" motor with 840 hp. it has had an aluminium shaft for the last 10 years.i have beat the hell out of the car too,and have been lucky so far.i have broke MANY yokes on steel shafts.that is what made me try the aluminium shaft.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

suntech

I was planning on 4 inch Mark Williams aluminum, og 3,75 MW Carbon fibre. (611 hemi/T-56) :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

4aThrill

I was told this once; with a aluminum drive shaft the trans or the rear gears will go first before the drive shaft.
now with a steel drive shaft well that would usually go first before anything else, :Twocents: just make sure you will put a drive shaft loop on that hummer :lol:

firefighter3931

A 3.5in steel driveshaft will be fine....this is a street car that will be running non-sticky street tires. I expect to see lots of wheelspin and tire smoke.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs