News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok, now HERE'S a good barn find...

Started by bull, January 08, 2009, 11:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Woman-finds-139-year-old-baseball-card-in-box-of?urn=mlb,132871

The strange story goes like this: Last summer, Bernice Gallego pulled an old baseball card from a box of antiques. She figured it might be worth something to someone, so she listed it on eBay.

The starting bid was $10.

But after getting a flurry of inquiries about whether the card was authentic or not, Gallego started to suspect she was holding something a little more valuable and immediately ended the auction.

Turns out her hunch was correct. She did have something more valuable. The card she found was made in 1869 and featured the "Red Stocking B.B. Club of Cincinnati," the sport's first professional team.  It's considered one of the first baseball cards ever produced and its actual value could be worth more than $100,000 when she puts it back on eBay (with a higher starting price, of course).

bull

Ooops. I meant to post this in off topic.

Charger_Fan

That's pretty cool. The article sez she also won $250K from a slot machine sometime earlier too, sounds like she's a lucky lady. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

WingCharger

Yeah! The Reds!! :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

Pretty cool find. Wonder what it will sell for? :popcrn:

mikepmcs

It's amazing how ebay has become the auction house of choice.  I'm surprised it would even go to ebay.  Wouldn't Sotheby's(just an example) or something be a better place for this??? 
I guess I need to go dig in the cornflakes, buy some chips or toast some bread so I can get in on the quick $$$.
I hope she gets millions.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

quapman

When my wife read me that story last night, my first question was "why put it back on fleebay and pay all their damn fees and run the risk of getting scammed?"

There are plenty of places to sell sports memorabilia. It's not like old used car parts.  :icon_smile_wink:

Will this tale turn out to be an urban myth in a couple weeks?  :shruggy:

Steve