News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many Daytona or suprbird clones are there?

Started by petercharger, December 25, 2008, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharger

best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

petercharger

I was wondering who many clones tributes or recreations are out there? don't know if anyone has ever asked this question...thanks peter

hemigeno

There is absolutely no way to answer that question.  All we would be doing is guessing, and poorly at that.  Additionally, the question of what it takes to be considered a clone comes in... wing only?  wing + nose? gotta have a rear window plug?  Big Can-O-Worms there!

Heck, we can't know for certain how many of the original cars still exist, so the number of clones/tributes/replicas is way beyond anyone's knowledge.  We find out about more of them all the time.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

superbirdtom

LORD ON XMAS DAY I AM ON HERE GETTING YELLED AT BY THE WIFE SHEESH DOSEN'T SHE UNDERSTAND :shruggy: I REMEMBER A FELLA ABOUT 13 YEARS AGO SELLING THREE COMPLETE NOSECONES AND A VERY RUSTY BIRD , SO RUSTY THE DRIP RAIL IN THE TRUNK WAS GONE HE HAD HOODS A COUPLE WINGS AND A DONER CAR FOR 20 GRAND . YARRGH SHOULDA BOUGHT ALL THAT STUFF. IT WAS A B=5 CAR WONDER IF ANYONE REMEMBERS IT. I AM SURE SOMEONE BROUGHT IT BACK TO LIFE. AND I BET THE NOSES ARE ON CLONES . UH OH GOTTA GO! :eek2:

daytonalo

DUMP THE WIFE NOW THIS WAY WHEN THE NEXT DEAL COMES AROUND YOU WON'T  DO A REPEAT !!!! DISC THE GFI AND THROW HAIR DRIER IN TUB !!! ONLY KIDDING  :icon_smile_big:

superbirdtom

yeah I can claim temporary mopar syndrome insanity :RantExplode:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on December 25, 2008, 03:57:22 PM
DUMP THE WIFE NOW !!!! DISC THE GFI AND THROW HAIR DRIER IN TUB !!!

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Now THAT was funny !

petercharger

daytona r/t...is that your car that you that I believe is a b5 blue? what color interior is your car...thanks peter :scratchchin:

daytonalo

SEND HER OUT IN THE NEXT ICE STORM IN THE CAR WITHOUT ANTI-LOCK BRAKES FOR SOME MILK AND JUST KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED  :icon_smile_big:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: petercharger on December 25, 2008, 06:24:52 PM
daytona r/t...is that your car that you that I believe is a b5 blue? what color interior is your car...thanks peter :scratchchin:

The car in my Signature pic is what I hope my car will look like someday-

B5 Blue/White wing/White Interior  :coolgleamA:

My car is still in bare metal :eek2:

But it's getting closer to it's little vacation to my buddie's place for paint :2thumbs:

I just have to assemble the nosecone/Z bars/headlights/valance "One more time" (Which will probably turn into "20 more times" :eek2:

And do a bunch of little shit like re-drill the jack mouting hole (Got that one wrong on the very first try) :eek2:

Drill for the hood pins, finish making my fender to nosecone seals-I started on them this morning -it was going well until my compressor decided it was going to commit suicide :brickwall:

Oh and fix the lights and brakes on my car trailer so I can haul it to the paint shop, and pray it don't rain when I take it there-Bare metal car/open trailer and rain with road salt on the roads don't mix :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Stay tuned...

hemigeno

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 26, 2008, 12:22:19 AM

And do a bunch of little shit like re-drill the jack mouting hole (Got that one wrong on the very first try) :eek2:

You had a little "help" with that one though. 

Sorry again   :blush2:

Back N Black

Maybe someone should start a CLONE registry. 318 VIN's with a nose cone and a wing.  :D

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

billssuperbird

superbirdtom

where did you get the rear window trim?? I know janak has some kinda composite one that is plastic chrome. and I know others that are toying with making a accurate repop. like Erik Nelson ,and supposedly some other guy is trying to do it. I wish p.g. classics would do it. any info????? :shruggy: also does anyone make the trunk hinge stops?? I think these are the only hard to get parts on a bird.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on December 26, 2008, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 26, 2008, 12:22:19 AM

You had a little "help" with that one though. 

Sorry again   :blush2:

;) :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Quote from: superbirdtom on December 26, 2008, 03:35:20 PM
where did you get the rear window trim?? I know janak has some kinda composite one that is plastic chrome. and I know others that are toying with making a accurate repop. like Erik Nelson ,and supposedly some other guy is trying to do it. I wish p.g. classics would do it. any info????? :shruggy: also does anyone make the trunk hinge stops?? I think these are the only hard to get parts on a bird.

The last conversation that I had with Mike Ross at BE&A was that they had an original set to use for examples and they were contemplatiing making 100 sets (if I remember correctly). Someone (?) mentioned that they may sell for $1200 a set to cover tooling costs. Haven't heard any updates.
I plan to make a set for the bird clone using various moldings and cutting them to fit. Somewhere I have a list of the moldings that I would need to accomplish this. I have to go the cheap route since I have to maintain several cars and there's only so much money to go around.  :yesnod:

As for the number of clones, I've sold around 50 sets of wing braces for Daytonas in the last two years if that tells you anything. And, I'm only one of several people that sell them. I think that there are hundreds of wing clones either built or being built.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

quapman

It's amazing that there are so many clones of a car that Mopar had trouble selling in the first place!

I remember when a friend of mine in Rochester bought a basket case Bird back in the 90's for $10k. I would guess he's having the last laugh now, eh?

Steve

billssuperbird

the molding is off a chevy van. part numbers are 2 wktd1161 and 2 14027097 cap w/s. and they are glued in. i made my one trunk stops.

superbirdtom

Interesting I will have to go to the chevy dealer and run the numbers. I have ofter wondered about a 70 coronet 4 door rear window exterior trim, as I believe the interior rear window trim will work for a superbird??

billssuperbird

i have a set of 70 coronet 4 door rear window outter trim. only the lower two coners will work. i used the in side trim on the rear. from my 1970 roadrunner. janck told me to use left + right top outer rear window trim of a 70 roadrunner. and left+ right outter lower rear window trim from a 70 charger. but you have switch them. cut all 4 to make them fit.  good luck. :o  :hack: :buff: :pushup:       

superbirdtom

thanks !  I have a lotta trim pieces laying around . I will start comparing them to my bird

PocketThunder

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 25, 2008, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on December 25, 2008, 03:57:22 PM
DUMP THE WIFE NOW !!!! DISC THE GFI AND THROW HAIR DRIER IN TUB !!!

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Now THAT was funny !

i guess i'm a page late on this one but yes. that was damn funny..   :rofl:  :rofl:

Paul

PS, when you gonna drop your price on the Imperial to 3 digits so i can come drive it home?    :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 27, 2008, 03:40:10 PM

PS, when you gonna drop your price on the Imperial to 3 digits so i can come drive it home?    :2thumbs:

Tell ya what....I'll trade you straight across for your 500, and you can keep the hillside hemi... Deal?   :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

moparstuart

I would bet there are more clone projects out there started , then there are completed cars !  :Twocents:  Maybe even double the projects to completed cars .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

QuoteI would bet there are more clone projects out there started ,

:yesnod:  i know of 2 bird clone projects that have been sitting for a long time. i got dibbs on one of them .