News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

flat black paint........

Started by 73-charger-383, October 21, 2005, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

i'm really kinda thinking about painting my 73 flat black, but was wondering if a guy would have to clear it to seal it up.  Obviously i don't know squat about paint, but i've seen the "suede" look on a couple of old rods now and have loved it.  I want a flat black, but not quite chalkboard black..........know what i mean?? 

y3chargerrt

I have seen street rods painted "suede".It reminds me of my original 69 Charger which was rattle can black primer. I couldn't see paying good money to have a professional paint my car a primer color.

Drop Top

Your talking about the "Rat Rod" look. The primer most of them use is PPG's DPLF 50. Now remember it's a primer and won't hold up to the elements very well. Depending on how long it stays in the direct sunlight is how long it will last. If you put any type of clear over it. The clear will give it a shinny look and it will look like a regular Base/Clear paint job. On an average a rattle can primer job will last a couple months at best. If you go with a good quality primer like PPG, You can at best get a couple years out of it. Providing you keep it in an enclosed area most of the time. Only driving it in good weather and only on special occasions.

73-charger-383

thanx man.................

is there anything a guy can do to keep the paint from fading out so quick??  Like is there any sealer that can be put on to keep it looking like that for years??

Drop Top

Not to my knowledge. PPG makes a clear that is called Fixed and Flat. But if you shoot it over black primer it will still add a bit of gloss to it. It's more of a simi-gloss finish.

nh_mopar_fan

There is a Chrysler flat black that was used on the hoods of the 1978 Super Coupes.

You might want to find that paint code and check it out.

'CUDA360

I don't know if this helps but I have painted a car or two in the past and I played a little with flat black

With my '74 Barracuda I just got some base coat clear coat paint and did not buy the clear coat.
The guy at the paint store told me the black would not last without the clear but it's been 8 years this month since I painted it and it still looks fine.

Not as flat as I wanted but more like semi-gloss I guess

Here's a pic

toqwik

John Deere blitz black works good and holds up, or you can go to tractor supply, about 30 bucks a gallon.  Scott

cudaken

I as well would not use a primer, it will also hold water.

If you have a paint gun and good air supply you could use singel layer and a flanter to keep the shine down. I did a Dodge PU that way for a Zomfie Movie that was shoot local. It came out a semi gloss.

Just did not semi right to me, trying to make something dull. Try a cheap MACO job and let it set out side for a year. ;D     

Cuda Ken                             
I am back

plum500

I've used black bumper paint from a local Canadian Tire store out of a rattle can in a pinch -- worked pretty good. Not sure what an equiv. US product would be or who actually makes it, but it seems a much deeper black than any standard flat I've seen. Also, has a very slight sheen -- doesn't seem to scuff etc. like true flat black.

Though I don't think it would be good for a final coat on a whole car obviously -- it made for some quick billboards/stripes to cover up a big tea stain and some imperfections til I get to redoing the body and paint. -- might be good for smaller parts or any other in-between, clean-up to drive in all one color, flat job before stripping and painting.

Wipe it off with a lint free rag and a light oil and you get a nice rich black with a satin finish....

Dunno...just my findings...