News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought my Charger an over-drive for Christmas

Started by keepat, December 21, 2008, 03:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

I'm planning on putting a GV in the Charger over the holiday. If anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips on the installation I'm all ears
Thanks!
Pat 

Runner

nice christmas present!   does the gv have a coupler beteen the stock tail shaft and the od unit

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Nacho-RT74

does look the stuff at right side of pic is a tailshaft housing replacement to the stock housing to be able to mount the overdrive
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

keepat

Yes! it has a new tail-shaft (right side 2nd pic) I think the only other thing I need is a right angle adapter for the speedometer cable. I plan on installing the GV with the trans still in the car.
Thanks!
Pat

68n70

QuoteI think the only other thing I need is a right angle adapter for the speedometer cable.
Hey kee pat,
I don't know about your setup but the right angle adapter would not work on my '68.  I actually drilled a hole in the tunnel (The speedo points right into the wall of the tunnel), mounted a grommett and ran the speedo under the carpet inside the cabin.
Maybe something to consider if you have a problem! 
Good Luck!!

keepat

Quote from: 68n70 on December 21, 2008, 05:01:25 PM
QuoteI think the only other thing I need is a right angle adapter for the speedometer cable.
Hey kee pat,
I don't know about your setup but the right angle adapter would not work on my '68.  I actually drilled a hole in the tunnel (The speedo points right into the wall of the tunnel), mounted a grommett and ran the speedo under the carpet inside the cabin.
Good Luck!!

If you have any pictures please post them.
Thanks
Pat

68n70

Wow, you're talking to a very computer challenged guy.  Will give it a shot though!

Mick70RR

Hey kee pat,
Good Luck!!

I considered doing the same thing but decided to massage the floor instead so the cable cleared.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

keepat

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 21, 2008, 05:39:22 PM
Hey kee pat,
Good Luck!!

I considered doing the same thing but decided to massage the floor instead so the cable cleared.

I looked at a 67 satellite with a GV and he did the same thing. Looks tight, but it fit! If you have any pic please post them.
Thanks!
Pat

Runner

i see the tail shaft in the picture,     the tranny will have male splines and the gv has male splines,   i didint see a double female adapter in the picture.    im sure its there somewhere though.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

keepat

Quote from: Runner on December 21, 2008, 07:58:12 PM
i see the tail shaft in the picture,     the tranny will have male splines and the gv has male splines,   i didint see a double female adapter in the picture.    im sure its there somewhere though.

Nacho is right! The adapter in is in the tail shaft. I post a pic asap.
Pat

jerry

nice looking kit. what did it cost ? anyone do a 4-sp? wonder if you have any more room in tunnel on 4-sp.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: keepat on December 22, 2008, 07:21:18 AM
Quote from: Runner on December 21, 2008, 07:58:12 PM

Nacho is right! The adapter in is in the tail shaft. I post a pic asap.
Pat

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

what I won?   :icon_smile_big:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: jerry on December 22, 2008, 08:14:20 AM
nice looking kit. what did it cost ? anyone do a 4-sp? wonder if you have any more room in tunnel on 4-sp.

last quote I got was around $3K, but about a year ago.

Mick70RR

My car is a 4 speed. The tunnel is the same as an auto and just needed a little clearancing at the top both sides with a ball pein hammer. The drive shaft loop had to go ( I'll refit it later ) and the exhaust h-pipe had to be re-located. Auto cars use a foot switch for the overdrive but I had to make a switch for the pistol grip. Also, you have to drop the 4 speed to get the tailshaft off so it can't be fitted on the car like you can with an auto.

keepat

Quote from: Mick70RR on December 22, 2008, 01:35:15 PM
My car is a 4 speed. The tunnel is the same as an auto and just needed a little clearancing at the top both sides with a ball pein hammer. The drive shaft loop had to go ( I'll refit it later ) and the exhaust h-pipe had to be re-located. Auto cars use a foot switch for the overdrive but I had to make a switch for the pistol grip. Also, you have to drop the 4 speed to get the tailshaft off so it can't be fitted on the car like you can with an auto.

Jerry,
I paid $2,700 for the complete setup from Rick at A&A transmission. They are great to work with and they built my 727 two years ago. With economy so slow for so many I was not looking for a discount, as I'm quite sure you could find a lower price for the same setup.

Mick,
The switch on your shift looks awesome! Any pictures from the bottom?

Pat     

six-tee-nine

Mick,

How do you like the overdrive unit?

I'm gonna built my 69 up with a 4-speed and a 4.10 gear in the rear. Depending on how much long trips i'll be doing with the Charger, I'd like to add a GV overdrive.
I'd only use it on long highway trips to roll to a meet, but besides that do you constantly use your unit in street driving?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

NorwayCharger

I did some mods in the tunnel.
Also you may want to make some more clearance for the ears/bolts on the GV. (red marking)

PS:
For the bulge i made in the tunnel i compensated with sound deadening to make the carped flat..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

keepat

Quote from: NorwayCharger on December 23, 2008, 09:17:29 AM
I did some mods in the tunnel.
Also you may want to make some more clearance for the ears/bolts on the GV. (red marking)

PS:
For the bulge i made in the tunnel i compensated with sound deadening to make the carped flat..

Hey man, Thanks for the great pic & the heads-up ears/bolt clearance.
Merry Christmas!
Pat

Mick70RR

Been under the car today so took some pictures of the overdrive. You can see where I had to hammer the floor near the tunnel so the speedo cable would clear. I ran the cable through the crossmember to keep it away from the exhaust. You can also see where I had to cut and shut the exhaust, I will fit a new system later. The last picture shows the plate attached to the overdrive, it was made by GKN less than ten miles from where I live, shipped to CA then back to Birmingham, England.

keepat

NYCMille

Dude... you are going to LOVE the GV unit. I have 30K on mine and the thing is BULLET PROOF!  :2thumbs: