News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mid to late 60's mopar street cars?

Started by Harlow, December 18, 2008, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

Does anyone (maybe someone who was driving during the era) know what people did to their mid to late 60's mopar? The type of car that someone would use to pound the streets in. Did people do any interior mods or strip it down/change things around? What about the exterior? What kind of wheels were popular for people to use. For my next project I'm thinking it would be cool to go with a nostalgic stripped down/street race look.

Ghoste

Around here it was popular for people to have mags on the front (the Torq Thrust style was favored) with black steel wheels on the back.  The chrome reverse look was a frequent one too.

Sublime/Sixpack

Sometimes a slight lift in the front, cheater slicks on the back.  Slotted mags (such as Ansen Sprints) were also popular.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

SFRT

not mopar but perhaps the ultimate mid 60's street car:THIS is 'the stance'

The Tobacco King
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SFRT

which I copied for the Scow, within reason

Always Drive Responsibly

Harlow

I like the look of your car SFRT. Looks like the front is about even with the back...the Galaxie might have its front a little higher than the back. It looks a lot like a gasser/straight axle car.

SFRT

thats the 'Tobacco King' galaxie. worth a google search amazing car.
Always Drive Responsibly

Mike DC

The cast aluminum mag wheels often didn't get used on the rear ends of dedicated dragstrip cars.  The aftermarket wheels of the time were dangerously unsafe compared to the steelies and simply weren't trusted to the stresses of hard launches on the strip.

I point this out because stuff like that tends to trickle down to street cars too.  Both for imitating the badass cars on the strip and for functionality. 

Brock Samson

my suggestion to you is to either google stuff or better yet get old issues of hot rod magaizine...

i have tons of stuff but you can't have them...  :nana:

i'm gonna go ahead and say this must be a Charger Guy's Car...
i know it's a great leap but i'm speaking from experiance..

Ghoste

Brock Samson

Ghoste

Harlow

SFRT, I switched to a Mecum auction they had on tv last night. Guess what car was on the auction block? A 1964 Galaxie rocket. Which I believe is the "Tobacco King" car?

Brock Samson

i been watchin that too, lookin at prices and pretty much skippin thru to the MOPARs
so do0 you remember what that ford sell for?.. or if i see it which i very well may, I'll post up..
i seen three chargers incl. the orange '70 6 pac sunroof showcar which didn't sell, and two '71s- one hemi one six-pack...
a few RRs and three Cudas... no challys....
i should write down the prices..

Harlow

The Galaxie sold for $375,000 if I remember correctly.

Brock Samson

Good to know, thanks!

here's something that should help Harlow, and prove a revelation to anyone else who hasn't seen it yet...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47365.0.html

WingCharger

The basics from what I have seen in old pictures.

Cragers
Headers
Air Shocks
Fat Rear Tires

Harlow

Brock - Thanks those are some good shots. I like the picture of the AAR...

SFRT

Quote from: WingCharger on December 22, 2008, 03:33:05 PM

Cragers
Headers
Air Shocks
Fat Rear Tires

nope that's all 1974-1980. not mid 60's
Always Drive Responsibly

WingCharger

Quote from: SFRT on December 22, 2008, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on December 22, 2008, 03:33:05 PM

Cragers
Headers
Air Shocks
Fat Rear Tires

nope that's all 1974-1980. not mid 60's

Mid sixties... :scratchchin:

Torque Thrusts, Street Wedge, and greasy hair. :D

triple_green

(circa 1978) My 69 Dart swinger 340. 4-speed. Hurst shifter. Edelbrock intake. Holley 650 double pumper, cam, headers, glass packs. dual point ignition. Accel supercoil. low resistence plug wires.

14x7 Ansen slots with g60 RWL rears, E60x14 fronts. RWL tires. Air shocks. Traction bars. after market 8-track tape. I even fabricated a front air dam out of sheet metal (kind of like a mach1 front spoiler).

I'm sure  have missed some things.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Brock Samson

this one is for you Frank...
:lol:

maybe not street but WOW!  :o

this pic was taken exactly where my avatar pic was about 40 years prior..

slap some pink flowers on your ride...   :lol:

my first van was pretty much identical to this minus the flares..

Amityville N. J. High School parking lot 1980...

:P

SFRT

the impala in the black and white pic is almost right.''except for the rims. the rest of it is all 70's. that first gto is definately a great 70's style street freak. but not mid-60's. mid 60's means an even stance, factory tires for the most part, white straight legged pants and 'regular men's haircuts'.

mid sixties means 1964-67. street cars emulated s/s cars...and maybe a little af/x.

keep digging.

Always Drive Responsibly

Brock Samson

Jeeese Dude..  :shruggy: I was there... I know,.. Chrome Reverse Rims were the definitive wheel, anything but a hub cap.. a tach was a really big deal...
a few guys cold actually afford mags... a couple stickers "Powered By..."  and one of those steering wheels with the holes and a metalflake rim,,, were as good as it got till about 1966... then the tire and wheel market suddenly exploded... in '67 the aftermarket really began to kick into high gear...
I was just posting pics i thought were of intrest... the goat was just high like your '64 Galaxie of choice...
putting a compitition stripe on your car then was what scissor doors are today..  :lol:

SFRT

yep and being there you'd want to preserve the reality baby. car guys didnt 'go hippy' until the 70's.

Always Drive Responsibly