News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The State The Colonel....UPDATED!! "IT IS FINISHED"

Started by THE COLONEL, December 19, 2008, 03:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

wondered how its been going  :yesnod: ...... looks good  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jaak

:2thumbs: Looking great, Man!!!

I am planning on painting the engine bay and engine on my 73 Before long.

Jason

WingCharger

I have always liked your car man. Looks to be coming along good! :yesnod:

mikepmcs

Very nice, clean as a whistle too! :2thumbs: :cheers:

How did you hold that hood down when you were driving it? :icon_smile_cool:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

THE COLONEL

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 27, 2009, 09:53:19 PM
Very nice, clean as a whistle too! :2thumbs: :cheers:

How did you hold that hood down when you were driving it? :icon_smile_cool:

bungee cord...well actually a rubber on so it does not stretch.  It won't come up, but I would not want to go fast for too long!
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

69*F5*SE

Looks fantastic. Been wondering where it was.   :2thumbs:

Neal_J

mopar73

Beautiful car :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  It sure is nice to see someone making progress and it gives me the kick to keep going.

THE COLONEL

Well, here is the latest update.  The grille should be done shortly, and it all should be back together in the next couple weeks.  My guess is a few days before Carlisle.  I also (for the first time) took those clay bars to the car.....wow!!!!    Those things are unreal.  I didn't think it would work half as well as I thought!!!

But upon closer inspection of the car, I did find something that....well, I'm not very happy about.........not from the builder, but the paint shop the car was in.  Take a look for yourself....

At first I thought it was just a lot of dirt and needed cleaned.  You can stand in front of the wheel, and not even see it.  I had to get right up close to see that it was paint.  They told me to take rubbing compound and the paint  will come off.  Let me tell ya, the money I spent for them to media blast and paint it........I will not be doing it.....THEY WILL BE!!! :evil:  I have to pic up the frint Valance from them this week, and I will schedule a time in July for them to fix it....ASAP!

Also I have no idea where this happened at. 

This was a Repop cap and ring a year and a half ago.  I know Ed (the builder)  would not have done that.  Don't tell me he might have done it, because his pride in cars, and how careful he is......it would have never happened.  Trust me!  But I can't put the blame on the paint shop, unlike the wheel, which is a no brainer where that happened.  All in all, other then those few thigs, I am happy wiyh how everything has turned out, and I can't wait to get it on the road for good!

This next two pictures are my favorite.  Can anyone guess why? 8) I LOVE IT!!!!!

FlatbackFanatic

because the blinker lights work? The car looks great! :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

bakerhillpins

The shot of the gas cap is supposed to prove a point.. but I actually think its an awesome picture!

Because you have the turn signals installed?

:popcrn: :coolgleamA:

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mikepmcs

The car looks great!!!

On the cap, I'm just going to throw a scenario out there and let you run with it. 

First question is, has the car been cut and buffed.......if it has then that is where that could have happened. 

I've been buffing my car for the last week myself and it is very easy to either slip or intentionally buff a piece because you are in the area just to shine it up a little.  As I'm looking at your cap I am noticing what appears to be swirl marks in different places and on the black portion telling me that a buffer has gone over this with compound.  The easiest color to see a swirl is black.  That being said, if the buffer is on say a speed of 4-5 and not way back down between 1-2 when in tight areas, you stand a very good chance of burning or taking off paint simply because the area that you are not paying attention to is getting hit by the buffer while you are concentrating on that one spot.  Buffers are unforgiving at high polish speeds and will burn paint in a second and if it just catches a piece of whatever(emblem,sticker, plated chrome)that is just lifted a little bit it will rip it apart.
I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying that is a very good possibility.

The car looks fantastic and they did an outstanding job. 

What did you use the clay for?

As for the overspray on the wheels, get some varsol or some 3m gum and adhesive remover, it should come off pretty easily because it's new. Then wash it with soap and water quickly afterward.  I'd say thinner but I don' know what the finish is like on the wheel, under that yellow. 

Man, that engine bay looks like poster material!

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers: :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

THE COLONEL

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 16, 2009, 07:01:57 PM
The car looks great!!!

On the cap, I'm just going to throw a scenario out there and let you run with it. 

First question is, has the car been cut and buffed.......if it has then that is where that could have happened. 

I've been buffing my car for the last week myself and it is very easy to either slip or intentionally buff a piece because you are in the area just to shine it up a little.  As I'm looking at your cap I am noticing what appears to be swirl marks in different places and on the black portion telling me that a buffer has gone over this with compound.  The easiest color to see a swirl is black.  That being said, if the buffer is on say a speed of 4-5 and not way back down between 1-2 when in tight areas, you stand a very good chance of burning or taking off paint simply because the area that you are not paying attention to is getting hit by the buffer while you are concentrating on that one spot.  Buffers are unforgiving at high polish speeds and will burn paint in a second and if it just catches a piece of whatever(emblem,sticker, plated chrome)that is just lifted a little bit it will rip it apart.
I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying that is a very good possibility.

The car looks fantastic and they did an outstanding job. 

What did you use the clay for?

As for the overspray on the wheels, get some varsol or some 3m gum and adhesive remover, it should come off pretty easily because it's new. Then wash it with soap and water quickly afterward.  I'd say thinner but I don' know what the finish is like on the wheel, under that yellow. 

Man, that engine bay looks like poster material!

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the words guys.  The only thing I have ever used on the cap is the Mcguires quick detailer.  Thanks for the info on the remover.  I might try that so it won't be on there for Carlisle.  The clay takes all the dirt out of the paint.  I used the quick detailer, and the clay bar they give you, but I can't believe the dirt it took out.  I waxed the car before it went in for all the work, but it still had all kinds of crap on the paint, and wax would just not take it off.  I used a cleaner wax on it today, and then I willput a polish on it.  Right now it is as smootgh as a babys butt!! ;)

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would try the clay bar on the wheels as well before any chemical :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Tilar

Man that's a sweet looking ride.  :2thumbs:  Tell me more about these clay bars? Is this something relatively new?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mikepmcs

My bad, thought the outside of the car got a fresh coat of paint as well. 

Here you go tilar.  No they are not new but seldom used or talked about IMO.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/Clay-Bar/

I've never really given one a chance. tried it for overspray once, didn't like it for whatever reason. Left a smeared residue or something, I can't remember.  I need to try it again I guess.  I just use machine glaze with a new pad and buff myself.

THE COLONEL

I tried to buff, but the residue just would not come off, so I used the clay bars, and could not believe it.  Just go to the auto store....heck even Wal Mart's auto section.  They have clay kits, and will tell you exactly how it works.  I'm still amazed.

resq302

Before you wax, you should put a coat of polish on it.  The 5 basic steps to detailing a car is wash, clay bar, polish, wax, then fine detailing such as door jams, dust in vents, etc.  The reason why you polish then wax is because the polish actually "nourishes" and keeps the paint pliable and prevents it from drying out and cracking.  The wax is pretty much a sealer that keeps anything from getting into your paint.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

richRTSE

Your gas cap looks just like mine.  I got mine from Year One a few years ago. Just last week I was blowing some dust off the car with the air hose, and I blew some of the black paint off the cap.  :RantExplode: Appearantly, it doesn't stick to the chrome very well. Should be an easy touch up though.

Tilar

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 17, 2009, 04:24:23 AM

I've never really given one a chance. tried it for overspray once, didn't like it for whatever reason. Left a smeared residue or something, I can't remember.  I need to try it again I guess.  I just use machine glaze with a new pad and buff myself.

Thanks, That's Interesting. I had never heard of them until this thread. I think I'll give one a try. I have a pretty nice black Buick Regal that really needs to be buffed. If I were to use the clay, should it be done after I compound it out?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Tilar on June 17, 2009, 05:09:48 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on June 17, 2009, 04:24:23 AM

Thanks, That's Interesting. I had never heard of them until this thread. I think I'll give one a try. I have a pretty nice black Buick Regal that really needs to be buffed. If I were to use the clay, should it be done after I compound it out?

NO!!   Clay bar first to get paint smooth before buffing....if not then you will be buffing grit right into your paint defeating the purpose
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THE COLONEL

Exactly.  use the clay bar first.  You can get the kit at Wal Mart for $15 or $16.

Well, after using the clay bar, the cleaner wax, and then my Diamond Luster polish, the piant has never looked this good before.  I should have used the clay years ago.  here are just a few pics of it tonight.  Carlisle is coming fast!! 8)

I am just amazed at the shine!!!

resq302

Yup, Carlisle is coming up fast.  So you better get to putting that grille and such back together.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

THE COLONEL

Quote from: resq302 on June 18, 2009, 07:54:42 PM
Yup, Carlisle is coming up fast.  So you better get to putting that grille and such back together.

Hopefully it will be back in my hands in the next week and a half.

68coronetGLwannabe

Your car looks awesome!  :2thumbs: I recently purchased a 69 that is (faded) yellow with a black tail stripe. I wasn't sure what Color to repaint it, but after seeing yours I decided to leave it yellow with the stripe.  Yours is one sharp looking car.  :yesnod:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!