News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The State The Colonel....UPDATED!! "IT IS FINISHED"

Started by THE COLONEL, December 19, 2008, 03:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

As some of you know by now, The Colonel has gone in for a fresh rebuild of the 318.  I did find out that it is not the original engine as I was once told, but it really dones't matter too much to me, because that would have been the only thing that would have been original.  I can say now that nothing is original on the car now, but again is not that big a deal to me.  Anyway, here is the state of the condition.

12/14/09 The Colonel's last voyage...tired and old!

Out with the old!  Fast Eddy started on the engine & tranny at 8am, and was out and apart by 2pm. 12/16/09

The engine was in pretty bad shape, as was the tranny.  The tranny was not far from buring up.  The fluid was about as thick as oil, and it really smelled burned......BAD!!

The bearings were all getting eaten up, and had dirt all through them.......we just threw those in the garbage.  There were many parts in this engine that did not make sense.  It had racing parts, pickup truck parts, stuff that was cast in 67, 68, 69...and so on.  Basically the car was put together with anything that would work to get it on the road.  The rad had also been repaired several times, and leaked many more times.  If you could see it, mostly likely something was worng with it.   :lol: The engine and tranny were on their last days, and it was a good time to pick to finally do a complete overhual.

After a couple days of bad weather, it came back to my house so I could get most of the front end off. 12/19/09

After the new year, it will be sent off for paint in the bay, and under the hood which will be black, but the hood hinges will be yellow.  The front end will get rebuilt, and I will also be switching to a front disc brake conversion.  The grille will also get restored back to factory specs.  The rear end will get a new seal, and a new exhaut will also be put on.  It will be a process, but well worth it to have a car virtually new from the doors forward!!!  I will post more info and pics after the next faze.

"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

billssuperbird

73ChargerSE

Seems like you're a whole year ahead of everyone!  ;)

Looks good though. Progress rules   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

THE COLONEL

Well, here is some updated info on The Colonel, and what is going on.  Well, I took the grille to Harrisburg PA a week and a half ago to get restored.  I was going to do it myself, but found I have absolutly no time.  Anyway, I dropped it off to a friend of Tombo's. It will be getting restored back to factory specs, which will be nice!!  I can't wait until it's done!

Here are some pics of the grille before I took it to Harrisburg

I also got The Colonel in for paint last Monday...finally. I have been waiting for the roads to clear with all that crap on them. Anyway, the bay and under the hood will get a good steam clean, and some nice new black paint. After it gets paint, it is back to my friends garage, and rebuild the front end, swap to front disc brakes, change the seal in the rear, and put the engine back in. Then off for a new exhaust, and put the front end back on, like the grille, and bumper and things....but finally in for paint!!!!!

The engins is back from the shop, and here are some things that were done to it.  Some of this makes no sense to me, but I am learning! :blush2:  There were oly a few parts from the engine that were used again, but for arguments sake, it will be a brand new engine.  The tranny is also rebuilt too.  This will be a dream to drive when it's done!

BORED OVER .030 

FORDGED PISTONS

CRANK SHAFT TURNED

NEW OIL PAN

MILD CAM SHAFT

340 VALVE SPRING

STAINLESS STEEL VALVES

HEADS .060

NEW HIGH STREET TOURQUE CONVERTER

NEW 4 CORE RAD

CARD BEBUILT

CONNECTING RODS REBUSHED

THE COLONEL

skip68

:2thumbs:   Black with those wheels looks real good.  I just about left mine black when it got painted.  The shop put a black coat on first to see the flaws.  The Colonel's gonna be happy and ready.   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: skip68 on February 23, 2009, 11:01:28 AM
:2thumbs:   Black with those wheels looks real good.  I just about left mine black when it got painted.  The shop put a black coat on first to see the flaws.  The Colonel's gonna be happy and ready.   :cheers:

The engine bay is going black, not the car :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

THE COLONEL

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 23, 2009, 10:09:12 PM
Quote from: skip68 on February 23, 2009, 11:01:28 AM

The engine bay is going black, not the car :nana:

Yeah, just the bay and under the hood. ;)

THE COLONEL

Well, the engine and tranny are finished, and ready to be put back in the The Colonel.  It is still in for paint, and we found that the hood had pin holes in it, so that is getting taken care of as well, in the propper way.  So, both sides of the hood are getting painted right now, so it is a little longer wait, but it will be worth it, when all done.  The headers are done too as you can see in the picture.  Once The Colonel is out of paint, it will be sent back to my friends to put it all back in!  The front end will be rebuilt still, along with the disc brakes added to it, the new seal in the rear, and also the new exhaust will probably be the last thing.  Anyway, here are some pics of the engine!

RD

looking good!! dont forget to scrape the paint of the exhaust ports :D hehehehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

Looking good, Jason.  It was never a bad car to start with and you keep improving it. 

Old & Busted --> New Hotness.

rav440

:cheers: :2thumbs: looks great  :2thumbs:

who did the engine ?

whos doing the paint and rad work ?
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

THE COLONEL

Thanks guys! :cheers:

the guy doing the engine is Ed Eckenrode.  He has worked for Chrysler for years, and just retired a couple months ago.....good move there.....!  He has raced, and built race engines for years, and with his more then 40+ years building Mopar engines...well, he has probably built more engines then most of the members here combined.  His work is amazing, and he is one of those people that you have to know him for him to do work on your car.  I have been pretty blessed to have him do it.  He also did my dad's 64 Sport Fury a couple years ago too. 

As for the Rad, I can't remember where he said he took it at the moment.  The paint work is being done at Percise Auto just outside New Brighton.  He has worked with them for years too! ;)

THE COLONEL

Well, here is the latest update!

I did change it up a little from what was told above.  The engine bay, and under the hood...well, I decided to keep it yellow like the car is now.  I am in no rush to change it right now into a General lee, so that was a huge decision of why to keep it yellow. 

The Colonel is back at my friends garage, and will be back on the road within the next month if the front grille gets done in time.  I also bought reproduction front parking & turn signal lenses.  I tried to polish the old ones up, and make them more presentable, but they are just too aged, and will look out of place with the rest of the front end.  So I went new, and they are AWESOME!!!! Exact in every way to the originals!!

Anyway, here are some pics of the engine bay now.  Compared to before...WHAT A MAKEOVER!!!!

THE COLONEL

bakerhillpins

Looking great!  :cheers:

I thought that you had signatures under the hood? Or was that the trunk lid? Did you save them?

Personally I am happy you decided to keep the engine bay the same color as the body. Can't wait to see that dolled up engine back in there!  :yesnod: :popcrn:

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 20, 2009, 12:34:49 PM
Looking great!  :cheers:

I thought that you had signatures under the hood? Or was that the trunk lid? Did you save them?

Personally I am happy you decided to keep the engine bay the same color as the body. Can't wait to see that dolled up engine back in there!  :yesnod: :popcrn:

Bryan

Thanks.  yes, the signatures are under the trunk, and out of the weather! ;)

mikepmcs

THE COLONEL

Here are some pics of the grille, and the things that were broke on it.  Thanks to Tombo, and his friend Keith, it is getting takinen care of it.  It will be BEAUTIFUL when it is done!!.

THE COLONEL

Well, it is almost finished.  i stoped by today, and it is running, and does it ever sound good!!!!!!!!!  Just a few odds and ends to complete, and it will be good to go.  I am still waiting on the grille, but hope to get that back soon, and put it all back together and get it complete again.  Torsion bars and things need done, but it went for a 5 mile ride today, and runs great...even without the grille! LOL  I will probably bring it bacvk home in the next few days, and clean it up, then when I get the grille back, it is ready to go!!!  Here are the pics from today.   

skip68

:o   WOW !!!!!   That should make you proud.   :drool5:   Looks real nice.   :scratchchin:  Damn nice.   :2thumbs: :cheers: