News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl roofs?

Started by 69bronzeT5, December 17, 2008, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinyl top on your car...yay or nay?

Don't like them too much
6 (5.7%)
Don't want one on my car
4 (3.8%)
Like them but not for my car
17 (16.2%)
Hate them
7 (6.7%)
I'm a vinyl roof owner!
42 (40%)
I Like 'Em
29 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

moparstuart

MY 69 RUNNER HAS ONE LOVE IT
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Manfred318

Vinyl all the way.  :yesnod: :2thumbs: Ive always thought Chargers looked way cooler with a vinyl top IMO. The only problem I have is it gets tiring telling people its not a 'vert, so here recently I just say "yep its a 'vert".

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: CB on December 18, 2008, 04:22:31 PM
I don't see the use of this poll  :shruggy:
CB

Just a fun thing to see what people think. ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

magnum

I never had a charger without one :shruggy:. I like them either way but mainly depends on color combo :yesnod:.
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

A383Wing

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 18, 2008, 07:19:43 PM
CB

I don't git paid enough to think  :eyes:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 18, 2008, 07:19:43 PM
CB

I don't understand why you seem to always get negative comments from others?  :shruggy: This site wouldn't be a site if it wasn't for people like you that have an interest for what the site represents.  You keep up the interesting post Cody, I like em.  :2thumbs: :patriot:

:drive:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

KillerBee1972

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 17, 2008, 10:50:33 PM
Do you guys like vinyl roofs? Especially on your Charger? I like them but not on my cars. The whole rusty roof issue just isn't for me. ;)

I like vinyl roofs because one less ting to wax on a car :lol: I really like them on the first gen chargers dont know why they just look really cool!!!
1964 Plymouth Fury "old 70s drag car"
1973 Dodge Charger SE B9 blue 440

WingCharger

You dont see them enough on First-Gens. :drool5:

Tilar

Mine didn't come with a vinyl top, but I'm more than likely going to add one.

I think the main reason for rust issues with vinyl tops is some car companies didn't do a good paint job on the roof because the vinyl would cover it up. And then they didn't have a good cover of glue holding the top down so it left gaps where moisture could form.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

I don't think Chrysler painted them at all, or just barely if they did. :lol:  The vinyl is somewhat pervious as well so with factory applications or most aftermarket ones where the entire undersurface is not covered with glue, there are lots of spaces where rain can seep through too.

DodgeByDave

I hate them, but I'm strange anyway.

I still have my 68 project but am torn between a daytone fake (I would use the word fake as it will have the correct wing, nose, fastback but all else will be custom)(btw I would NEVER try to pass it off as anything other than what it is) and sticking to a basic build (440/4spd/dana boulevard bruiser). Regardless, neither would have a vinyl top. Ick.

Disco died for a reason. Mullets died for a reason.

Sorry, but a sexy lady should never be forced to wear a cheap top.
III, we are everywhere

Ghoste

Now see, I always thought of them more as a sheer black teddy; maybe not the perfect choice for general attire but sure does look fine on the right body.  ;)

Brock Samson

Ya' know First Gen's were not really designed for a V. Top... and the Third Gens...  have those smooth sides that flow down into the body, so really only the Half and Halo styles look like they actually belong,... to me....  :shruggy:
The Second Gens though with their large "Tumblehome" look great with a V. Top. They look fine without one as well
a little more racy perhaps, And it is rare to see a Special Edition without one...

Perhaps we should post pictures of the various styles and years?..  :shruggy:

Few Cars look better then a Red Second Gen hemi without a V. Top... in my opinion..
I like mine though..

Brock Samson

some more various examples...

Ghoste

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 21, 2008, 12:19:30 PMYa' know First Gen's were not really designed for a V. Top... 
Perhaps we should post pictures of the various styles and years?..  :shruggy:

I don't agree with the first part Brock but I am a little biased.  That 1st gen top you posted is a 66 with an aftermarket dealer installed one and I do agree those look goofy.
Here is the factory style one on a 67.  :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

more...

Brock Samson

:o woah, that looks awesome...
for a moment there i thought it was
a convertable...  :lol:

seriously though, i like that one...

Ghoste

One long ragtop if it was.  :lol:  I'm mainly just pointing out that the factory top had trim that more closely followed the flow of the roofline.

The70RT

Survey shows more have them and more like them than not.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BB1

I don't want one on my car. I'm glad mine never had it.
Delete my profile

68beepbeep

I think it all depends on the car and the color combination!!! :icon_smile_wink:

Khyron

no Vinyl roof on my car, but I love the vinyl checks . breaks the lines up, plus, I had to take the top off anyways for my clone ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Now that look, on the other hand, never really clicked with me.  If it's vinyl it needs the trim but if it's paint, I like it better without the chrome checks.  It's just an opinion though.

tan top

Quote from: Khyron on December 22, 2008, 10:27:04 PM
no Vinyl roof on my car, but I love the vinyl checks . breaks the lines up, plus, I had to take the top off anyways for my clone ;)

yeah i see what your saying ...  does look good with them  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2008, 04:33:58 AM
Now that look, on the other hand, never really clicked with me.  If it's vinyl it needs the trim but if it's paint, I like it better without the chrome checks.  It's just an opinion though.
:iagree:  You got one busy thread here Cody.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.