News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 440 source 4.25 crank did not come knurled at the rear main seal....problems?

Started by Blakcharger440, December 13, 2008, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

My 440 source 4.25 crank did not come knurled at the rear main seal area. Will this cause some rear main seal leakage if installed without the rear main seal crank knurling? What needs to be done to fix it?

Challenger340

Not if the rear seal is checked / installed correctly.

Take it to a reputable "expensive" shop, when you're ready to have the Engine built,
read; "Machined and Assembled."
Only wimps wear Bowties !

turbobitt

The knurl is only needed with rope seals to provide some lubrication so the rope doesn't burn up. If you are using a rubber/neoprean seal than don't worry about it, you are probably better off. My K1 crank doesn't have one but I don't have it installed yet to provide feedback.

six-tee-nine

I'm learning alot lately about Mopar engines, but i see many issues about leaking rear main seals.

I'm with turbobitt on the knurling and the rope seals. But from a technical point of view, I can't imagine how you can ever seal these mains with a modern rubber seal (like for instance 440 source sells) with the knurling still on the crank.
IMO the knurling will work as an oil pump and the tiny grooves will squeeze the oil trough the seal and here's your leak...

I'm sure if Ron Reads this he will jump on this, in fact i've read somewhere that he alsways has the knurling removed, and that is the only thing that makes sense.
And I guess you don't have to worry about the crank's diameter getting smaller. The seal still will have enough pressure left....

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Chatt69chgr

Considering all the discussion about rear main seal leaking I also want to hear what Ron says about removing the knurling.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 13, 2008, 12:25:20 AM
My 440 source 4.25 crank did not come knurled at the rear main seal area. Will this cause some rear main seal leakage if installed without the rear main seal crank knurling? What needs to be done to fix it?

Be thankful that the knurling is gone....they did you a favor !  :icon_smile_big:

My guess is that 440Source is correcting an ongoing problem and tired of fielding calls on rear main seal leaks.  ;)

I've said it here on a few threads regarding rear main seal leaks : Machine off any knurling if you want a leak free engine.  :Twocents:

Fwiw, i recently purchased a 4.5 stroke Eagle crank that was a "blem" and has .010 undersized rod journals. When Eagle remachined the crank the knurling had been removed. I guess Eagle has recognized the same issues. At any rate they saved me the machining costs because i would have been removing it if they hadn't.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blakcharger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 16, 2008, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 13, 2008, 12:25:20 AM

Be thankful that the knurling is gone....they did you a favor !  :icon_smile_big:

My guess is that 440Source is correcting an ongoing problem and tired of fielding calls on rear main seal leaks.  ;)

I've said it here on a few threads regarding rear main seal leaks : Machine off any knurling if you want a leak free engine.  :Twocents:

Fwiw, i recently purchased a 4.5 stroke Eagle crank that was a "blem" and has .010 undersized rod journals. When Eagle remachined the crank the knurling had been removed. I guess Eagle has recognized the same issues. At any rate they saved me the machining costs because i would have been removing it if they hadn't.  :yesnod:

Ron

Awesome! I will continue my buildup without that being a huge concern.