News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild of my 68 after crash ************IT'S BACK HOME****PICS*************

Started by dkn1997, December 17, 2008, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Some of you probably followed the other thread where destiny, masquerading as a 79 year old man with questionable vision and driving skills, intervened in my life.  At this point, the dust has settled, I got a good settlement from my insurance company, and work has begun.  In a nutshell, the frame is being straightened, new hood, drivers fender, valence, and a bumper will be installed.  Also, the whole car is being repainted and a few other non accident issues with the body will be addressed.  I do have a cushion, so some upgrades will take place.  Currently, the frame is almost back in line, body work on the pas quarter has started, and the sheetmetal, less the valence, is at the shop.  I took plenty of pics. I took a bunch of the amd hood and fender because i know a lot of guys are planning on using these parts.  To me, the sheetmetal from AMD looks great, but I am no body man.  The bodyshop owner, however,agreed and said that "this stuff is really good" Special thanks to Jason at Gunslinger who I ordered the sheetmetal through.  He was great to deal with and the parts were at the body shop less than a week after i ordered them.  He is a stand up guy to deal with which in itself is enough. But to top it off, he has good prices too. 

I will keep this thread going as work progresses.  Here we go.  1st 2 are the carnage...last one is what it looked like less than 4 months before it got taco'd
RECHRGED

dkn1997

At the body shop...the teardown
RECHRGED

dkn1997

On the frame machine.  2nd pic you can see where the rail cracked.  They will straighten the frame, the cut out that section and buttress it.  that wasn't the only spot, he's got another closer to the firewall.  Lower control arm may have taken a hit. once he's got the frame where it needs to be, we will know for sure.  Frame guy said the it looks like the wheel/suspension/frame took most of the hit as far as the structure goes. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

pre accident rust on pass quarter. patch panels welded in, still needs grinding and filling.  one more spot on top of that quarter near trunk drip rail, and a small spot on dutchman panel by rear window corners.  all will be cut out and new metal welded in.

8 years ago, I had a shop weld in new patch panels in back of the wheels on both quarters.  got the panels from year one and they held up great.  the area in front of the wheel was rusted back then and the same shop fabbed their own panels...didn't do a good job because look at the patch that to be used now!
RECHRGED

dkn1997

AMD sheetmetal
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Fender.  Bring your kids to the body shop, the look on their faces will tell you how much they love it  :eek2:
RECHRGED

dkn1997

last one of the fender
RECHRGED

69bronzeT5

Kevin, let us know how the hood and fender fits. :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Hemidog

Good work! Looks like quality sheet metal!  :yesnod:

bull

AMD to the rescue, just in the nick of time. Lookin' good! :2thumbs:

BTW, I assume you don't need that valance, right?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69*F5*SE

Everything seems to be moving right along. It's great to be able to have the body parts you need available now.

PocketThunder

Looks good!   :popcrn:

Will the dust wash off the vinly top just fine or should they cover it with plastic while doing body work?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 17, 2008, 10:23:32 AM
Looks good!   :popcrn:

Will the dust wash off the vinly top just fine or should they cover it with plastic while doing body work?
I was thinking the same thing.

Love to hear how the fenders turn out....my car could use some new ones :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bull on December 17, 2008, 04:03:45 AM
AMD to the rescue, just in the nick of time. Lookin' good! :2thumbs:

Man, that's for sure. This accident had pretty good timing, from that aspect. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Aero426

If the front rail has been torn in a couple places, the proper procedure is that it should really be replaced.   It looks like he's heated and pulled and got it back to the right dimension.   It's not as critical on an older car as it does not have the high strength steels we have now, but you have to be careful with heat as you are altering the molecular structure of the metal.   Too much heat = bad.

Does this type of repair happen in the field?  Yes.   Does it return the car to your goal of pre-accident condition?  No.    Are you willing to accept that your cars value might be lowered by the way the repair is performed?  It is a major expense to change the rail, but if I were a future buyer of your car, and discovered the repair was done this way,  I would probably keep walking. 

dkn1997

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 17, 2008, 10:23:32 AM
Looks good!   :popcrn:

It's dust. I am sure it will be fine. At this point, I am happy to have found a body shop that's not owned by vinny barbarino wearing a matching sweatsuit
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

Just an FYI ...The rest of the car really should be stripped. 3 layers is too many. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ChargerSG

I know the feeling(my 69 SE went to destiny), i wish i could afford Amd fenders. Looking good, in the end its the perfect excuse to totally restore a Charger :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

dkn1997

most of car was stripped to bare metal when I had it painted @7-8 years ago.  I know how it looks, on the lower quarters, but  it's red paint, epoxy primer, then bare metal.  before it was stripped for paint back then, I had patch panels put in the lower quarters by a different shop, this was even further back, probably 10 years ago.  when those panels were welded in, i had that guy shoot a coat of any red he could find over the primer to make a little better looking and seal it up.  when the entire body was stripped for paint later, that guy obviously took a shortcut where he saw fresh bodywork. I took video back then and I saw that most of the car was stripped to bare metal, so i didn't just take his word for it.

The frame section in the pic is the only part where it actually cracked.  He did find one other spot further back that is a little bent, but not torn like this one.   As far as resale, if I was that concerned with that, I would never have allowed the car to be totaled in the first place.  It's just not a priority for me.  If I ever do sell the car, it will be with full disclosure of the accident with pictures of the damage and repairs.  I was never into this car to make money and the accident hasn't changed that.
RECHRGED

69bronzeT5

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 17, 2008, 12:35:05 PM
Love to hear how the fenders turn out....my car could use some new ones :thumbs:

Your car needs new fenders? Pffft. :nana: My car needs new ones. :icon_smile_wink:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dkn1997

The frame work is done.  But now that it's straight, it's apparent that the lower control arm and balljoint are bent.  I would like to use only new parts where possible, but the only thing I found on lower control arms was an NOS one on ebay for 350 bucks!  I could swear someone was making them, but now I can't find it.  Even if I could, I seem to remember that price being way high too.  It would kill me to pay that kind of money for a single control arm, but buying used scares me because how do I really know it's not someone else's junk?  which all leads me to think that maybe a set of tubular lower control arms would be nice.  I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel, but the price for a new set is right in line with a single stock one....I'm thinking why not. and while I'm at it, why not tubular uppers too?  I already have a firm feel box and the car is lowered....  I would never consider this upgrade (I dont' even know how much of an upgrade it actually is) unless I was forced to replace this damaged part. 

If I do this, I plan to use the CAP lowers and either the mancini or magnum force uppers, the ones that have the stock bushings and accept stock balljoints. This car will see all street miles and pretty much zero track hours. 

RECHRGED

Aero426

So how did he finish off the repair on that left rail?    Post a pic if you can.

Have you posted a want ad or tried to find a stock control arm on Moparts?

dkn1997

I found a stock one at tony's parts in delaware.  I will call tomorrow.  I have not been to the shop since monday. I will get there by saturday hopefully.  I will post a pic of the repair. I put the crack pipe down and decided to find a stock arm.  I may go as far as getting the stiffening plates from mancini.  I think i'd do ok by taking the 400 i was going to drop on control arms and maybe get a better swaybar and shocks.  maybe a set of offset bushings for the uppers for more caster....
RECHRGED

Hemidog

Firmfeel sells reinforced control arms. http://www.firmfeel.com/reinlca_b.htm
However, if they think your old control arms is too bent, it might be $200 extra..