News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild of my 68 after crash ************IT'S BACK HOME****PICS*************

Started by dkn1997, December 17, 2008, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger-Bodie

Its looking good!................But one thing I will say, Is ,That Vinyl top should have been covered the entire time it was in the shop! Its going to suck to get that thing actually clean...If it were white it would be junk!

It only took me one time of making that mistake to learn that i didn't want to donate another one. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dkn1997

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 27, 2009, 03:44:48 PM
Its looking good!................But one thing I will say, Is ,That Vinyl top should have been covered the entire time it was in the shop! Its going to suck to get that thing actually clean...If it were white it would be junk!

It only took me one time of making that mistake to learn that i did'nt want to donate another one. :Twocents:

It's pretty crappy anyway, It may be original and it's got a hole in it.  I am going to replace it but the project is starting to bust the budget so I'm holding off (he says as he buys 18" wheels, I know I know)  It's so faded that the only way I can get it to look good is to empty the armorall spray bottle on it...then If I get caught in any sprinkles, it all runs down the sides of the car...it's got to go!!  I'll scrub her up and get it decent till I get a new one.

RECHRGED

tan top

looking good  :yesnod:    what primer is on it  :scratchchin:  looks like sikkens color build ...... tinted primer is way to go i think , on most colors :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: tan top on February 27, 2009, 04:27:59 PM
looking good  :yesnod:    what primer is on it  :scratchchin:  looks like sikkens color build ...... tinted primer is way to go i think , on most colors :yesnod:

Exactly what I was thinking.....We use Colorbuild Plus.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

dkn1997

I'msuch a retard and I don't listen well either, I thought he said this was single stage paint and that they would block it and then clear it.  what the heck to I know.  it is primer, though I didn't ask which type.

What is the advantage to tinting primer?  I only ask because I remember on musclecar when they painted the crate camaro a similar shade of red, they used a white sealer and he said something about "this will really set it off"  
what effect will red primer have on the top coat?  or is it simply that a darker color makes it easier to block and see where you need to do more work?
RECHRGED

69*F5*SE

It looks like there doing a fine job on it. Can't wait to see it all together.   :2thumbs:  Ted

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 27, 2009, 04:33:04 PM

I'msuch a retard and I don't listen well either, I thought he said this was single stage paint and that they would block it and then clear it.  what the heck to I know.  it is primer, though I didn't ask which type.

What is the advantage to tinting primer?  I only ask because I remember on musclecar when they painted the crate camaro a similar shade of red, they used a white sealer and he said something about "this will really set it off"  
what effect will red primer have on the top coat?  or is it simply that a darker color makes it easier to block and see where you need to do more work?

Its mostly for when the car starts to wear......If you get a chip it dont show up so bad , that kind of stuff.

The color of the sealer can also effect the color depth too though, and how fast it gets coverage.

dkn1997

know what else I like?  I can see the body line running down the side of the car. I don't remember ever seeing that before.  I don't know if it will disappear once the color and clear are applied, but I hope not...

the car had 3 repaints on it when I got it and when it when the last turd took it down to the metal, he didn't block it. the car was so wavy down the sides I couldn't tell where the body line was.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 27, 2009, 04:37:53 PM

Its mostly for when the car starts to wear......If you get a chip it dont show up so bad , that kind of stuff.

The color of the sealer can also effect the color depth too though, and how fast it gets coverage.

thanks
RECHRGED

dkn1997

does everyone use sealer?  I haven't even asked and I don't remember every car i've ever seen get painted on tv and such getting it
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 27, 2009, 04:50:23 PM
does everyone use sealer?  I haven't even asked and I don't remember every car i've ever seen get painted on tv and such getting it

Its not necessary to used sealer if you have an uniform substrate , but sealing is VERY common.

Aero426

What is going on with the left front wheel?   Why does it lean like that?    Are there parts that need to be changed out yet?

dkn1997

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 04:54:01 PM
What is going on with the left front wheel?   Why does it lean like that?    Are there parts that need to be changed out yet?

control arm's bent, hasn't been changed out yet
RECHRGED

Aero426

I know you trust your guy, but it would be a good move get that suspension squared away, and get a rough alignment on it before it goes to final paint.   You do not want to have to backtrack. 

tan top

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 27, 2009, 04:39:00 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on February 27, 2009, 04:37:53 PM

thanks

yep better coverage for certain colors  .  as some blues , reds , greens  all yellows don't have much pigment in the paint ..so using normal color primer such as grey ,  beige , can take a few more coats ,,depending on what type of paint it is & if a panel has been part primered ( spot primed) although saying that ,ice (nexia) have a similar thing  going, but just with grey have mixing  formula of 7 shades ..& they garantee coverage in  2 1/2 coats water base & 1 1/2 coats HS
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 05:02:29 PM
I know you trust your guy, but it would be a good move get that suspension squared away, and get a rough alignment on it before it goes to final paint.   You do not want to have to backtrack. 

VERY good advice!

Aero426

The sealer is commonly used.  It prevents the hot solvents of the color coats penetrating to your bodywork underneath.   The result can cause paint problems down the road, or things like sandscratch swelling.    As mentioned the sealer when tinted can help with coverage.   In a production shop, this saves on material costs.   Red paints are $$$.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 05:08:51 PM
The sealer is commonly used.  It prevents the hot solvents of the color coats penetrating to your bodywork underneath.   The result can cause paint problems down the road, or things like sandscratch swelling.   

That was more the case years ago with Lacquer and enamel .....Most shops now-a -days use a good urethane surfacer that's very similar in chemical make-up to sealers so its often not necessary to "block off" the underlayers , cause the primer already does.  :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 27, 2009, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 05:08:51 PM
The sealer is commonly used.  It prevents the hot solvents of the color coats penetrating to your bodywork underneath.   The result can cause paint problems down the road, or things like sandscratch swelling.   

That was more the case years ago with Lacquer and enamel .....Most shops now-a -days use a good urethane surfacer that's very similar in chemical make-up to sealers so its often not necessary to "block off" the underlayers , cause the primer already does.  :Twocents:

I agree that with catalyzed undercoats, it's not nearly as big a deal.   Sometimes poop still occurs.    A lot of paint problems depend on the guy on the other end of the gun.

dkn1997

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 27, 2009, 05:07:02 PM
Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 05:02:29 PM

VERY good advice!

I agree.  I did deliver a used, good control arm I bought from tony d'agostino.  I will be down there again tomorrow to take some of my own pics and I will mention it to him.  I think part of the reason that this hasn't been done yet is that this shop operates out of 3 buildings.  two are right across the street from each other: the production collision shop and the mechanical repair shop.  the third is 3 miles away. that's where my car has been this whole time.  The first time it left since october was for primer.  i think he wants to do all of the mechanical at once: rebuild the door hinges, suspension, etc..  I will still speak to him.

also, I don't know if the rim took a shot too.
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

That's a lot of bodywork. They've done a great job on it. You should be back on the road soon
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

3-5-06 another pic from the body shop. they are blocking and fixing a few small areas.  It's going into the suspension shop next week, then prime one more time, final blocking, then paint.

Check out the bodyline.  the last pics I posted are what he sent me, today was first time I saw the car in person since primer.  that line is very crisp.  wasn't there before...

RECHRGED

73rallye440magnum

Looks great. Seems they are doing a nice job! :icon_smile_cool:

It's hard to beat fresh paint.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0