News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I Carb Crazy ??? Ron?

Started by Rolling_Thunder, December 17, 2008, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Well - this isnt exactly a life or death but I need to get a game plan together...    As you guys know my 66 Satellite has a running 318  - however the history is unknown so in my mind it is a ticking time bomb...   so - in goes the stroker...    512" of pure joy...    now - this thing is going to be detuned significantly and run stock manifolds, very mild cam, and stock 915 heads...     I'm looking for fuel economy on this build as the car has a 3.23 sure grip and will run a 727.   

Here's the question - I have this Thermoquad carb sitting on my shelf...   next to a rebuild kit for it...     it is a 1971 model i believe.  4847SA - 1,000 cfm with the cool screw in jets...    not the press in ones...   

So - I currently have a 800cfm Edelbrock on the engine but would I benefit any from using the Thermoquad ?  I know the Thermoquad uses a specific intake but I have three kicking around the shop...      again - not looking for ultimate HP - more like economy.

opinions ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

flyinlow

I use a TQ on my 446 with a SD. Good drivabilaty. Better gas milage then a holley. You can fine tune primary mixture with a screwdriver just by removing the air cleaner lid.

Good street carb.  With the small primarys you get less air flow for a given gas peddle movement then a square carb, until the secondaries open. This makes the TQ feel a like it makes less torque at part throttle. Carb was built to meet emission and fuel economy standards of the mid 70s. Used heated aircleaner and operational hot air crossover in intake . Most of us have deleted that stuff. Can be cold blooded without these in cold weather.

Holley wins at the track.

I put brass floats, bigger accelerator pump nozzle  and bigger needle valves in mine.

Check square orings in the bottom of the phenolic middle section . Will flood if bad or missing.

Adjust air valve, loosen until it bogs on sudden full throttle.,then tighten 1/4-1/2 turn. (that's where mine runs best)

Internet search will give you a few good references and parts sources.

mine floods with more than 6psi fuel pressure

don't think they flow more than 800-850cfm

Craig

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 17, 2008, 01:12:13 PM
Well - this isnt exactly a life or death but I need to get a game plan together...    As you guys know my 66 Satellite has a running 318  - however the history is unknown so in my mind it is a ticking time bomb...   so - in goes the stroker...    512" of pure joy...    now - this thing is going to be detuned significantly and run stock manifolds, very mild cam, and stock 915 heads...     I'm looking for fuel economy on this build as the car has a 3.23 sure grip and will run a 727.   

Here's the question - I have this Thermoquad carb sitting on my shelf...   next to a rebuild kit for it...     it is a 1971 model i believe.  4847SA - 1,000 cfm with the cool screw in jets...    not the press in ones...   

So - I currently have a 800cfm Edelbrock on the engine but would I benefit any from using the Thermoquad ?  I know the Thermoquad uses a specific intake but I have three kicking around the shop...      again - not looking for ultimate HP - more like economy.

opinions ?

I'm sure it could be made to work. The key will be to keep the cam profile mellow and have lots of engine vacuum. The thermoquads aren't calibrated with an agressive fuel curve so cam profiles that have lots of overlap and poor vacuum signal will cause grief with the fuel metering curve.  :yesnod:

The smaller primaries should be great for fuel economy.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

that's pretty much what I figured...      right now the cam has alot of overlap and is a lazy grind anyway...   I might just put a K58/K60 on a 112* in there...    got one on the shelf anyway - should make decent vacumme   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip