News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cig lighter conversion to elec plug for Radar Detector?

Started by joflaig, December 11, 2008, 07:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Does such a kit exist? I'd like install an outlet for a radar detector, and thought to hide it in the ash tray would be nifty. Anyone done this?

aifilaw

just use the actual cigarette lighter jack.
If you are going to buy a radar detector, buy the best, it comes with kits for 3 different power hookups, including just a standard lighter jack.
do a google search for guys of lidar, they buy all of the detectors and then run road tests with the latest police radar and laser guns, one brand always beats the rest, made by the guy who used to make the best, got screwed and then formed his own company. Valentine One.
It's 10-20% more expensive, but worth it. I'm a believer.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

joflaig

Quote from: aifilaw on December 11, 2008, 09:14:30 PM
just use the actual cigarette lighter jack.
If you are going to buy a radar detector, buy the best, it comes with kits for 3 different power hookups, including just a standard lighter jack.
do a google search for guys of lidar, they buy all of the detectors and then run road tests with the latest police radar and laser guns, one brand always beats the rest, made by the guy who used to make the best, got screwed and then formed his own company. Valentine One.
It's 10-20% more expensive, but worth it. I'm a believer.

I have not actually pulled mine out, beleive it or not (car is stored 130 miles away), but aren't the old ones just heater elements? I know I've burned myslef badly on one as a kid. How does the adpter turn that heat into juice?

aifilaw

The lighter " or heater element" goes into the lighter socket. The lighter socket is simply a housing "ground" and pin in the back connection for +12-14VDC.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

joflaig

Charger-Bodie

Chris,

I did the same thing , only I use mine for charging my cellphone.

I dont personally believe in radar detectors. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 12, 2008, 07:12:53 PM
Chris,

I did the same thing , only I use mine for charging my cellphone.

I dont personally believe in radar detectors. :Twocents:
I do as well...thats not a radar detector on my console, its the V-Tech performance computer...only used it a few times though.  No roads open enough here to really use it to its full potential....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

radar detectors are useless against laser. They only need one second to read your speed and they can be right behind you, in front, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722