News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 charger rt

Started by westcoastdodge, December 11, 2008, 04:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

hey guys just wondering what the original horsepower/torque figures for a 68 charger rt 440 mine is pretty much original stock apart from being bored out to +60, will that make any difference whatsoever :shruggy:
cheers ray :cheers:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

Dans 68

Here is a page from the 1968 Charger Data Book.  :2thumbs:  And at 0.060 over (3.7% bigger bore) you now have a 456 cu in beast.  :D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

westcoastdodge

thanks Dans 68 would you think the slightly  bigger engine size would have any effect on hp etc over stock size :scratchchin:
Gene Kranz

Dans 68

Everything else being equal, of course! But, would you notice it between a stock 440 and one 0.060 over...probably not. Now, more importantly, have you posted photos of your '68?  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Challenger340

Whats the Compression Distance on those Pistons ?

Please don't say anything in the 1.92-1.96" range ? Lest it make even less power than the stock smaller Mill.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

westcoastdodge

no the compression is supposed to be 10.1,got the whole rebuild kit from hd maddog in florida,any body had any dealings with these,this is the kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Mopar-Chrysler-440-Master-engine-kit-1966-71_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33620QQihZ012QQitemZ220315484441
Gene Kranz

badass

Oh no, not the compression distance check,my compression ratio was misadvertized and I dont mean due to the cc,s of the heads. Believe me I know what they mean by down in the hole. I bought a kit also claiming high compression 10:1 for 71 440 a open head engine ended up .095 in the hole and the compression would have been about 8.7:1 with 88cc heads.
mopars best **** the rest

375instroke

No valve notches?  How far down are they?  If you can't measure it, are they level with the deck, 1/16" down, 1/8" down?

westcoastdodge

not to sure about the piston to deck height measurement now the motor is in the car,it does however sound real crisp and responsive :icon_smile_big:might sound like a bit of a stupid question but can you get an idea of compression ratio from comression pressure ie from a compression tester??or is it time for a rolling road session when the car is fully assembled what should i expect to see at the wheels?? :shruggy:
Gene Kranz

Challenger340

NOT, trying to ruin your day,
But,
The L2266F Pistons in the Kit you purchased, generally, yield about 8.7:1 Comp. Ratio(or less), with 88cc heads.

Tough to tell a CR test, or static CR without some Camshaft specs/plotting.

It will run fine on pump fuel for sure.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

westcoastdodge

oh well just have to see how it goes,cheers guys,it ill be torquey if nothin else eh :2thumbs:
Gene Kranz