News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quick one on 4.10s in an 8.75

Started by joflaig, December 09, 2008, 08:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

If I want to swap in 4.10s will they always fit the housing or only certain housings for various 8.75s OR am I just way ignorant..educate me?  :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

yep.....will fit all the way up to 5.88's or even steeper!  No different carriers needed like a GM
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

joflaig

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 09, 2008, 08:25:59 PM
yep.....will fit all the way up to 5.88's or even steeper!  No different carriers needed like a GM

And it's about as easy as just pulling the 3rd member out do the work, nothing more, right?

Ghoste

Pretty much, have you done it before?   You'll want to be careful pulling the axles out to make sure you don't nick the seal and you'll have to reset the axle endplay when you're done but that's easy.

Runner

if your planning on reusing your yoke, make sure you get the correct spline count on the pinion gear.  i believe there are 10 spline and 29 spline pinions/yokes.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

joflaig

Ghoste

joflaig

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2008, 09:22:57 PM
We can guide you through it.

I'm just planning ahead guys.  :lol: It's 20 degrees in my garage!

firefighter3931

John, it's as simple as removing the centersection and pulling the axles out 8-10 inches...the axles don't even have to be removed from the housing.

Make sure you order the matching gears for your centersection....there are 3 different units : 741/742/489. There is also a simple way to identify the spline count on your pinion so you need to do that before ordering your ring and pinion. As Runner mentioned above there are 2 different spline counts....10 & 29. You want to be able to reuse your rear yoke so you need to match them correctly. The pinion nut size is the key to determining the spline count w/o disassembly.

I would suggest you bring the centersection and 4.10 ring & pinion to a shop that specializes in that type of installation. It's important to set the backlash properly or you will have a noisy rear end or worse....broken.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 09, 2008, 11:35:19 PM
John, it's as simple as removing the centersection and pulling the axles out 8-10 inches...the axles don't even have to be removed from the housing.

Make sure you order the matching gears for your centersection....there are 3 different units : 741/742/489. There is also a simple way to identify the spline count on your pinion so you need to do that before ordering your ring and pinion. As Runner mentioned above there are 2 different spline counts....10 & 29. You want to be able to reuse your rear yoke so you need to match them correctly. The pinion nut size is the key to determining the spline count w/o disassembly.

I would suggest you bring the centersection and 4.10 ring & pinion to a shop that specializes in that type of installation. It's important to set the backlash properly or you will have a noisy rear end or worse....broken.  :P

Ron

Sounds like a plan. But if you have to move the axles, does it mean pulling the wheels off and the disc brakes?

lisiecki1

yes, you'll have to remove those things to get to the bolts holding the axle seals in........
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

joflaig

Quote from: lisiecki1 on December 10, 2008, 08:34:16 AM
yes, you'll have to remove those things to get to the bolts holding the axle seals in........

yuck. more labor costs.

terrible one

Quote from: joflaig on December 10, 2008, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on December 10, 2008, 08:34:16 AM

yuck. more labor costs.

No way man! Do it yourself! It's truely as simple as these guys make it out to be in this thread. I changed out my rear chunk and axle seals by reading how to on this forum so I know that you can at least get the chunk out yourself and take it to the gear shop.  :Twocents:

472 R/T SE

I watched and help change one out the first time.  The second time I had it done by myself in less than an hour.

joflaig

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 10, 2008, 04:04:07 PM
I watched and help change one out the first time.  The second time I had it done by myself in less than an hour.

That is the only way I will ever learn the mechanical things, with someone showing me in person and doing it together. Doing interior work or learning body work I can learn on my own to a degree...electrical? Forget it.  :rotz:

Rolling_Thunder

Where are you located ?   I'm sure someone would be willing to show you - It is a straight forward process - we can give you a step by step direction if you need it.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

joflaig

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 14, 2008, 08:57:24 PM
Where are you located ?   I'm sure someone would be willing to show you - It is a straight forward process - we can give you a step by step direction if you need it.

I really apreciate the offer, car is in northeastern WI in an unheated garage, burh.