News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Muffler inlet and outlet question

Started by Ghoste, December 07, 2008, 09:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

If I run an adaptor to get my 2.5 pipes fitted to a pair of mufflers with 3 inch in and out, what impact does it have on the flow? 

Sublime/Sixpack

Seems like it would depend on the design of the muffler.   But I've wondered the same thing.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

Well, that's the other part.  They are Dynomax mufflers so they are pretty fair flowing to start with.  Going from 2.5 to a 3.0 high flow muffler than back down into a 2.5 seems like it should be wrong somehow?

UFO

Why not just buy the right size ones?
Download the Dynamax catalog, there are lots of options regarding length outlets etc.

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2008, 09:10:44 PM
If I run an adaptor to get my 2.5 pipes fitted to a pair of mufflers with 3 inch in and out, what impact does it have on the flow? 

It will have no negative impact if that's what you're concerned about. Going from a 3in exhaust pipe to a 2.5in muffler migh create some restriction but depending on the muffler design it might not even be an issue....in that scenario.

Quote from: Ghoste on December 08, 2008, 04:39:40 AM
Because this pair are free. ;)

Free is good....there is no downside to this swap....go for it !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

They are Dynomax Turbos.  I have Dynomax on the car now but they need to be replaced fbut a buddy offered me these, he had them on his Mustang for a very short time and then took them after a few weeks because he likes the "Flowmaster sound" better.
I guess my concern was exhaust flow velocity and its effect.  Thanks Ron.

aifilaw

If they are free, cut into the muffler body itself and weld 3" straight to the body of the muffler, that will give you the 3" transition, and more than likely will net you the very same finished product as that muffler in a 3" design.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

aifilaw

Sorry, read that backwards... then the other way, cut a circle plate with a 2.5" hole and 3" diameter and weld it into the end of the muffler after cutting off the current 3" pipe then and it should look ok.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Ghoste

I never thought of welding a plate with a new hole on it, although I think it'd be easier to go with an adaptor?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2008, 09:02:25 PM
I never thought of welding a plate with a new hole on it, although I think it'd be easier to go with an adaptor?

Adapter is the way to go....no need to butcher a muffler to make it more restrictive.  :P

As far as i know the 2.5in and 3in superturbo's are identical inside.....i remember reading that several years ago.  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

flowmaster sells a real nice reducer for this.     i go the other way on my roadrunner , three inch pipe into 2.5 mufflers and use the flowmaster reducer.   http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLO%2DR3025&N=700+115&autoview=sku

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six