News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gear vendors od + 4.10 install in 8 3/4, w/h-pipe exhaust now...

Started by joflaig, November 27, 2008, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I asked Gear vendors if a TTI x-pipe exhaust would get in the way. They were not specific with an answer, but they did say this:

"From the center of your yoke, measure down 4.25 inches from the centerline, this is where our oil sump sits.   If it touches, you will need to make some modification the the exhaust."

Anyone running a GV OD with a TTI x-pipe?

joflaig

Well, I've asked around (have to call TTI still), but it sounds like with the Gear Vendors OD Unit on a 727 you can't have an x-pipe. In fact, TTI is now selling a special H-pipe exhaust part that works specifcally with the Gear Vendors unit.

So first off, what kind of sound and performance changes would I get with an h-pipe vs the x-pipe?

And second, I thought instead of spending all the cash to upgrade to a dana 60 w/4.10s at the same time as the GV unit why not just swap 4.10s into my 8 3/4 rear for now?

I will ask the shop about this, but so I am informed first, can someone tell me the level of effort involved in that? From what I know I don't think it's too much. You just pull off the third member right and change out the ring and pinion gears? The entire axle assembly shouldn't have to come off, the differential stays that same? Am I missing anything? Will the taller gears fit without other changes?

As you can see I am no expert.  ::)

b5blue

Why not set up a whole 4.10 chunk and swap them out to compare while you get use to the car?Get more seat time and you will know what to do after you play with it more!

joflaig

Another thing I wonder is on a b body where you would then put the drive shaft safty loop on with the GV ID unit installed?

If the driveshaft is a 1 foot shorter, there would no cross member to use, so I guess it could be bolted or welded to the floor pan itself, right? What are the regs?

b5blue

They sell a loop that you bolt to the floorboards,but back where your going to be at the mufflers may make it a tight fit.(mine was mounted kind of the same place yours is now and still came very close to ex. pipes)Mine was on the car when I bought it but I'm sure I saw them in at JEG's.Good luck to you sounds like you have a really nice set-up!

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on December 07, 2008, 07:07:51 PM
Another thing I wonder is on a b body where you would then put the drive shaft safty loop on with the GV ID unit installed?

If the driveshaft is a 1 foot shorter, there would no cross member to use, so I guess it could be bolted or welded to the floor pan itself, right? What are the regs?

John, check out HemiDoug's thread on the frame connector/driveshaft loop installation. A very nice and clean installation. I would avoid bolting a loop to the floorpans if at all possible.  :Twocents:

Doug is also running a Gear Vendors unit on his 69 Charger.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41726.msg459572.html#msg459572

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 10, 2008, 11:52:46 AM
Quote from: joflaig on December 07, 2008, 07:07:51 PM

John, check out HemiDoug's thread on the frame connector/driveshaft loop installation. A very nice and clean installation. I would avoid bolting a loop to the floorpans if at all possible.  :Twocents:

Doug is also running a Gear Vendors unit on his 69 Charger.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41726.msg459572.html#msg459572

Ron

THAT's perfect, just want I needed. You guys are great.

472 R/T SE

I used Doug's car as my template (inspiration).  My loop is almost identical to his.

When I ran into problems with the 3" H pipe hitting I contacted GV.  Pete said he was gonna contact tti to address it, sounded like I was the first to experience it.  Or he made it sound like that.

Bob (rechrgd)ran into problems with his X pipe and he ended up redoing his exhaust system.

I can say for sure your loop isn't gonna work.  I almost bought that same one and was glad I didn't.

GV's been a mixed blessing.  It's great cruisin' the fast lane but when you travel with your buddys none of them can keep up.  You learn real quick who has highway gears.  I've been runnin' 55 gears since the install but my new 3:91 Power Lok is ready to go back in so I'll be hittin' the track again first of spring.

joflaig

Just talked with a tech at TTI exhaust. Yep, have to go their h-pipe, which is made for the GV Unit. They said it's a bit louder, still has the deep grumble, but I will loose 15hp in top end power. I guess it's good bye x-pipe.