News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sequencial turn signals...anyone do that here?

Started by moparsuebear, November 27, 2008, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsuebear

Go Bears!!

Ghoste

You might want to do a search on the 66-67 forum too as it tends to be seen more often as a retrofit on fastback Chargers.  Not a common one but not unheard of by any means.

AKcharger

Thanks Guys

Tell you what I'm going to have to go to 'search" school. when I did a search it brought up all kinds of posts about lights not sequencial lights

AKcharger

Hmmmm seems I'll have two issues:
1) Brake lights - looks like 1st gens tail lights are ALL brake lights (3rd gens are 2 brake lights) and the STS kit everyone uses only works with brake lights

2) Speed - I also want to do a LED mod and the lack of resistence effects the speed of the flashing, if it's too fast it just looks like it's all blinking at once

Ghoste

Could you work with a kit mfg to come up with a resistor to add inline?

AKcharger

I have a pal  whose going to electrical engineering school, I'm hoping he can figure somthing out

acelondon

I'm and Electrical Engineer. I did this on my buddy's Merc. I used a PIC Microcontoller per side, and 3 relays per side. Total cost was about 30$.

i programmer the chips so that, when given power, count (pin 7, pin 6, pin 5, off). and its 0.35 seconds (i think) per step.

the chips were about 1$ each, and relays were junkyard.

if you want some help, i might be able to throw together a Circuit board or 2 for you, and mail them out. 20$ a side maybe?

lisiecki1

how about a schematic?  i have a friend that's an electrical engineer that could build it for me:D
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

acelondon

i draw a good one up for ya. i usually build before i design : im a good engineer :D

acelondon

Schematic.

PM me if you want the code. Ill have to email it, i cant post it here(site wont let me)

tell me if you cant read my chicken scratch, ill type it out.

AKcharger

Cool Acelondon! now will that work with LEDs AND all three lights when just two are brake lights? If so sold!

acelondon

ANY 12volt load will do. So LED bulbs from the auto parts store will work fine. I am also working on a 3rd brake light idea. You wont know its there until it lights up.

the hardest part about sequencials on a 3rd gen, is the reflector between the two bulbs on the housing.

the circuit has no idea what is hooked to it, the relays isolate it. The timing wont change either.

acelondon

since my handwriting looks like i was being mauled by a bear while i was doing it:

important parts:
can also run 4 lights, just hook up Pin 3 like the others.
it blinks pins 7,6,5,3, so when 3 isnt hooked up, you get a pause.
the transistors need to be NPN, nothing special tho.

and the circuit uses positive logic, aka, the pins are grounded until they are sent high. < only an engineer that might change the design needs to know that.

part at the top left is a 7805 +5volt regulator. the PIC needs this to protect it from the cars alternator variances.

AKcharger

69ISFINALLYMINE

First of all, that is a well thought out circuit for the application.   :2thumbs:  If I can suggest it, try using opto-isolator chips instead of the relays.  I think they can handle the current draw of a turn signal bulb (check the specs on the one you find) and they don't make noise like a relay.  They are relatively cheap too and great spacesavers.  And you might want to consider hanging some capacitors on that 5v voltage regulator.  Those things "sing" and can put out a lot of noise that will eat up your PIC processor over time.

Nice job.

doc

Quote from: acelondon on December 03, 2008, 10:34:23 AM
since my handwriting looks like i was being mauled by a bear while i was doing it:

important parts:
can also run 4 lights, just hook up Pin 3 like the others.
it blinks pins 7,6,5,3, so when 3 isnt hooked up, you get a pause.
the transistors need to be NPN, nothing special tho.

and the circuit uses positive logic, aka, the pins are grounded until they are sent high. < only an engineer that might change the design needs to know that.

part at the top left is a 7805 +5volt regulator. the PIC needs this to protect it from the cars alternator variances.

acelondon

Technically, the opto-isolators would eliminate the need for the transistors also. While i totally agree with you, I do not have much experience with those chips, and therefore can't make a safe recommendation on them. I'm only 20, but learned the the old fashion way works best. :D

Size doesn't really matter when you drive a car that has a gross weights in the vicinity of 5000lbs. :smilielol: