News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headers rubbing

Started by roadrunner440, November 14, 2012, 09:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner440

on my 73 rr i did a sb to bb enginge swap with new bb kframe and used headman header my prob is they hit in the front of engine by #2 cylinder area on the inner fender i had to remove the alt to get gaskets in and on pass side they r hitting stearing box wat could cause this cause all the over ones ive seen there is enough room on driver side of 1/2 to 3/4 inch  and sugestion would be helpfull seems is im ever going to change gaskes i will be with enginge lifted up dont seem right in other people who i have talked to i hope the frames not bent but if that was the prob i wouldnt be able to get the k farme bushing bolt in right?? thanks avery one

JB400

roadrunner440

ya brand new out of the box

JB400

If it was me, I'd send them back and get a new pair.

roadrunner440

u think its the headers or somthing else? bent frame?etc.... any thing else it could be
:brickwall:

JB400

I would try a different pair of headers.  I doubt that anything is bent, but it could be.  I've heard about getting 2 or 3 different pairs of headers to get one to fit.  Your other option is to cut and grind and make them fit.

Mopar Nut

Could it be worn or wrong motor mounts?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

No matter what could be bent in the car it shouldn't cause the header to rub on the engine itself, the header is bolted to the head.  On the the other side where its hitting the steering box, now that could be caused by something else but given the fact that the other side is hitting the engine I tend to agree with the idea of sending them back.
What brand are they?

Cooter

As with any mass-produced part/s, Headers will fit some vehicles and not others. I have a set of 2" primary Hookers on the "Challenger and they don't fit worth a sh*t, but I have a set on the General Lee that fit really well. NO Cheaper header is gonna fit well. TTI is high as hell for a reason. With cheaper ($200-$300/set) headers, it's a crap shoot at best whether they will clear everything as many variables pay into this. Like machining of the block's deck/heads(.040 don't sound like much until your headers don't fit), Differences in mass produced vehicles, Engine mount differences, etc.

Good luck, but don'tr be surprized if you send them back for another set and they don't fit either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

squeakfinder

I had to heat mine up with a torch and dimple it at the steering box with my 68. Channel locks, prybar, whatever will fit down there after getting it orange hot. Not so hot that you blow a hole in it.
     If you take it to an exhaust shop I'm guessing that's all they'd be able to do.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

chargd72

Yep, that sounds like a typical set of hedmans to me.  Everyone told me that I would have a hell of a time getting mine to fit on my drivers side due to the starter and steering box.  They fit right in with no problems.  Then my passenger side, even with all that room, didn't fit for sh*t.  It didn't bother me putting some heat and a hammer to it to make it fit since they were under $200.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on November 15, 2012, 06:34:23 AM
No matter what could be bent in the car it shouldn't cause the header to rub on the engine itself, the header is bolted to the head.  On the the other side where its hitting the steering box, now that could be caused by something else but given the fact that the other side is hitting the engine I tend to agree with the idea of sending them back.
What brand are they?

I don't think they are hitting the engine, but the inner fender at the front of the engine.  Could be wrong.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph