News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 spd wiper motor "B"body

Started by werner, December 03, 2008, 04:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werner

Have a 69 charger. Wipers do not park down at cowl when shut off . Will stop anywhere on the window. Is motor shot ? Where do I look if there are wiring issues ?
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

BlueSS454

Mine does the same thing.  I have not isolated the problem yet, but I also found out that I have the wrong wiper switch on mine (2 speed).  I'm waiting for the 3 speed switch to come in.  I hope that fixes the problem.
Tom Rightler

Chatt69chgr

Could be the parking switch.  It's under the lid.  The two wiring contacts that come out of the lid that have red insulating paint around them connect to the two contacts on the switch.  On the earlier 3-speed motors ( approx 70 or 71 or 72 and down) the switch was a pretty delicate item.  They improved this part on later 3 speed wiper motors.  You can identify the later motors as they have a little black plastic housing on the outside of the lid that contains the switch.  The "wiperman" in canada that apparently quit the business about a year ago had a supply of the later motors (I think 74 and up).  He would interchange the older driveshaft out of your motor along with your parking switch and make the newer motor look like the old one. Too bad he's gone now.  The other people that do this now charge twice what he did (maybe he didn't charge enough to make the business profitable or maybe he ran out of a supply of the nice 74 and up OEM motors).  So you could take the lid off very carefully and see if the switch is broken or the contacts burnt up.  I suppose if this was the case, you could go to a junkyard and see if you could find an old motor and get a good switch off it.  It is also possible that the parking winding is no good.  So you would need a new motor.  Might be best to just take the motor off and send to one of the folks that rebuild them now or get one from Year One rebuilt.  If you use Year One, they require a good core like the one you are getting.  Can't be a rusty piece of junk either.  I think to get these rebuilt or from Year One you are looking at $400 or $500.  A potential cheaper route would be to convert back to the 2-speed motor.  I think it requires a different bushing between the linkage that attaches to the motor and the wiper drive arm under the dash.  The little linkage piece may be different too.  The bushings are available repop.  Little arm may be available but can usually be found in junkyard.  Might need to use your wiring harness connector.  The two speed switches appear on ebay all the time and are not too hard to come by.  I don't think they have been repoped.  The two speed motors are available rebuilt from Napa for about $70 as I recall.

Back N Black

Good info, Chatt69chgr. I had one rebuilt by "wiperman" very nice piece. If you not concerned about looking brand new you can get it rebuilt through UAP/NAPA for $80.00 . I also had one built from UAP/NAPA and it worked fine.

Here is a pic of the rebuilt from UAP/NAPA.

Chatt69chgr

That picture is the later motor that I was referring to.  The black plastic housing contains the parking switch on this version.

Nacho-RT74

I got a 72 motor with the black tower on cap. I got a NOS 3 speeds rebuilt kit and is stated on instruction sheet that worls to all 3 speeds motors including earliers. Came with the "towered" cap too... not sure what are the differences between one or the other though!

a member of board ( T16 ) got on its 72 a non towered motor and I guess works the same than the towered one because what I stated ( the 72 unit I got ).

On tower you'll find the cut off switch, not the "parking" switch (unlles we are calling diff toteh same stuff )...the non towered one carries same wires on cap, so I guess somehow there is a switch there too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html