News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear End Gears and Torque Converter Question?

Started by Savage6, December 09, 2008, 10:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage6

Hey guys, If I want to get more low end torque and a quicker start what would be the best thing I can do?  Should I change to a higher stall converter or change to a higher rear end gear.. or both?  And if you can only do one which would be more beneficial...

Sublime/Sixpack

Lower rearend gears (higher numerical ratio) will help, but if you go with too low of gears you'll also need higher stall in the convertor. 
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Savage6

Ok.. Sounds like I will need both.. going from cruising gear to 3.55 gears.... Thanks for the help

Sublime/Sixpack

I don't know what gears or stall convertor you have now, but if you're only dropping down to 3.55 rear gears you may not need to change your convertor. I think I'd just do the gear change and see how it performs.  :Twocents:

Savage6

ok... and if i change the gears i will also need to change the speedo gear too right?

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

John_Kunkel

The OP didn't mention what gears he's currently running but a high-stall converter and low numeric ratio gears are a bad combo because the converter will be slipping at normal road speeds.

If given the choice I would go with the gears over the converter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sublime/Sixpack

Savage6

I am starting with 2.76 and I want to go to 3.55 gears.. I am still learning about how this stuff works and just wanted to hear from someone who has done this before.  I was going to put in the gears and I thought that since I did that I would need to upgrade to about a 2800-3200 stall converter so they would work ok.  It sounds like just changing the gears will be fine so I'll go with that.  Thanks again fellas

375instroke

Why would one need a higher stall with lower gears?  If running a higher stall, that may require lower gears to get the RPMs up above the stall speed while cruising, but isn't the stall one selects based on the power band of the engine, and then gear?  If it's the same motor, and it's working well with the current stall, lower gears may give better acceleration, but lower stall?  I guess I understand the concept of stall speed selection, but how does one know exactly what stall to select?

Runner

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on December 09, 2008, 11:14:04 AM
but if you go with too low of gears you'll also need higher stall in the convertor. 

please explain this part for me. i dont understand.           

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Sublime/Sixpack

:sorry:  How embarrassing  :blush2: For some reason I was thinking bigger cam besides the lower gears.  My mistake.  I PM'd Savage6 to set the record straight.

Savage6

I got your message Sublime... thanks for clearing that up for me..  Savage