News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another heater box question

Started by Hemidog, November 26, 2008, 12:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

...and I suspect there will be more.

What is this and what does it do? it's connected to the AC heater box where you take the air from the outside or inside of the car.

I pulled the two vacuum lines and thought one of them was plugged with something, it turns out there is a wire in the middle of it, and I managed to rip it apart before I found that out. What's this wire doing? It's just in the middle of the vacuum line, it isn't plugged to anything.

baullz

Its a time delay relay,

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 28, 2008, 05:43:28 PM

The purpose of the time delay relay is to energize the compressor for a few minutes when Heat or Defrost is selected, this prevents the windshield from fogging up due to the warm air hitting the cold glass.

In '70 they got smart and just run the compressor continuously in the Defrost mode to dehumidify the windshield (and the whole interior).

Not exactly sure what the purpose of the wire in the vacuum line is for though :shruggy:

chargerguy111

Any body know how or if the heater box is grounded?

Hemidog

Quote from: chargerguy111 on November 26, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
I don't think so, the only electrical thing in there is the fan motor, and that's grounded on the firewall.

Hemidog

Quote from: Hemidog on November 27, 2008, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: chargerguy111 on November 26, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
I don't think so, the only electrical thing in there is the fan motor, and that's grounded on the firewall.
Then again, it could be grounded by the strap that holds the whole thing up, but it isn't necessary I think.

Hemidog

Do I have all the ducts that I need for the AC box?
They were not attached when I got the car.
I think i'm missing one for the dash defrost?

chargerguy111

I thought I was ready to put my heater box in,but looking closer,I think I need to put my kick panel insulation in first,which I don't have yet.Man,it seems like every thing I get ready to put in ends up in me needed something else to buy.This is getting very expensive.

jb666

I don't have ANY of the parts necessary for heat.. Looking at this thread I think it'll be much easier to go Vintage.  :shruggy:

Hemidog

Quote from: jb666 on November 29, 2008, 05:19:52 PM
I don't have ANY of the parts necessary for heat.. Looking at this thread I think it'll be much easier to go Vintage.  :shruggy:
There's no doubt about it! I'm not looking forward to installing all those hoses...

Hemidog

Well, after finding this nice picture of a unrestored charger, I think I have all the ducts I need, even more.
The two lower ones must come from some other car (anyone knows who?)

baullz

Ya Im not sure what the two are that are X'd out either but I dont have them for my '69 with A/C so they must be from something else. 

You are correct you are missing one defogger duct, will need one like the one circled:

Also not sure what the piece is just to the left of the defogger duct, but it could be just the angle of the pic too, but dont remember a piece like that.

Hemidog

I have found the other defogger duct, so i'm good, thanks.
The thing to the left connects to the left vent, just see the picture in between the steering column bracket.

baullz

Quote from: Hemidog on December 01, 2008, 02:20:12 PM
The thing to the left connects to the left vent, just see the picture in between the steering column bracket.

Oh ok I see it now  :brickwall: